PAC-12 cancels football in Fall 2020.

The problem is what this means when it comes to litigation exposure. Let's say the SEC plays and an athlete gets very sick, just one, which the statistics say will happen out of that sample size. Doesn't matter if he dies, experiences long-term heart issues or long-term lung issues. Now the lawyers come in, not the hacks but top tier plaintiffs' attorneys (these are the guys that almost never lose). They will argue that the university took an unreasonable risk in light of the fact that several mid-majors and at least 2 of the majors cancelled their season, but the evil university this athlete played for put money above his life and that the kid couldn't really say no because of peer pressure, pressure from the coaches or fear of loss of scholarship.

The damages, particularly the punitives, could add up to hundreds of millions. I believe you'll see at least one more Power 5 cancel and at that point the two remaining ones won't want to assume that risk.

You may not think the Pac-12 and the Big-10 are not any good but if they're not going to play, it significantly increases the probability the season gets cancelled.

Wouldn’t that same logic open suit against any business or school in the country? A case like this would go all the way to the Supreme Court, unless Congress passes legislation on liabilities.

The SEC, Big 12, and ACC will follow soon.
Yeah, and that's the right decision. Would be much better to play in the spring. You eliminate maybe going 3 and out, you might get fans in the stands, reduce the risk of kids having permanent heart damage.

Wouldn’t that same logic open suit against any business or school in the country? A case like this would go all the way to the Supreme Court, unless Congress passes legislation on liabilities.

I don't think so. I believe it's extraordinarily rare for tort liability cases to make it to the Supreme Court. They're up to theirs necks in criminal law issues, governmental regulatory issues and state versus citizen issues.

The NBA allowed Magic Johnson to play with AIDS. And Michael Jordan played a game with the FLU. I don't think the schools can force players out even if they have illness.

Reactions: lukeneyland
The NBA allowed Magic Johnson to play with AIDS. And Michael Jordan played a game with the FLU. I don't think the schools can force players out even if they have illness.
Yeah what would happen if someone accidentally elbowed Magic in the nose and a gush of blood somehow got on there eyes, mouth, face, open cut ect ..., not trying to be morbid but that seems like a possibility

2019 football season ends and players begin to look forward to 2020 season.

Chinese COVID-19 project research leader:
Shame.gif

Yeah, and that's the right decision. Would be much better to play in the spring. You eliminate maybe going 3 and out, you might get fans in the stands, reduce the risk of kids having permanent heart damage.

You do know that it is a fact that H1N1 influenza had a higher percentage chance of heart risks than COVID, right? Why didn't we cancel sports then?

You do know that it is a fact that H1N1 influenza had a higher percentage chance of heart risks than COVID, right? Why didn't we cancel sports then?

That's a good bit of info to use in discussions i have across reddit and twitter with corona bros. I would love to get a link if you have one.

That's a good bit of info to use in discussions i have across reddit and twitter with corona bros. I would love to get a link if you have one.

Here is one from John Hopkins that mentions heart and organ damage as a threat from both viruses, though it seems to just generally be seasonal flu they are talking about vs corona virus. Funny thing is that Myocarditis is mentioned by name with the flu only. In truth is is a minor risk with all respiratory diseases. Doctors, including those that treat athletes are well aware of this btw.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Here is another article from the Mayo clinic that basically says that myocarditis can be caused by just about any kind of infection, including viral, bacterial, or parasitic. Even drug abuse and the common cold can cause it.

Myocarditis - Symptoms and causes

The highlighted section of this article states that up to 9% of people infected with a certain strain of flu would develop myocarditis. Notice that it doesn't say anything about critical cases, just cases in general.

Fatal Influenza B Myocarditis in a 34-Year-Old Female - The Western Journal of Emergency Medicine.

Here is one that states that up to 7 percent of hospitalized patents of COVID developed myocarditis. That's hospitalized patients in this one study.

Recognizing COVID-19–related myocarditis: The possible pathophysiology and proposed guideline for diagnosis and management.

Unfortunately I do not have one comparing the two directly, but listened to it having been discussed among some physicians. As you can see by what I have posted here, the myocarditis argument for being scared and shutting down sports doesn't hold water since nearly any infection can cause it and other types of infections have been more prevalent in causing it in the past......and we never shut down sports.

Here is one from John Hopkins that mentions heart and organ damage as a threat from both viruses, though it seems to just generally be seasonal flu they are talking about vs corona virus. Funny thing is that Myocarditis is mentioned by name with the flu only. In truth is is a minor risk with all respiratory diseases. Doctors, including those that treat athletes are well aware of this btw.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Here is another article from the Mayo clinic that basically says that myocarditis can be caused by just about any kind of infection, including viral, bacterial, or parasitic. Even drug abuse and the common cold can cause it.

Myocarditis - Symptoms and causes

The highlighted section of this article states that up to 9% of people infected with a certain strain of flu would develop myocarditis. Notice that it doesn't say anything about critical cases, just cases in general.

Fatal Influenza B Myocarditis in a 34-Year-Old Female - The Western Journal of Emergency Medicine.

Here is one that states that up to 7 percent of hospitalized patents of COVID developed myocarditis. That's hospitalized patients in this one study.

Recognizing COVID-19–related myocarditis: The possible pathophysiology and proposed guideline for diagnosis and management.

Unfortunately I do not have one comparing the two directly, but listened to it having been discussed among some physicians. As you can see by what I have posted here, the myocarditis argument for being scared and shutting down sports doesn't hold water since nearly any infection can cause it and other types of infections have been more prevalent in causing it in the past......and we never shut down sports.

I'm sorry. You are not allowed to bring actual documentation to back up your arguments. That's not what we do here. This is your first warning...

I'm kinda bummed about the PAC-12 canceling. First time out here and watch to see USC and UCLA play but I have to wait :/

You definitely can’t box or compete in MMA if you test positive for HIV, HCV, etc.

VN Store

Back