Overreaction

The biggest overreaction might have been thinking that our 8 game win streak over absolutely **** teams somehow meant it was 1998 again. We had people saying that our defense was better than theirs, our oline was the best in football, and our coaches were tops in the nation. None of that seems true after the reality of yesterday.

I disagree about the other qb. Maurer showed enough last year in his first start, that he had the potential to be a very good qb, and then got hurt, and was not the same after that, and Strout played a very good fist half of a game, can't remember who it was against. Sure they will make freshman mistakes, but so is jg, why not go with the younger one who has a much higher ceiling than jg.
JG makes freshman mistakes in his 5th year, and he doesn't have the bandwidth to not let those mistakes derail him

We got our AzZ handed to us by a much more talented and better coached team. Not shocked we lost but disappointed in how we played in the second half. I am not going to overreact and call for JP’s head but what in the he11 are we doing on offense? JG’ s play in the second half was abysmal, however the biggest let down was the o line. Once again Vols show on CBS that we are not ready to hang with elite teams.

Our offense got beat up and down so badly it was painful to watch. A fifth string QB was on the team that beat us, but the unit that beat us and crushed our souls was their defense not their offense. Out defense kept him in check for most of the game until their gas tank was completely empty. This loss is on our O and coaches almost exclusively.
Exactly, Georgia is so talented they don't need anything more than a caretaker at QB. Best defense in the nation and it ain't close. My issue is we never adjusted play calling to take the heat off. Screens, quick slants, something. A tight end that could catch a pass would help but evidently we don't have one.

Have these people calling for Pruitt and the administrations head over this, created the biggest overreaction ever or the most ridiculous overreaction ever?
It's ridiculous. At 3:30 yesterday afternoon Volnation was thrilled with the direction of the team. Three hours later people act like it's the end of the world and heads need to roll. Clearly, Tn needs to improve - particularly at QB. But you have to remember that Kirby has signed top class after top class. The Dawgs are loaded and elite on the defensive side. I can assure you that UGA fans were sweating through that first half and the Vol front 7 looks legit. In the second half, UGA's talent and depth showed up. I don't think it's anymore complicated or dire than that.

Yeah I get it.

To quantify all the overreactions though, this one is up there.

JP has done nothing but win for about a year straight. First set back in a dang year. We have won every game for a year and recruited our faces off.
almost 1/2 of the current commits are 3 stars, look at the teams ahead of us and it’s the opposite!

No. People are giving up on him already lolol.

I know it will calm down.

The football team we have today is night and day much better than the team we fielded durung Pruitt's first year. We are getting better and we are recruiting better. We still have holes which need to be filled We need more talent and experience at TE, MLB, DT, QB,and and DE. We do not if we have a depth at most positions because very few of our Freshman class have practiced enough to determine where they can best improve our team. The last two classes have some very good football players and we will iimprove as they gain experience.

I look forward to seeing the Alabama-Georgia game next week. I think Georgia has better talent than Alabama this year, but I am not sure they will win the game next week.

So proud of going into the half 21-17. Kirby made adjustments at half and the Vols got complacent thinking they just need to keep doing what they were doing. That didn't work. Their line dug in while ours fell apart. We were simply outmatched the 2nd half, both on the field and the brains on the sidelines.

Although I share the frustration and appreciation of JG as others, there is TOO MUCH highly rated talent at QB for us to watch 2-3 turn-overs at that position several games a season. If we are to experience that, then I would rather see it out of a freshman getting his feet wet. I have to say JG's time has expired and others need some live-action playing time.

I posted elsewhere- we got beat by a fifth string not year qb.

He’s not a fifth string QB. He’s a starter, and he looked liked one. He made a few suspect throws, but he managed the offense and also made a lot of good throws. He has good instincts and moves very well.

He’s more than enough to win with the talent he has around him.

Have these people calling for Pruitt and the administrations head over this, created the biggest overreaction ever or the most ridiculous overreaction ever?
Not calling for his head just for him to change his approach to this season. The season is a gift, one can literally play their young guys as many games as they would like without burning a year of eligibility but yet some waste it thinking they can turn a bologna sandwich into 5 diamonds meal. We literally have 10 games to figure out which personnel groups work best in real game-time scenarios. This practice great translating to game time greatness isn't always fact, I give you JG! Are we basing playing time on those we feel are deserving or those who can get the job done? Some positions their needs to be compromise if you want to be great.

P
I saw a team that in the first half wanted it more. The issue was that we could not run the ball any in GA. This made us 1 dimensional and made a good defense even better. GA made the decision that they were gonna blitz and make JG make quick decisions. This has been his Achilles his entire career. I am not sure why our offense never has any designed QB rollouts to move the pocket. Maybe it is JG just can’t do that. Maybe it’s coaching or a little of both. It really seemed though that once GA got to JG at the beginning of the 2 nd half that our play calling changed.
GA not only out schemed Cheney with their blitz package, but TN did themselves harm by creating crazy & untimely penalties and turnovers. It always seems to be the same issue with the Vols as we get totally embarrassed in the big games playing top tier programs. Somewhere, sometime, we need to win one of these and repeat with another, but as of now, it’s “wash & rinse as it’s been for way too long around here.

Exactly. And when UT couldn't enforce their will on UGA's defense, AT ANY POINT, they panicked, and made mistakes. Conversely, UGA stuck to their guns, and wore UT's soft defense down to a nub, and won, going away, in the end.
UT's defense is not good.
You leave any defense on the field as long as we did and they’re going to suffer. The defense stood strong on a short field including multiple goal line stands.

VN Store

Back