Overall Thoughts on UTM Game.

ole_orange

People who watched the game, what are your thoughts on this. A lot of us didn't get to watch the game because we don't have SportSouth. :cray:

Ensight on what happened tonight would be greatly appreciated! :hi:

UT controlled from start to finish.

Sloppy play in the second half from UT.

Good game, but I see a lot of potential problems with this team.

Tyler played a great game with a couple loose fouls that would have been a problem against better competition.

Brian Williams showed some great "hop" to his step and really battled under the basket, even late in the game, for rebounds. He had a great complete game, minus one bone-headed hail-mary pass/turnover.

Bobby Maze played a pretty good game, with a 7/2 assist/to ratio. That isn't great, but it's not terrible, I guess. Maze seemed to lead the team fairly well for most of the game, but they boys got sloppy...and I mean sloppy...by the mid-way point of the 2nd half.

JP Prince had a pretty good game - and saw a lot of minutes. Prince surprised me with a few (number?) offensive rebounds and fairly strong put-backs.

Wayne Chism put up another strong performance, double-double. He seemed to almost be disinterested in the game...but did well.

Tatum was very, very quiet, a change from the first game. Negudu was pretty quiet, but that isn't that much of a change.

Last edited:
What I saw was a team who was in my opinion light years ahead of where we would have thought they would be. Let me be the first to say that I am no basketball genius but I thought they looked really good. I feel that in the second half they started trying to show boat a little too much. All in all I was happy with the outcome. Again however I am not exactly brilliant when it comes to the game of basketball.

My biggest concern was not taking care of the ball real well. Way too many alley-oop passes that were thrown errantly. I think we had 18 turnovers, and against UTM, that is not good. We try to make too many spectacular dunks, and instead, we turn the ball over. This won't fly against Gonzaga, Memphis, Kansas, Florida, etc.

I'll wait on Hats analogy before reading too much into an obviously out manned team.

Possible problems that could surface with this team:

1. An injury to Maze or Smith would kill us. They are our lifeblood. The team automatically becomes better as a unit when either of them is inserted in.

2. Negedu is not polished. He has unboundless energy, but he had some bad plays on offense, like one time where he got blocked by two players at once. Hopson might not be very good at defense.

3. The freshmen are freshmen. Not so hot shooting tonight, J.P and Brian Williams really picked up their slack on offense.

4. Complete Famine at the trey tonight. One of the threes was Brian Williams, and the other was Woolridge with a hand in his face with 4 on the shot clock. Every other wide open shot was missed, and there were plenty of them.

On the plus side: Brian Williams did everything but the hook shot, The FT line was golden, and Wayne Chism is rebounding very well. Team chemistry looks very high, two straight games with 20+ assists.

way i saw it, they played great in the first half and just kinda chilled in the second half. scotty hopson didnt get much play time. bobby maze started off strong, kinda dictating the pace of the game, and then kust chilled for the rest of the game. B-dub and tyler dominated the whole night and tabb was solid as the backup pg and proved he could pass with 4 assists.

First half was a clinic, lost focus in the second half. Not surprising though, up huge at half can do that to you.

Terrible from 3 but still scored 90.

Tyler's a beast and if any team loses their starting PG and best player, their in trouble.

Long way to go but, they are light years ahead of where we thought they would be.

We will learn a lot about them Fri. @ MTSU and the following Old Spice Tourny.

What about Scotty Hopson?

had a couple of dunks from right under the basket and mad one free throw, he only played for like 1 and 1/2 minutes in the second half and honestly didnt play much in the first either. i was worried that he was injured, the lack of pt was weird cause he didnt really do anything to deserve getting his pt taken away.

I just hope S. Pearl's playing time is due to the level of our opponents. He would struggle to get PT at a few area high schools.

Played bad, but played an awful team so we blew them out. We had a near Crompton completion percentage on alley oops. They are inconsistent because of their youth and will need to stay more focused, play better D, and hustle more.

The deep ball still may be a concern. I'm not sold that our performance on Saturday wasn't an aberration. Chism and Williams shouldn't be shooting from deep, and (although I'm not a basketball expert) Hopson's shot just doesn't look right. We'll see.

Seems like just a few days ago I heard Pearl saying that Williams does NOT have the green light from beyond the arc.

VN Store

Back