Over the course of a year a net of 788,381 People Moved to The 'freest' Five States in America

I think it has more to do with not wanting to spend 1/2 the year indoors. Down here in Florida, 80/70 degrees 365 days never gets old.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Not trying to pick a fight, but what are the similarities? Hell maybe I’ll learn something.
I’ve lived and worked in Texas and never felt the oppressive hand of government, no more than I would in Tennessee. I can feel the oppression when I cross into Virginia.

Texas is a high tax state, it’s in the top 5 highest business property taxes, it has a state franchise tax along with several counties that have them. On the individual they don’t have an income tax but city/county property taxes are among the highest in the country. If you’re in any type of waste business in Texas they bend you over and use crunchy peanut butter as lube. Especially in the cities, Houston being the worst. One of the worst things I learned about TX is that if you are charged with a misdemeanor and go to court you basically have to plead guilty in order to appeal it. That’s bull.

VA (I grew up there) is no better on taxation and now is a terrible place to live. In the 70s/80s it wasn’t bad.

Reactions: AM64
Nah, I’m enlightened.
Finish your post before replying to other posts. The suspense is killing me.

"One of the worst things I learned about TX is that if you are charged with a misdemeanor...

When people vote – with a moving van or a U-Haul truck – they vote for lower taxes and smaller government. That’s the conclusion from comparing a new report on freedom at the state level with the most recent U.S. Census Bureau data.

Over the course of a year a net of 788,381 people moved to Florida, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, the "freest" five states in America, according to the Fraser Institute’s annual Economic Freedom in North America index.

The annual report, published by Canada’s Fraser Institute, ranks the states and provinces of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico using objective measures of government spending, tax rates and labor market freedom. The least-free U.S. state is New York. West Virginia, Alaska, California and Vermont round out the bottom five.

Chuck DeVore: Americans move to freedom – people fleeing these 5 states. Here's why
Virginia???

I fully support and encourage people to move from restrictive states to Florida, Virginia, New Hampshire, and Texas.

Stay the hell out of Tennessee, though.

Much of California is apparently buying up property in Scott County and others north of Knox. And I mean A LOT according to a friend that’s in real estate around these outlying counties. Fortunately it sounds like the majority are anti big, intrusive govt and favor low taxes.

Reactions: McDad
Much of California is apparently buying up property in Scott County and others north of Knox. And I mean A LOT according to a friend that’s in real estate around these outlying counties. Fortunately it sounds like the majority are anti big, intrusive govt and favor low taxes.
Careful they aren't Cali commies sending the good ones ahead to test the waters.

I find it better to immediately distrust and base all irrational decisions on that foundation.

When people vote – with a moving van or a U-Haul truck – they vote for lower taxes and smaller government. That’s the conclusion from comparing a new report on freedom at the state level with the most recent U.S. Census Bureau data.

Over the course of a year a net of 788,381 people moved to Florida, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, the "freest" five states in America, according to the Fraser Institute’s annual Economic Freedom in North America index.

The annual report, published by Canada’s Fraser Institute, ranks the states and provinces of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico using objective measures of government spending, tax rates and labor market freedom. The least-free U.S. state is New York. West Virginia, Alaska, California and Vermont round out the bottom five.

Chuck DeVore: Americans move to freedom – people fleeing these 5 states. Here's why

Sadly, many are bringing their politics with them.

Perfect insight. It should be prominently posted on all signs coming into Tennessee.
The freedom in Tennessee is palpable. “You’re welcome here, but only if you conform to my ideals” lol.

You kids are a hoot.

The freedom in Tennessee is palpable. “You’re welcome here, but only if you conform to my ideals” lol.

You kids are a hoot.
Your comment is like saying I welcome all locusts to my garden, but you can't say they're not welcome in your own.

Texas is a high tax state, it’s in the top 5 highest business property taxes, it has a state franchise tax along with several counties that have them. On the individual they don’t have an income tax but city/county property taxes are among the highest in the country. If you’re in any type of waste business in Texas they bend you over and use crunchy peanut butter as lube. Especially in the cities, Houston being the worst. One of the worst things I learned about TX is that if you are charged with a misdemeanor and go to court you basically have to plead guilty in order to appeal it. That’s bull.

VA (I grew up there) is no better on taxation and now is a terrible place to live. In the 70s/80s it wasn’t bad.

Aren't those cities controlled by the new-marxist party

You kids are a hoot.

You want California policies coming to Tennessee?? There’s a reason people are leaving in droves. Why make unnecessary new policies to change what has made a state great to live, work, start a business and play in? There’s a reason some states are great and others are crap. And yes, some ideologies don’t deserve the air time...because they don’t work and don’t make a state better. That’s why they’re leaving. So why try to implement those failed policies in the state you’re moving to?

VN Store

Back