Our next HC?

I'd like to see how successful he is at Ga St. But assuming he is as successful as I expect he will be, he'd definitely be up there on my list.

Kim English is another one I'd love to have as HC eventually.

I like Steve Forbes, but I'd have to put Lanier higher on my wish list. I don't want to lose English, but he probably needs some experience first. I think that Schwartz would do a good job as well. I'm good for about another 10 years of the Deacon. That would indicate that there will be multiple EEs and likely a FF or two along the way.

I like Steve Forbes, but I'd have to put Lanier higher on my wish list. I don't want to lose English, but he probably needs some experience first. I think that Schwartz would do a good job as well. I'm good for about another 10 years of the Deacon. That would indicate that there will be multiple EEs and likely a FF or two along the way.
I do not expect barnes to coach here 10 more years in the slightest. I expect he finishes out this latest contract and that will be it. He's already 65, so that gets him to 70, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retires before that. I agree with your candidates though. We have some pretty solid options.

I do not expect barnes to coach here 10 more years in the slightest. I expect he finishes out this latest contract and that will be it. He's already 65, so that gets him to 70, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retires before that. I agree with your candidates though. We have some pretty solid options.

I think he'll coach into his early 70s as long as the program continues with the upward trajectory and doesn't regress. As long as the recruiting classes look like the one that's coming in he'll have a good reason to keep on going.

I'd like to see an extended coaching tree grow as well. It would be excellent if Oliver could find some success as a HC. I think that the lack of a coaching tree has hurt TN football. Majors' has a very impressive network. Fulmer has Cutcliff and he was actually on CJM's staff initially. Chief kind of flamed out (and iirc was also a CJM hire). Other than those two on CPF's staff, there haven't been a lot of recognizable names. TN Basketball should have more considering how many coaches there have been, but unfortunately Houston through Buzz didn't develop much of a program.

One guy that I never want to see considered will be sitting on Auburn's bench tomorrow. And I'm not talking about the guy in the sweat soaked suit.

Reactions: gisman
Steve Forbes of ETSU gets my vote

View attachment 264957

Yes and no. The association with Bruce hurts, but he's a big reason that CBP was so successful here. There's also the unknown as to whether he can elevate his recruiting at the P5/6 level. I'd say so but it's a different situation between identifying 2-stars with upside as opposed to convincing 4 and 5 stars to come to Tennessee.

Love Lanier and he’s done a great job at GAST this year, but they’ve been solid for a while with Hunter, where Forbes has built is own track record of consistency at ETSU.

I’d rather have Forbes at this point, but wouldn’t be at all surprised to look at the records 3-4 years from now and see that Lanier had every bit as much success.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Forbes will get another job well before Barnes retires UNLESS the Skeltons in the closet are too much to deal with. Either way he won’t be out next HC imo

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Jim Boeheim is 75, Coach K 73 and not even indicating retirement. Barnes is in better physical condition than both. Coaches coach.

How long his mother stays healthy could be a factor. She's not far away and is fairly young relative to CRB. She could be a bigger factor in CRB not being the UCLA HC relative to funding the buyout. But let's not open the UCLA can of worms.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Jim Boeheim is 75, Coach K 73 and not even indicating retirement. Barnes is in better physical condition than both. Coaches coach.
Yep. Barnes does not strike me as someone who would enjoy retirement. Else he would’ve just retired after Texas fired him instead of coming to Tennessee.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back