Our next HC?

Matt Figger wouldn't be a bad choice choice in a few more years (not the first guy I'd call, but not a bad candidate).

well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pearl got fired from UT and given a harsh sentence for lying. Yeah, it was dumb for him to do. You guys realize there has been a major scandal in the NCAA of paying players, and having other students take classes and forging class results to keep students eligible, all the while, the NCAA refuses to hold schools like UNC accountable for these egregious acts. But yeah, let's not re-hire a brilliant coach who loves UT because of his past and his assistant getting in trouble for his own personal gain and not even the schools.

How do you guys feel about Calipari? Sean Peyton?
How many employers would re-hire someone that has lied and brought heat upon the company because of it. None that plan on being in business years down the road. As for what others have done and gotten by with, well, our university doesn't have to answer for that, just what happens at our campus. Loved Bruce while he was here, but all he had to do is say yes when first asked and take the wrist slap. Taking a chance on rehiring him or anyone attached to him while he was here would only place a big magnifying glass upon every little dealing done here at the university, no matter if legal or not.

Reactions: coach799
well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Pearl got fired from UT and given a harsh sentence for lying. Yeah, it was dumb for him to do. You guys realize there has been a major scandal in the NCAA of paying players, and having other students take classes and forging class results to keep students eligible, all the while, the NCAA refuses to hold schools like UNC accountable for these egregious acts. But yeah, let's not re-hire a brilliant coach who loves UT because of his past and his assistant getting in trouble for his own personal gain and not even the schools.

Sean Payton is both a professional coach and a football coach, so my feelings there are irrelevant.

John Calipari, who I believe is guilty as sin for issues at UMASS and Memphis, was never implicated, fired, and given a show-cause penalty.

These examples are apples and oranges. If you know of an NCAA basketball coach who was fired and given a show-cause penalty, and then later rehired at that same school and everything came up rosy, I'm all ears.

Key here, is you seem to be missing the underlying point, which is that Tennessee doesn't need Pearl. I understand a lot of his fans want to see it happen, but he only got the AU job because they were desperate and really had nothing to lose. They were a garbage program shooting for the moon. Tennessee is potentially on the front end of its best string of succes since Pearl was canned. Why risk that all to rehire the very person who perpetuated the damage to begin with?

I realize that would be a great story and it would potentially bring things full circle, but I seriously doubt that the risk merits the reward. There are good basketball coaches outside of Bruce Pearl and they come with far fewer headaches and questions that will need to be answered, especially if runs afoul of the rules, again.

Last edited:
Why would Pearl leave a school that unabashedly covers for their winning HC’s to return to one that wouldn’t whisper a heads up about a stupid pic?

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

Your last question is not helping your cause, I hate them both.
I loved the Bruce years, they were fun and I wish things had turned out different. But at this point, I don’t think you can hire him back.
GBO!!

Sean Payton is both a professional coach and a football coach, so my feelings there are irrelevant.

John Calipari, who I believe is guilty as sin for issues at UMASS and Memphis, was never implicated, fired, and given a show-cause penalty.

These examples aren't apples and oranges. If you know of an NCAA basketball coach who was fired and given a show-cause penalty, and then later rehired at that same school and everything came up rosy, I'm all ears.

Key here, is you seem to be missing the underlying point, which is that Tennessee doesn't need Pearl. I understand a lot of his fans want to see it happen, but he only got the AU job because they were desperate and really had nothing to lose. They were a garbage program shooting for the moon. Tennessee is potentially on the front end of its best string of succes since Pearl was canned. Why risk that all to rehire the very person who perpetuated the damage to begin with?

I realize that would be a great story and it would potentially bring things full circle, but I seriously doubt that the risk merits the reward. There are good basketball coaches outside of Bruce Pearl and they come with far fewer headaches and questions that will need to be answered, especially if runs afoul of the rules, again.
I just assumed he was talking about Sean Miller.
GBO!!

These examples aren't apples and oranges. If you know of an NCAA basketball coach who was fired and given a show-cause penalty, and then later rehired at that same school and everything came up rosy, I'm all ears.

Calipari somewhere befriended the Clintons. Dude has skated on everything in order to get the Ky job.

oh really. do tell what exactly Pearl did that he could still have a job there?

Pearl "has never been implicated in anything as it pertains to this specific case other than that he employed someone who broke NCAA rules for his own personal benefit "

His assistant "Person...accepted money from an outsider. But the allegations there are not that he used the estimated $91,000 to lure anybody to Auburn's campus. Instead, the allegations are that he used the money to create influence over players already on campus so that he could theoretically steer them to a certain financial adviser whenever they became professionals. In other words, Pearl did not obviously benefit from Person's violations the way Miller allegedly benefitted from Richardson's violations -- which is why it's not unreasonable to believe Pearl really might not have known what Person was allegedly doing. "

so yes, he has run a clean program which is why he recently got an extension. Innuendo and defamation about someone who hasnt been charged with any wrong doing has no place here, sir.
Yes. And Kansas just sent back a response to the NCAA that denies all allegations and that Bill Self had absolutely no knowledge of any wrongdoing by Adidas and his staff. Wink, Wink. Sure he didn’t😂😂😂. I like Bruce and always did but don’t be so sure he knew nothing. Just like Calipari didn’t know that somebody else took Derrick Rose’s ACT. Wink, Wink. And Sean Miller and Will Wade with his strong a$$ offer. And so on and so on. Don’t be naive.

Reactions: cncchris33

Calipari and Sean Miller? Sleazy and crooked as can be. Cal is just better at having his minions do the dirty work. And the NCAA isn’t done with Miller. His day is coming along with Self and Wade.

The other schools having issues are not relevant to a conversation about rehiring Pearl. You went from saying he runs a clean program to now inferring that everyone else cheats too so why can’t he? Sure, it’s crazy that Will Wade and Bill Self are still coaching while Pearl got suspended at UT and then got a show cause. But then again, Pearl’s assistant was indicted in federal court, Pearl refused to cooperate with his own school, and he’s still coaching.

You have no idea who is doing what...and I said when we hired Pearl, that he was getting better recruits because he liked to “play the game.” He just burned too many bridges, and I don’t blame our administration one bit for not ever giving him another chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: cncchris33
Calipari and Sean Miller? Sleazy and crooked as can be. Cal is just better at having his minions do the dirty work. And the NCAA isn’t done with Miller. His day is coming along with Self and Wade.

What is the NCAA waiting on? Nothing will happen

What is the NCAA waiting on? Nothing will happen
Maybe, maybe not. The NCAA is certainly unpredictable when it comes to timing. And they most certainly protect the sacred cows. But they have delivered the notice of allegations to Kansas finally so we'll see where that goes. There are a lot of people predicting Kansas winning it all and being stripped of the title later. If Kansas, Arizona and LSU get away with what has been heard on tape, then they might as well break it up and start over. They will be more of a toothless lion than they already are and recruiting will get even sleazier than it already is.

VN Store

Back