Our first game

I think this year is going to be unlike any year as far as selection Sunday goes, assuming there is one...the historical data might as well be thrown out the window, this is a year unlike any other. In large part the eye test is probably going to be used more so than date like NET/RPI etc, the variance in games and some teams doing league only etc is going to skew numbers way too much.
For sure it's an odd year and who really knows how they'll handle it? For seeding, that just sounds like a nightmare for the committee to mostly use the eye test to differentiate. On the other hand, they could go with the angle of rewarding teams for not having a bunch of positive tests cause major schedule disruptions and rely on the usual metrics.

You guys could be right. And again, not a big deal and I'm not saying we're doing anything wrong by scheduling teams like UTM or MT. In fact, I'm of the opinion we need a game like that prior to Cincy. I just hope we're looking at a couple top 100 additions somewhere in December as well. IMO better to be proactive to look more attractive in March than hope they give us a break because of things out of our control.

There is a strong positive correlation between making the Final Four and having the 1, 2, or 3 seeds.
Probably because those are usually the best teams in the nation theoretically. Plenty of teams have made the final 4 without being a 3 seed or better.

1s, 2s, and 3s have taken 73% of the Final Four spots.

NCAA Final Four Appearances by Seed
So the best 12 teams in the nation have made the final four 73% of the time? I'm not sure that is surprising by any means. To the contrary, the 4th seed makes it a fair bit more than the 5th seed despite having very similar paths. (vs 12/13, vs 4/5 vs 1, vs 2/3 generally speaking). I'm going to go out on a limb and just say that the 4th seed is typically the better team, not that they have some significantly easier path (though 5s have a history of losing to 12s). It's March Madness, anything can happen.

Though the original argument is playing a couple of bad teams in December is going to drop us down a seed? Not sure I get that fully, the committee isn't going to see that we beat MTSU and say "ah, they're the 4th seed now." We will play whoever we can play, which isn't easy to do. Conference slate will mean a lot more to the committee this year, more so than normal.

Reactions: Vol49er
We’d be a 4 seed today. Getting to a 2 or 3 and avoiding a #1 until a regional final would be a huge advantage.

Well it's an in-state team on Dec. 9th. I should have played the lottery, haha.

VN Store

Back