Our first game

Rob Lewis said it sounds like UT-Martin on Wednesday is likely
Glad to be playing any game at all. But UT-M was one of the worst teams in all of college basketball last year, and they just had the major tragedy with their coach passing away. Hopefully we're able to add a couple more in December that help to raise our profile a bit, like a Western Kentucky and another power 5 school that needs to add a game.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Glad to be playing any game at all. But UT-M was one of the worst teams in all of college basketball last year, and they just had the major tragedy with their coach passing away. Hopefully we're able to add a couple more in December that help to raise our profile a bit, like a Western Kentucky and another power 5 school that needs to add a game.
We have Cincinnati, Kansas out of conference, and then a full conference slate, I’m not really worried too much about our profile.

We have Cincinnati, Kansas out of conference, and then a full conference slate, I’m not really worried too much about our profile.
Our remaining non-conference schedule other than Cincy and Kansas already includes 2 teams who finished 300+ in the NET last year (Tenn Tech and SC Upstate). Ideally you don't play more than 1 of those teams, but now in a reduced schedule we've got 3 of them, assuming those teams don't improve (I realize they could be better this year).

2 seasons ago when we were really good, we had 12 non-con games. Only 1 of them, Tenn Tech, was against a 300+ team. 2 games were against teams in the 200s. We had 4 opponents in the top 50 (3 in the top 25). Also, the SEC was the 3rd best conference that year. It's very early, but so far the SEC doesn't look like it will be anywhere close to #3. After all that, our SOS that year was 25.

Not saying I'm worried about it - it's a crazy season, and some things will be out of our control. Just saying I hope we're able to add a couple top 100 teams to help ease the SOS damage done by losing Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and even VCU.

Appears you’re worrying about us making the dance? I’m thinking elite 8 or deeper run, not concerned about getting in

Whether or not Tennessee makes the NCAA Tournament will likely be almost entirely dependent upon their SEC performance; if UT were to miss the field of 68 this year (which is, we should hope, highly unlikely), the entire blame would be on Barnes' coaching/roster adjustments as opposed to scheduling miscues.

The concern with profile/SoS comes from a desire for UT to receive the most advantageous seed possible. The Vols won't be going undefeated in spite of a somewhat weak (#5 or #6 conference) SEC, so it'd be nice to counterbalance some of these losses (say, Kentucky/Florida/a bubble team or two) with respectable OOC wins. If Tennessee goes 13-5 in conference with a 19-6 overall record (losing to Kansas in Knoxville and winning games against MTSU/UT-Martin), their seed is going to suffer compared to what they'd pull if they had more OOC opponents in the top 100/150.

Reactions: Vol49er
Our remaining non-conference schedule other than Cincy and Kansas already includes 2 teams who finished 300+ in the NET last year (Tenn Tech and SC Upstate). Ideally you don't play more than 1 of those teams, but now in a reduced schedule we've got 3 of them, assuming those teams don't improve (I realize they could be better this year).

2 seasons ago when we were really good, we had 12 non-con games. Only 1 of them, Tenn Tech, was against a 300+ team. 2 games were against teams in the 200s. We had 4 opponents in the top 50 (3 in the top 25). Also, the SEC was the 3rd best conference that year. It's very early, but so far the SEC doesn't look like it will be anywhere close to #3. After all that, our SOS that year was 25.

Not saying I'm worried about it - it's a crazy season, and some things will be out of our control. Just saying I hope we're able to add a couple top 100 teams to help ease the SOS damage done by losing Gonzaga, Notre Dame, and even VCU.
I think this year is going to be unlike any year as far as selection Sunday goes, assuming there is one...the historical data might as well be thrown out the window, this is a year unlike any other. In large part the eye test is probably going to be used more so than date like NET/RPI etc, the variance in games and some teams doing league only etc is going to skew numbers way too much.

If ever there was a year for the Selection Committee to ignore profile, SOS, etc., it is this year. Especially if they take a look at who we tried to play. It isn’t Tennessee’s fault that the games that were cancelled didn’t happen. It isn’t Gonzaga’s, VCU’s, or Charlotte’s, either. It is what it is. At this point, you scramble to find games to play, even if it’s Pellissippi State. It isn’t likely to be viewed harshly, and if it is, just like the cancellations, it’s out of our control.

Reactions: berryvol
I think this year is going to be unlike any year as far as selection Sunday goes, assuming there is one...the historical data might as well be thrown out the window, this is a year unlike any other. In large part the eye test is probably going to be used more so than date like NET/RPI etc, the variance in games and some teams doing league only etc is going to skew numbers way too much.
Looks like we had the same idea at the same time there.

Reactions: berryvol
Don't we have to play like 20 games to qualify for the tournament? Makes sense to me to add extra games regardless of quality if that is the case.

VN Store

Back