OT: Karen Aston OUT as HC of Texas Longhorns WBB

Two things. One if Walz had been offered our job he would have been here. Too much politics behind the scenes from certain groups blocked him from every getting a chance to turn us down. This is fact.

Two things:

Is it fact that Tennessee was willing to pay him over $1.5 million?

If not, is it fact that he would have come to Tennessee for less than Louisville is now paying him?

Citations that would indicate that either was even likely...since we certainly have no proof that either was a fact ?

Otherwise, this is just more wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Two things:

Is it fact that Tennessee was willing to pay him over $1.5 million?

If not, is it fact that he would have come to Tennessee for less than Louisville is now paying him?

Citations that would indicate that either was even likely...since we certainly have no proof that either was a fact ?

Otherwise, this is just more wishful thinking.

I do not know if Tennessee was willing to pay him over 1.5M. Never got there.

I do know he would have come for less.

Im not guessing.

I do not know if Tennessee was willing to pay him over 1.5M. Never got there.

I do know he would have come for less.

Im not guessing.

Are you willing to share how you know he would have taken a pay cut? And how much less he would have been willing to sign for?

Reactions: Benionsopinion
I wish WE had hired Langley she's done a great job at a place that's never done anything

That's not factual.

Christy McKinney was Rice's coach from 1993-2005. During her tenure, she posted 6 seasons with twenty or more wins...most coming in the last part of her stay. They qualified for the NCAA tournament in 2000 and again 2005, her last year during which the team finished with a 24-9 record.

In Langley's first year, Rice posted a 6-22 record. The year before, they finished 6-21. That result would have had some LV "fans" calling for her head.

Since then,, Rice has won 20+ games all 4 seasons (28-4 two years ago) and qualified for NCAA twice including the last two years when they won the C-USA championships.

A caveat is that they did lose their first round game last year to #18, whereas Kellie's team went to the third round and put a scare into Stanford. This year, Rice only played one ranked team (TAMU, who only beat them by 3 or 4 points). Still, Rice did manage to lose to eight teams including Old Dominion and Charlotte.

From what I've seen, Langley is an excellent coach who would likely have done well here. But I'm not seeing why her 5-year resume as a head coach is significantly better than Kellie's. C-USA teams are not exactly heavyweights. The MVC seems a lot tougher place to win.

If he didnt come to UT, I just don't see him going to the other UT.

Hasn't exactly had issues at UL

All things being equal any sport at Texas is a better job than Tennessee. You don't have to recruit nationally if you don't want to, your own TV network, more money than God, facilities are top notch, they are getting a new arena, and Austin is a very cool town (but getting too crowded).

The only thing that sets Tennessee apart from a womens basketball standpoint, and its a big thing, is the Pat Summit tradition. Her tradition and this fan base is the only reason Tennessee would be a better job.

Reactions: vettefool
All things being equal any sport at Texas is a better job than Tennessee. You don't have to recruit nationally if you don't want to, your own TV network, more money than God, facilities are top notch, they are getting a new arena, and Austin is a very cool town (but getting too crowded).

The only thing that sets Tennessee apart from a womens basketball standpoint, and its a big thing, is the Pat Summit tradition. Her tradition and this fan base is the only reason Tennessee would be a better job.

It should be noted that at Texas, you're recruiting against A&M and, more importantly, Baylor in the state for WBB. It's one of the main reasons that Gail didn't do much there. Ironically Aston was able to recruit much better without much better results. If Gail had been able to recruit better she would've done well at Texas, as she's a better coach than Aston by a mile and a better coach than Mulkey IMO, as well.

Also "tradition and fanbase" is a HUGE reason (or reasons). You say "only" like it's some small thing. In women's basketball, where there aren't many of programs with tradition OR fan support, let alone both of them, that makes Tennessee a much better job. Admittedly, Texas isn't void of tradition, but with only one NC from 1986, coupled with pretty much next to zero fan support, it's no contest.

Last edited:
Univ of Texas may not be one of the top 10-15 womens basketball programs but it has the resources to be a powerhouse: money, recruiting base, fan support, visibility and brand name. Depending on how long Schaefers there, it has the potential to transform into an elite program.

VN Store

Back