OT: Karen Aston OUT as HC of Texas Longhorns WBB

I hope she's hired someplace else. I think she'd be appreciated somewhere that needs another direction.

Most of the Twitter comments were supportive of her, and seemed to think it was a bad move. I wonder if they are going to pay up to go for a big gun?
I would characterize it more as shock that she was the first to go ahead of the men’s coach Shaka Smart

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Doubt Walz would leave for Texas. Will be interesting to see who lands there though.

I think she’s assistant coach material. If anyone is looking for a defensive assistant, she’s your gal.

She's a lot like Holly. A coach that can't develop talent and severely underperformed at a big-time program. Much better as an assistant or a coach at a program with no expectations. No real knowledge of X's and O's and loves to spit out coaching platitudes and not much else.

Texas was arguably the most talented team in the country in a couple of the years she was there. The collection of players she had amassed at one time was insane. They never got realistically close to a FF.

Doubt Walz would leave for Texas. Will be interesting to see who lands there though.
more money than God, talent as far as the eye can see, Austin is cool...as long as the can manage all the ego maniacs why not?

No AD in this country gets less ROI than Texas and it’s because they can’t get out of their own way most of the time.

more money than God, talent as far as the eye can see, Austin is cool...as long as the can manage all the ego maniacs why not?

No AD in this country gets less ROI than Texas and it’s because they can’t get out of their own way most of the time.

If he didnt come to UT, I just don't see him going to the other UT.

Hasn't exactly had issues at UL

Walz isn't leaving UL makes twice as much as UT paid Aston.... and I do not think Texas is gonna put a premium on women's basketball.....

Aston was at least a recruiting upgrade from Goestenkoers and probably did the best she could, but her players never seemed to improve and the attrition would raise eyebrows from most fans and observers. It sounds very familiar to LV fans.

Her players never seemed to develop under her leadership and I know that isn't always the fault of the head coach but can speak to the type of player being brought into the program, which goes back to talent and attitude evaluation. Aston did win a few games but I think Texas knew it wasn't getting better and decided to cut their loses and move on.

I will say I do believe most young athletes are very different than even a decade ago and most old school tactics don't work as well anymore which is going to raise the volume of transfers in most programs. It seemed to me that most transfers once upon a time were about two things: playing time and/or homesickness. Now it seems even team regulars and starters pull up and leave and the distance from family isn't always a factor.

I will be curious to see who Texas hires because on one hand it should be a destination job given their resources but even their men's basketball and football teams seem to be stuck in mediocrity just like the women's program. That's a head scratcher for sure.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Two things. One if Walz had been offered our job he would have been here. Too much politics behind the scenes from certain groups blocked him from every getting a chance to turn us down. This is fact.

Two never say never. Texas is a hot bed of talent and they have great resources, great facilities etc. Seen them all. Plus they might very well pay for a coach this time around.

Langley is a winner. Great lady that does things right. Kids love playing for her.

This is a good job.

VN Store

Back