Opryland trip

I worked there during the summer for about 10 yrs. It was a bunch of 16-22 yr old kids put into a safe fun environment. We'd work all day then go out at night. It was a blast. 20+ yrs later and many of those people are still my good friends. Its a shame my kids couldnt experience it.

I worked there one summer.
I miss Opryland. My grandfather was a real estate attorney in Inglewood and supposedly had an option on that land but turned it down because it was a flood plain. All my cousins worked at Opryland in the summertime. We had our family reunion there as well.

Reactions: McDad
I miss Opryland. My grandfather was a real estate attorney in Inglewood and supposedly had an option on that land but turned it down because it was a flood plain. All my cousins worked at Opryland in the summertime. We had our family reunion there as well.
Well....they were right.....Great Nashville Flood of 2010 or 11.....flooded Oprymills

Learned quickly where not to stand at the Old Mill Scream. It could ruin your day if you got drenched too early in the day. Walking around with swamp @ss is not fun. Good times.

Reactions: vols40
@Joallen, thanks for the memories. That was my first job in 84. Loved working there. Didn't make much money back then, but like @GreveHaller said, it was a lot of fun going out with other employees.

That Fair Park roller coaster was scary as hell for 6yo me.

Fair Park memories bring a tear. Pretty sure it was open all day, every day in season. If you could go early, you almost had the place to yourself. I think the big roller-coaster lived on for awhile after the other rides, etc were gone. I’m impressed that so many here remember it. I grew up within walking distance, and started walking to the races at the Speedway before I could drive.

Fair Park memories bring a tear. Pretty sure it was open all day, every day in season. If you could go early, you almost had the place to yourself. I think the big roller-coaster lived on for awhile after the other rides, etc were gone. I’m impressed that so many here remember it. I grew up within walking distance, and started walking to the races at the Speedway before I could drive.
The Nashville fairgrounds old white coaster. You can google some images of it. That whole complex is undergoing major renovations right now. The only old structure staying is the race track.

The Nashville fairgrounds old white coaster. You can google some images of it. That whole complex is undergoing major renovations right now. The only old structure staying is the race track.

Yes, I spent much of my life at that Speedway as a spectator, then a competitor. I’m praying it remains and continues to operate throughout my lifetime. There are factions here, however, who would love to see it replaced with other development. I’m concerned that the 10-acre “mixed use” giveaway will threaten it.

Yes, I spent much of my life at that Speedway as a spectator, then a competitor. I’m praying it remains and continues to operate throughout my lifetime. There are factions here, however, who would love to see it replaced with other development. I’m concerned that the 10-acre “mixed use” giveaway will threaten it.
I don't know if you have seen the plans, but it is supposed to stay. They are building new exhibit halls and the old ones will be torn down to make way for the soccer stadium. You should really see all the residential around the fairgrounds. A lot of the property has been bought and torn down and new slingshot style homes are going up every where around it.

fairgrounds_fall_17.5b201eb54c61e.jpg

VN Store

Back