Opportunity to move Ga game to late in season

wmcovol

Auburn wants to play Ga earlier to get the game away from their bama game. GA is supposedly ok with it. Fulmer needs to step up and demand Vols take that slot on Ga schedule to break up the Fla-Ga back to back SEC has loved for Tennessee for years. Playing those two in Sept or Early Oct so close has never made sense to me.

Of course it takes Auburn to get it done. Tennessee hasn’t carried any weight in SEC office since Kramer left.

We were just discussing how we wished the game fell later in October so we could enjoy the fall colors for a week before/after the game.
I was talking to a guy today about this. It's stupid that the SEC doesn't rotate dates for annual opponents on the schedule. I'd like to go to Lexington when it's not freezing and it's still horse season. He'd like UGA to come to Knoxville when the leaves are turning and it's not 90. Nobody wants to play in Gainesville in September every time. Etc.

I was talking to a guy today about this. It's stupid that the SEC doesn't rotate dates for annual opponents on the schedule. I'd like to go to Lexington when it's not freezing and it's still horse season. He'd like UGA to come to Knoxville when the leaves are turning and it's not 90. Nobody wants to play in Gainesville in September every time. Etc.

This and they should just get rid of the divisions. Have 3 permanent opponents and rotate the other 5 annually. I think it's ridiculous that our home-and-home rotation with the West is now a 12 year cycle. Having a home game against Auburn, Ole Miss, LSU, etc every 4 years makes more sense than every 12 years.

Last edited:
I think we should have a 16 team SEC with four-4 team divisions. Tennessee's division would be Vandy, Kentucky and Virginia. Each season they would have a home and home within their division, plus 3 other SEC games: one rival (AL) and 2 rotational games for TN.

Then put LSU(FL rival), Bama (TN), aTm (SCAR) and Auburn in a division; FL (LSU), GA (Aub), SCAR and NCST in a division and Mizzou, MissSt, Ole Miss and Arky in a division. That away FL, GA, AL, LSU and Aub and can destroy each other every year.

Auburn wants to play Ga earlier to get the game away from their bama game. GA is supposedly ok with it. Fulmer needs to step up and demand Vols take that slot on Ga schedule to break up the Fla-Ga back to back SEC has loved for Tennessee for years. Playing those two in Sept or Early Oct so close has never made sense to me.

Of course it takes Auburn to get it done. Tennessee hasn’t carried any weight in SEC office since Kramer left.

Shame it takes Auburn bitching to get it done. But, I’ll take the help if it means us not having to play UF AND UGA back to back.

Reactions: wmcovol
Why? The Vols usually fare really well against Georgia after the annual Florida beat down. Rather see the Florida game get moved to later part of the season.
Florida is adamantly opposed to moving our game and they have more influence with the conference office than we do.

Reactions: wmcovol
Never understood the fascination with moving the UF game.

Why can't we be ready and they are? Do they start practicing a month before we do
Sadly we're their cupcake before the hard games begin. I can't believe they've owned us the way they have.

Reactions: VolNExile
Florida won't do it because of having UGA and FSU late in the season.

I can see the UGA game moving for either the UK or mizzu game.

I'm fine with Florida where it is. We now play 3 games before it. I do agree that it anyways being got as hell is a pain though

Reactions: VolNExile
Never understood the fascination with moving the UF game.

Why can't we be ready and they are? Do they start practicing a month before we do

It gives Florida time to start Clemsoning. I think we have done well when we played them late in the year.

Florida won't do it because of having UGA and FSU late in the season.

I can see the UGA game moving for either the UK or mizzu game.

I'm fine with Florida where it is. We now play 3 games before it. I do agree that it anyways being got as hell is a pain though
Love to move the Mizzou game from Nov to September. Much better weather.

I know what Auburn wants to do but with LSU, AL, GA on the schedule every year and now aTm/MissSt playing well , when would be a good time for them?

Long time season ticket holder and I may have missed one or two, but I only remember one game vs LSU in Neyland.

If it goes to late November it would be good. However putting it closer to the 3rd Saturday in October would not be so good.

I always hear people complaining when it's brought up to rotate all west opponents. I think that's what should be done so you can see all of the west teams within a reasonable amount of time. People are always whining that you can't take Bama off the schedule, it's a tradition. Poo on that. If you want to play Bama every year then play them in Atlanta the first of December when it means something. I just think your whole schedule should vary from year to year as to when you play SEC teams. Rotation can be decided years in advance to allow scheduling of other non conference games.

I like the idea!

-- Florida in late September
-- Bama the 3rd Saturday in October
-- UGa in mid or late November

Would spread the perennial challenges out nicely.

New formula could be:

- CHALLENGING opener vs OOC Power 5 opponent
- cupcake
- FLORIDA
- mizzou (or kentucky or USCe)

- SEC WEST opponent
- cupcake (or bye week)
- BAMA
- cupcake (or bye week)
- USCe or (kentucky or mizzou)

- kentucky (or mizzou or USCe)
- cupcake
- UGA
- Vandy

That would play out nicely every year.

So heck yeah, if Auburn and UGa are good with it, the Vols should jump at it!

VN Store

Back