Opportunity to move Ga game to late in season

Why do Auburn and Alabama typically play in the last game of the regular season besides bragging rights? What would you think if they played the Iron Bowl in the third week of September? The game has huge hype mainly because of where it lands on the season schedule. It's called building your season towards a climatic ending and keeping the fans excited through November. Which would you rather see Tennessee play in game #12 - Vandy or Florida? I guess no one remembers the big thrill of beating Florida in 2001 in the last game of the regular season because of the debacle in the SEC Championship the following week.

Right now all of this talk of moving Florida has little meaning as neither they nor us are winning championships. Moving Georgia would be helpful right now so that we aren't playing Florida, Georgia, a tough SEC West opponent, then Alabama in a 4 week span. The schedule can be broken up with a cupcake game between the Gators and the SEC West games. Even pro teams with multiple games against top opponents rarely fare very well during that stretch with injuries often happing to multiple key players. Let's face it. Our schedule is way too front loaded. Even in our really good years I would start losing interest in UT football after the Bama game. It's time UT got some favor with the SEC powers that be.
If we we're good again? I'd rather play Vandy. 2001 Vols, 2017 Auburn shows how a tough game can drain you before the SECCG

Keep Georgia but I think the Florida game should be the rivalry week game or next to last.

Tennessee to play Florida and Georgia at the beginning of the season like we always do -or- play them in November. Personally, I'd like to see those games moved to the end of the season. What's the benefit of having your most important games right out of the gate? I don't see any upside to that.

Bumping this thread back to the front page, I've been looking at 2019 schedules for Georgia, Auburn, and Tennessee. Our games appear to be easily switched around if each team can move an OOC cupcake game. To make it work with the extra open date as well as other SEC game commitments each have next year, Tennessee could switch Chattanooga to 9/28; Georgia could switch Arkansas State to 10/5; and Auburn could switch Kent State to 11/16. The only snags would be that Georgia and Auburn would likely have to play as early as 9/14 in 2019 to make their schedules work and Tennessee's open dates would be only three weeks apart. Below is Tennessee's revised schedule (home games in Bold All Caps). I like it because Tennessee's big three opponents are spread out in three different months.

Aug. 31 GEORGIA STATE
Sept. 7 BYU

Sept. 14 Open Date
Sept. 21 at Florida
Sept. 28 CHATTANOOGA
Oct. 5 Open Date
Oct. 12 MISSISSIPPI STATE
Oct. 19 at Alabama
Oct. 26 SOUTH CAROLINA
Nov. 2 UAB

Nov. 9 at Kentucky
Nov. 16 GEORGIA
Nov. 23 at Missouri
Nov. 30 VANDERBILT

At least one of them needs changed.

I like the thought of Florida having to come play in Knoxville in November.

Additionally:
Georgia never has to play at Florida.
Florida never has to play at Georgia.
Neither have to play Alabama every season.

We need to optimize our schedule simply to level the playing field.

I, personally, wouldn’t care about moving the Tennessee game to another part of the year.

However, from the Florida end of things, I am not moving the game because Tennessee keeps losing. That’s not a valid reason and make no mistake, that’s the only reason people want the game moved.

Florida also does not benefit from Tennessee’s gauntlet because Florida is the first team up.

Having said all of that, I do sympathize with the argument that the cluster of games should be broken up. Y’all should know that it’s not a conspiracy though. Vandy and Kentucky were kept on the back end because that’s when they were traditionally played. Maybe one of you all is old enough to remember when those games weren’t in November. I don’t know when it would have been.

No reason it has to stay that way though

I, personally, wouldn’t care about moving the Tennessee game to another part of the year.

However, from the Florida end of things, I am not moving the game because Tennessee keeps losing. That’s not a valid reason and make no mistake, that’s the only reason people want the game moved.

Florida also does not benefit from Tennessee’s gauntlet because Florida is the first team up.

Having said all of that, I do sympathize with the argument that the cluster of games should be broken up. Y’all should know that it’s not a conspiracy though. Vandy and Kentucky were kept on the back end because that’s when they were traditionally played. Maybe one of you all is old enough to remember when those games weren’t in November. I don’t know when it would have been.

No reason it has to stay that way though
Yeah its more about the clusters than individual games so I wouldn't say its the only reason why some think it should be moved even tho a change may give the perception of a better chance. UT has sucked for better than a decade so that just shines a big spotlight on it. The schedule as far as who is on it, is what it is. Your gonna pull several ranked teams in the conference over an 8 game schedule and if you schedule the WVs, Oklahoma's, and Oregons in 1 of your non's your likely to catch another early. I don't think its a conspiracy and there have been some years when that same cluster wasn't near as tough.

Auburn wants to play Ga earlier to get the game away from their bama game. GA is supposedly ok with it. Fulmer needs to step up and demand Vols take that slot on Ga schedule to break up the Fla-Ga back to back SEC has loved for Tennessee for years. Playing those two in Sept or Early Oct so close has never made sense to me.

Of course it takes Auburn to get it done. Tennessee hasn’t carried any weight in SEC office since Kramer left.
If we move any game, I would prefer to play the Gators later in the year. Maybe we could move Vandy to first SEC game.

Additionally:

Those three things put UT at a big disadvantage. At least the SEC could break up the gantlet the Vols go through every year.

Additionally:

Jacksonville is deep in gator territory, so it's essentially a home game for Florida every year.

Jacksonville is deep in gator territory, so it's essentially a home game for Florida every year.

1. It’s a 50-50 split and as geographically close to the Georgia border as any site could be.

2. This is regarding a previous post...the game being in Jacksonville is not a disadvantage for Tennessee. Whether in Jacksonville, Athens, Gainesville, or Bora Bora, one team is going to get a win and another team is going to get a loss.

I've thought the same in that Florida does not have to travel north in November. What next is Florida going to play an SEC east rival on a neutral field every year ? Oh wait they get that advantage too by NEVER having to travel to Georgia. This conference is fubar in some of their thinking.
Yeah but.... Every other year that game in Jacksonville gets counted as a home game and they only get 3 SEC games at the Swamp.

That's likely because of the opponents
It's true. Johnny Majors saved his job repeatedly with the Ole Miss, Kentucky, Vandy finish. It got a little tougher in the 90s but our schedule has always been about getting to the South Carolina game at the end of October.

I think we should have a 16 team SEC with four-4 team divisions. Tennessee's division would be Vandy, Kentucky and Virginia. Each season they would have a home and home within their division, plus 3 other SEC games: one rival (AL) and 2 rotational games for TN.

Then put LSU(FL rival), Bama (TN), aTm (SCAR) and Auburn in a division; FL (LSU), GA (Aub), SCAR and NCST in a division and Mizzou, MissSt, Ole Miss and Arky in a division. That away FL, GA, AL, LSU and Aub and can destroy each other every year.
HustlandVolinColo, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read on VolNation. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this forumis now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yeah but.... Every other year that game in Jacksonville gets counted as a home game and they only get 3 SEC games at the Swamp.

The point is that neither team should be spared the trip to the opposing teams home field every other year to play that game. It is an unfair situation to all other teams in the SEC. Home field does make a difference.

The point is that neither team should be spared the trip to the opposing teams home field every other year to play that game. It is an unfair situation to all other teams in the SEC. Home field does make a difference.

So, let me get this straight.

A game that has been played in Jacksonville since 1933 is now unfair to the entire league?

Why do Auburn and Alabama typically play in the last game of the regular season besides bragging rights? What would you think if they played the Iron Bowl in the third week of September? The game has huge hype mainly because of where it lands on the season schedule. It's called building your season towards a climatic ending and keeping the fans excited through November...
Exactly. It’s their history and tradition. Why should they change it for us?

Schedule Georgia on the current Mizzou Saturday. No tradition there.

VN Store

Back