Opinions on living in Maryville?

MEDVOL

Home Sweet Home To Me
We are looking at a job so I’m hoping to get some opinions on the area. Would work in Maryville. Looking to live in either Maryville, Alcoa, or really like the property out in Louisville near or on the lake. Would eventually like to build a house on at least 1-2 acres, if not more. From what I know and have seen of the area, I have a hard time finding cons, if the job is the right fit. Love the proximity to West Knoxville, Downtown Knoxville, the airport, the mountains, etc. Obviously Maryville City schools are great. Any input?

They’re all good. Well managed, fiscally responsible governments. Friendsville is another fine Blount County community. Maryville and Alcoa have relatively large tax bases from many large manufacturers.

Reactions: tbh and MEDVOL
I was born and raised in Maryville. I am now back and forth between Knox and Bonita Springs ( I like to double-down on my allergies ) but Maryville is an interesting little town.

Thoughts on Maryville -

It's seriously close to the Smoky Mountains. You can be in the NP or on the Little River within 20 minutes if you like that sort of thing. Likewise, you can be in Knoxville proper in a similar amount of time.

The Greenbelt system is amazing. You can walk or ride a bike from West Maryville all the way to Alcoa if you desire on a well lit and maintained trail that chases a creek for most of the journey. The parks along the way are very nice as well.

There is a tiny little "downtown" area with live music, bars, etc. We used to have a killer festival in the fall but the dumbasses in the local government decided they didn't want to play booking agent any longer and killed it. They should have let someone else do this all along. Oh well.

The historic area around Maryville College is the best part of this town and always has been. There are more expensive areas (newer developments) but the are devoid of the charm this area has in spades. Old (well built) houses, lush greenery, and even sidewalks. The wooded campus of MC is awesome for a little hike or bike ride as well.

Traffic used to be non-existent here. That is no longer the case. Don't be on the road when school lets out in West Maryville.

The Maryville City schools are as good as advertised. I do think you see a few too many snotty kids coming out of there. It was always that way.

Overall it is a nice town that maintains its somewhat stodgy identity. The blue-hair mafia controlled this city for decades. It is a miracle you can buy a drink in this town.

If you look near the water in Louisville, you better have a look-see when the water levels are low. It is not pretty and usually stinks. Beautiful when the water is up!

I moved to Maryville from eastern NC in 1997 as a 17 year old high school junior. Thought I’d hate it, but I love it and have never moved away.

Reactions: MEDVOL
The streets are named for WWI Allied generals.

And you must learn to pronounce it properly. Stick about a dozen marbles in your mouth and saying it is good practice. Should really sound like "Mur-a-vul."

Reactions: UTwild82
Tossing in a few different places to eat in Maryville across a wide spectrum. White linen to hole in the wall, so something for everyone!

Mexican - This isn't even close! Maryvillians will steer you towards Los Amigos and there is nothing wrong with that, but the real deal is in the back of a Mexican Grocery store on the East side of town. If you have lots of southerner in you, it is likely you have eaten more than one pot of pinto beans. Go here and order the beans plus anything else. Don't tell your sweet little mamaw but she just got her ass served when it comes to beans!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-lupita-mexican-store-2-maryville

"BBQ" - In quotes because this isn't your standard southern BBQ but the base ingredients are the same. People love Full Service but since Bread of Heaven left town, Rocky's Jamaica Sunrise is it for me. Get the pulled pork to try it out. It will be familiar, but with a Reggae hit that delights the senses courtesy of Jerk seasoning. Also get the red beans and rice and hit it hard with their dark black sauce.

Coffee - Vienna is locally roasted and legit good. Vienna Coffee Company

Fancy Fare - It's Foothills Milling Co (reservation required) and The Walnut Kitchen. If you want anything fancier you will have to pay a visit to Blackberry Farms.
The Walnut Kitchen
Foothills Milling – Foothills Milling Company

And finally, for a breakfast institution that is likely technically in Alcoa but who cares, all is forgiven when you light into a Hungry Homer special at Midland Restaurant. You won't find a better biscuit (not even the 6 dollar hipster biscuits in Knoxville) and their gravy is divine. Seems to be a blend of sawmill and white flour. Whatever it is, get an extra bowl and get it early because it rarely makes it through breakfast hours. Do not order the fruit cup unless you are pining for the metallic tinge you might recall from your youth courtesy of Del Monte.
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner | Midland Restaurant | Alcoa, Tennessee

Want to talk about rednecks and church pews? I could write a book on this town.

LOL! Dumbest take ever!
Please educate me then as we’ve got a place on the river near Townsend and spend a fair amount of time there. The full service bbq place is pretty good but only to go. Subs and such is very average for a deli. The Black Bear is pretty good but keeps inconsistent hours. The blue tic tavern used to be good pizza but is now terrible (worst pizza I’ve had in years terrible). The new peaceful side social club is pretty good. Everything else is pretty much a chain unless you count Lee’s chicken or Richie creme. Still looking for a good hamburger. Not found a good Mexican or Chinese. If we want a good meal we drive to Ye Ole Steakhouse. Seriously - what am I missing?

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Please educate me then as we’ve got a place on the river near Townsend and spend a fair amount of time there. The full service bbq place is pretty good but only to go. Subs and such is very average for a deli. The Black Bear is pretty good but keeps inconsistent hours. The blue tic tavern used to be good pizza but is now terrible (worst pizza I’ve had in years terrible). The new peaceful side social club is pretty good. Everything else is pretty much a chain unless you count Lee’s chicken or Richie creme. Still looking for a good hamburger. Not found a good Mexican or Chinese. If we want a good meal we drive to Ye Ole Steakhouse. Seriously - what am I missing?

good burger? Apparently you have never eaten at Hot Rods

@sona has a pretty good list there.

Aubrey's is great. You've got Calhoun's, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Hot Rods, Lemon Grass is a fantastic thai/asian place that has been a staple in West Maryville for 20+ years. Midland is great. Walnut Kitchen, Chicken Salad Chick. My favorite Mexican place is Pancho's and I enjoy Los Amigos too. There is a place called Windy City that is supposed to have great burgers, but I haven't bene there yet - maybe on my next trip. Full Service BBQ is really good. My mom told me about a new Cuban place that has opened up, but I forgot the name of it. She said it was awesome. There are a ton of great restaurants in Maryville.

Great additions. The Cuban place could be Aroma Cafe, but it isn't new. It is on East Broadway and seriously good. I'd say as good as what I get when I'm in South Florida.

For the burger hunters, Smoky Mountain Brewery has a nice one. Pretty sure it starts as a whole chuck roast and is ground there.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

Dancing Bear, Walnut Kitchen, Foothills Milling and RT Lodge. Try The Maryville Corner Market for a great lunch menu, beers on tap and their market side sells the best chicken salad you’ll ever eat along with Bentons bacon, locally sourced meats and cheeses from Sweetwater. It’s a pretty cool, low key place.

VN Store

Back