Opinions on living in Maryville?

The streets are named for WWI Allied generals.

And you must learn to pronounce it properly. Stick about a dozen marbles in your mouth and saying it is good practice. Should really sound like "Mur-a-vul."
Whatever happened to Murrville Otto Sells, or however they spelled it on their sign? I think it was out 411. On Google Maps I see a Maryville Auto Sales now. I would be crushed if they renamed it for some foo-foo reason. ☹️

I was born and raised in Maryville. I am now back and forth between Knox and Bonita Springs ( I like to double-down on my allergies ) but Maryville is an interesting little town.

Thoughts on Maryville -

It's seriously close to the Smoky Mountains. You can be in the NP or on the Little River within 20 minutes if you like that sort of thing. Likewise, you can be in Knoxville proper in a similar amount of time.

The Greenbelt system is amazing. You can walk or ride a bike from West Maryville all the way to Alcoa if you desire on a well lit and maintained trail that chases a creek for most of the journey. The parks along the way are very nice as well.

There is a tiny little "downtown" area with live music, bars, etc. We used to have a killer festival in the fall but the dumbasses in the local government decided they didn't want to play booking agent any longer and killed it. They should have let someone else do this all along. Oh well.

The historic area around Maryville College is the best part of this town and always has been. There are more expensive areas (newer developments) but the are devoid of the charm this area has in spades. Old (well built) houses, lush greenery, and even sidewalks. The wooded campus of MC is awesome for a little hike or bike ride as well.

Traffic used to be non-existent here. That is no longer the case. Don't be on the road when school lets out in West Maryville.

The Maryville City schools are as good as advertised. I do think you see a few too many snotty kids coming out of there. It was always that way.

Overall it is a nice town that maintains its somewhat stodgy identity. The blue-hair mafia controlled this city for decades. It is a miracle you can buy a drink in this town.

If you look near the water in Louisville, you better have a look-see when the water levels are low. It is not pretty and usually stinks. Beautiful when the water is up!
it isnt 'hi what's your name' its 'hi did you go to maryville high school?'

'no but i knew X and Y?'

'oh did they go to Maryville High?'

stuck in 1995.

There's a nice little Indian place beside Bargain Hunt but I can't remember the name of it

'no but i knew X and Y?'

stuck in 1995.

You aren't wrong but that has gone on for for a long time, back to the 50s at least. For whatever reason, West Maryville has always given off a vibe not dissimilar to Farragut, just not as pronounced. It's why I mentioned "snotty kids" in my first post. Some people in Maryville treat the school system like a caste system, always have.

To this day, I believe that William Blount tends to produce more likable kids. Also, people who think the Maryville / Alcoa rivalry is "friendly" aren't from here. It is a strange little vortex of a place where many people strongly identify with the school they attended, seemingly for life.

You aren't wrong but that has gone on for for a long time, back to the 50s at least. For whatever reason, West Maryville has always given off a vibe not dissimilar to Farragut, just not as pronounced. It's why I mentioned "snotty kids" in my first post. Some people in Maryville treat the school system like a caste system, always have.

To this day, I believe that William Blount tends to produce more likable kids. Also, people who think the Maryville / Alcoa rivalry is "friendly" aren't from here. It is a strange little vortex of a place where many people strongly identify with the school they attended, seemingly for life.
Not a scientific study, but one of my wife’s siblings went to Maryville and she’s far and away my least favorite of my in-laws .

'no but i knew X and Y?'

stuck in 1995.
I thought Chattanooga was the only place that did that. Interesting.

Here, where someone asks where you went to school, they mean high school. Not college.

Reactions: VolNExile

Thoughts on Heritage?

Thoughts on Heritage?

Heritage always gets a bad rep for academics. I'll tell you the truth, when Heritage opened people used to ask kids if they rode a tractor to school. That's the snotty attitude you can get with some MHS people.

I had friends from Heritage. I had one that could have thrown a rock and hit Heritage High, but he was a big ol boy. Guess where he played Football? My friends and I had friends from different schools. We spent a lot of time in the Heritage kid's backyard because they had the best playground (the Little River), knew the best off-roading places, and built the best rope swings.

There is a difference in academics if you have children. Sometimes I think the better attitude you find at other schools is worth the trade-off.

Ms Snooty I guess? I swear, HS is LIFE for some people here. Maybe it is like that in other places too, but it has always been recognizable in Maryville. I am trying to give a fair assessment of the town I grew up in. There is a lot of good here, and a lot of good people. There are also people here who feel like they are better than the surrounding area. I put a kid in Farragut too, I know the attitude very well.

It is a nice town, but I'm not blinded by it. It's cliquish and it won't change. Too much of people's identity is invested in where they went to school or what part of town the live in.

We are looking at a job so I’m hoping to get some opinions on the area. Would work in Maryville. Looking to live in either Maryville, Alcoa, or really like the property out in Louisville near or on the lake. Would eventually like to build a house on at least 1-2 acres, if not more. From what I know and have seen of the area, I have a hard time finding cons, if the job is the right fit. Love the proximity to West Knoxville, Downtown Knoxville, the airport, the mountains, etc. Obviously Maryville City schools are great. Any input?
Where are you moving from

I thought Chattanooga was the only place that did that. Interesting.

Here, where someone asks where you went to school, they mean high school. Not college.
Yup, we were out at a Brewery. My wife started bumping into old family friends. They didnt even ask her name just 'didnt you go to MHS?' after a couple beers, and, being an introvert (meaning people exhaust me). I just started introducing myself as 'Science Hill'. Like answering a dumb question with a dunber question.

Maryville is great. But it is very small, and clickish. It is the ying to Asheville yang.

Also very conservative and for that reason, im out.

WV. Grew up an hour outside of Knoxville in the other direction, however, and lived most of my life in various parts of East TN.

WV is gorgeous. I love the area around Harper's Ferry. Just a beautiful state that has always gotten the short end of the stick. I still have friends there. I used to live in Fairfax, VA ( hate the place ) but a lot of my friends lived just over the border. We always spent time up in the hills and I still miss it.

Reactions: MEDVOL
Where do you go for burgers?
It’s hard to find a burger that’s better than one I can just make at home, but I really like the burger at Walnut Kitchen.
I’ll also get one from Aubrey’s, and the hickory burger at Calhoun’s is not bad.

I can report that Hot Rods is absolute garbage. I’ve tried it twice and even my kids agreed that it was awful. They’ll eat anything!!

I can report that it is not garbage. But you think aubreys has a better burger. Guess we have different taste buds. I will say that I’ve never eaten at TC Grill, but its owned by the same guy who used to own bel-air grill. They had really good burgers, so I assume they are the same burger

Reactions: VolInNorthCack

VN Store

Back