Opinions/Feelings about Jeremy Banks

Given the rumors around the South Carolina disaster, losing an opportunity to play in the playoffs, the Hooker injury, and Banks not playing in the bowl game and the defense actually showing up, what’s your opinion on Jeremy Banks’ role in the derailment of this year?

I’ll always feel we missed out on something very special that doesn’t come along every day. Missed opportunity.

(PS. I am thrilled and grateful and pleasantly surprised to have had the year we had.)
In all honesty… he wasn’t THAT good

That team was so loaded (except OLine, which was bone-headed). Hurd as a receiver and the tandem of Kamara and John Kelly in the backfield would have been epic.
Knowing what we know about Hurd and Butch as human beings, I believe Hurd. Everytime.
I am not thrilled about Hurd benching himself midgame, but he made up his mind he was leaving and wasn't going to give another drop of sweat to that man.
Butch was really stubborn, wasn't he?
His "System", his slim OLinemen philosophy, his laminated master plan for each game that told him to do whatever miscalculation in the game, his fake tempo.
Butch made some of the worst in-game decisions I've ever witnessed on a consistent basis. And I hated the passing game. Felt like we ran Stick 37 times a game.

Reactions: SpookyAction
You may be correct about Butch Jones on this point but, to be honest, we had an inferior offensive line at that time. There were a lot of great runs by Hurd, where he turned 2-yard losses into 2-yard gains, simply by personal effort after initial contact in the backfield. If Butch promised Jalen the featured spot at running back, well he essentially got that. If he had played behind the "TVA" offensive line, for example, he may well have been a 1,500-yard back.

For all of the criticism properly levied about inadequately using Kamara, one quality that he lacked, compared to Hurd, was the power and size to regularly transform those 2-yard losses into 2-yard gains. With that tandem, it might have been best to turn back the hands of time and frequently use 2-back sets, with Hurd often fulfilling the role of an old-school fullback.
I meant they frequently used Kamara between the tackles and ran almost exclusively outside zone with Hurd, when it should've been the other way around. And there should've been more 2 back sets which they didn't use until the A&M game with Kamara & Kelly. Then you could have had Hurd at RB and Kamara in the slot or Kamara in the backfield and Hurd at X or Z. Very predictable playcalling and just didn't put players in position to use their skillset.

Hurd was flat out lied to. Butch promised him (I don't recall what it was) a style of play best suited to the type of back JH was. Instead, he kept with his general ineffective version of the spread, or whatever he called it. The result was JH getting constantly beat up due to predictable play calls. He went to Oklahoma, got switch to a TE, I think. But the big thing was even during his sit out year, the coach and players praised his team work, willingness to even coach others, and when he played, how hard he played. We also now know that Butch intentionally sabotaged Pig Howard's NFL chances.
He wanted to run in a pro style offense or switch to WR. There was rumblings of Hurd wanting to transfer after his Sophomore year so I’m assuming the lie that pushed him over the edge was in that offseason to keep him. At Baylor, he was a pretty good WR too. What’s the story on Pig and Butch? I don’t remember hearing that

You know what, Lady_Vol, I think you're one of the few who recognize a basic fact. Whatever happened with JB, we fans have only rumors to go by. That said, my personal opinion is to accept what his coach said. And not engage in damning JB to Hades and beyond on a rumor. For those who can't do that, it says a lot about how eager they are to judge and condemn our players. You can see it often here on VN. Josh Heupel addresses Jeremy Banks absence from Tennessee loss to South Carolina

As for his missing bowl game, it's his personal decision to make, as it does have potential financial consequences for him. But as you likely know, we have fans who presume to be celestial beings legally consigned to condemn players if they sneeze instead of coughing.

Wait for it, it's coming.
The dash cam video I saw was no rumor. He’s been more trouble than he’s worth for years. His overall buddy of work is what I judge on. Not 1 incident. With that says he’s been continuous trouble. Glad he’s gone.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Already been beat to death in 10 threads. Banks is no longer there and it doesn’t matter now. Spilt milk. More interested in the young guys who showed out in the bowl game and in the new guys coming in. And also which DB’s are hitting the portal because they know they are fixing to get replaced.
Totally agree. Continued rants, speculations, etc. are pointless.

Attachments

• Beat the dead horse.png
    Beat the dead horse.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Given the rumors around the South Carolina disaster, losing an opportunity to play in the playoffs, the Hooker injury, and Banks not playing in the bowl game and the defense actually showing up, what’s your opinion on Jeremy Banks’ role in the derailment of this year?

I’ll always feel we missed out on something very special that doesn’t come along every day. Missed opportunity.

(PS. I am thrilled and grateful and pleasantly surprised to have had the year we had.)
I think he was a thug!

I thought if he was as important to the defense as it seems, it was good of him to step aside for the bowl game so someone else could step up for next year. Instead of working him up for one more game we get double the preseason practices with his successor.
Had to….but he made easy..went to USCe game …helluva player we missed, with a helluva an ego
See Ya. Went from a great comeback story to a go away story.

How did Butch sabo Pig?
BTW Hurd went to Baylor.

Pig - Google what Howard himself said about Butch interfering with his chances to try for the NFL. I've finally earned to not repeatedly look up stuff fans should already know.

Right, Baylor, my VERY, INEXCUSABLE bad.

The dash cam video I saw was no rumor. He’s been more trouble than he’s worth for years. His overall buddy of work is what I judge on. Not 1 incident. With that says he’s been continuous trouble. Glad he’s gone.

Good for you. Glad we're not neighbors, as I'm sure you'd Karen me. To my shame, as a child, I once pulled the antennae off a butterfly. Killed a cat. Climbed a tree and used a BB gun to sink my brother's wind up submarine. Nevermind that I'm now an animal lover (except for snake), contribute to toys for tots, keep my bird feeder stocked, feed squirrels. Being as unforgiving, perpetually hate infected as you are, you'd probably want to run me out of the state, and likely off the planet for my past sins. I'm just glad you aren't Jesus--whew, I really lucked out on that.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Heup absolutely loves Hendon. For whatever reason he has never liked Banks. There as a confrontation between them, and he only punished one. Hence the fact that the defense didn't show up against SC. They felt like Heup played favorites, and Heup also took away their leader.
Wow. I hadn't heard the "Heup-aspect" of it. Thanks for expanding.

Reactions: MT_Vol
If UT lost the USC game because he didn't play, then he was obviously valuable to the defense.

As far as the rumors, I just ignore that kind of stuff until it becomes verifiable fact.

I wish Banks luck in the future.

Go Vols!

In all honesty… he wasn’t THAT good

Bingo.

The guy got lost in coverage more than a few times and the reason it looked like he was hustling so much was from being out of position a lot.

Made some great plays and appreciate his time with the Vols but he isn't going down in Vol lore as an all time great.

And I think the SC game came down to Rattler being on fire and the secondary playing an all time lousy game. Throw in the offense sputtering in the 3rd and then Hooker going down and it was the recipe for a blow out.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong but I dont see much more than an NFL practice squad or special teams player in Banks future.

Wow. I hadn't heard the "Heup-aspect" of it. Thanks for expanding.

Of course, Heup is going to be closer to the QB room but none of us know what actually took place and it is not why we lost to SC jr. To think that the defense could coordinate such an effort this year is laughable… plus Heup wouldn’t stand for it. Peeps would be gone.

We didn’t lose because of Jeremy Banks. He wasn’t special. We lost because of injuries at db and because of their QB having his best game ever

Reactions: Vol4life2
Good for you. Glad we're not neighbors, as I'm sure you'd Karen me. To my shame, as a child, I once pulled the antennae off a butterfly. Killed a cat. Climbed a tree and used a BB gun to sink my brother's wind up submarine. Nevermind that I'm now an animal lover (except for snake), contribute to toys for tots, keep my bird feeder stocked, feed squirrels. Being as unforgiving, perpetually hate infected as you are, you'd probably want to run me out of the state, and likely off the planet for my past sins. I'm just glad you aren't Jesus--whew, I really lucked out on that.
Nice try. Good for you when you were that age you weren’t representing a university and reaping benefits from it. He clearly had more than one chance. Where do you draw the line? Right or wrong, and whether you like it or not, these young men have a shorter leash than the average 18-20 year old due to the path they have chosen. It’s hilarious the picture you 3-4 chancers try to paint like it’s no big deal. Caught on camera bragging about killing cops is different than an oops I got caught smoking weed. It’s disgusting and vile and lines up with a cultural issue within that specific culture. Then it was one thing after another. Here we are. I do applaud your attempt at making me look like an unforgivable mean Karen though.

Last edited:
I thank JB for his 6.5 years of contributions and wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors.

#VFL

VN Store

Back