"Open the T" !!!!

If you eliminate the traditions, you eliminate the long time fans. That's my opinion because they are now looking for the new shiny attraction.

Haha, "open the T." Almost as dumb as when Butch Jones wanted everyone "clap three times and shout Rocky Top" . . . almost.

This isn't about starting a tradition, it's about an annoying, contrived addition to one of the most well-known entrances in college football.

Despite the complete ineptness of the football program for 15 years, the entrance of the team is still one of the top 5 in all of college football. Leave it to UT administration to change that instead of the production in the W/L column.

Maybe you hear that on tv, but you don't hear it at the game. All you hear is screaming. The announcer is drowned out, if he's still talking.

Reactions: Wireless1
It’s being done sarcastically. Recommend by a call to FanRun radio. It’s meant to be funny. :)

I just want us to field a winning team. I love traditions, but traditions change over time. One day Penn St will actually use a third color on its uniform. When that happens all of the Penn St alumn's will piss and moan but ultimately nothing will be done. I personally have not heard Rocky Top played one time this season that I remember hearing on TV ( I have not been to a game personally, Yet). Should I be mad that some DJ is rocking out tunes I do not wish to hear instead of the band playing? I don't know. I just know I am getting older and grumpier each year and I want to see my team relevant again.
You haven’t heard Rocky Top played? What games did you watch? I’ve heard it in all three.

Reactions: VolNExile
Seems unnecessary but I’m not going to lose any sleep over it. The only acceptable announcement as the T opens would be THE Voice of the Vols John Ward announcing “Its football time in Tennessee “ but again the ritual /tradition already stands on its own without an explanation l

Here’s my stadium gripe—the ads on that ugly brown matting lining the brick borders of our end zones. It’s so ugly. Okay I’m done.
at least they're all in the same color and not overbearing

Has “Jump Around” always been played into 4th quarter? Isn’t that a Wisconsin thing?

seems like the new every 3/4 transition is the Chesney/Manning thing. jump around wasn't played the first 2 games at that point, from what i can remember

Much more irritating to me is the incessant playing of Rocky Top. It's played far too often and we're often referred to as "rocky top" which is sickening to me
You’ve made some pretty obnoxious posts in the PF, but you’re about to get an invitation to the Waffle House 😉
To Whoo or not to Whoo is the only question

I have not been over to Neyland recently, but heard discussion on a radio show that the PA guy is now screaming into the mic right before the team runs out of the tunnel for the band to "Open the T" !!!!

If true, I find this sickening. One of the magical things about our entrance is the fans standing and watching the band, waiting for them to start splitting apart, because we know the team is in the tunnel ready to run out on the field. The spontaneity of the moment is what makes it so special. So many things in modern sports have become contrived and forced. We don't need a legendary college football entrance to be ruined by an ear-cracking PA's booming voice. I already hate the loud 3d down announcement, as if Tennessee fans don't already know the down and distance of the game they are watching. And while we are on the subject, I despise the incessant loud DJ music blaring at every opportunity in football, basketball and baseball. Let the emotion and the fans' reactions run their natural course and put the band back in charge of the music on game day.
Look man…I don’t care about the details of the pomp and circus stands. I only want to see Henderson Hooker lead that team on the field whoop some @$$. I don’t care what else happens.

VN Store

Back