"Open the T" !!!!

vol_smoothie

I have not been over to Neyland recently, but heard discussion on a radio show that the PA guy is now screaming into the mic right before the team runs out of the tunnel for the band to "Open the T" !!!!

If true, I find this sickening. One of the magical things about our entrance is the fans standing and watching the band, waiting for them to start splitting apart, because we know the team is in the tunnel ready to run out on the field. The spontaneity of the moment is what makes it so special. So many things in modern sports have become contrived and forced. We don't need a legendary college football entrance to be ruined by an ear-cracking PA's booming voice. I already hate the loud 3d down announcement, as if Tennessee fans don't already know the down and distance of the game they are watching. And while we are on the subject, I despise the incessant loud DJ music blaring at every opportunity in football, basketball and baseball. Let the emotion and the fans' reactions run their natural course and put the band back in charge of the music on game day.

Geez, calm down! I’m not angry about anything-I just found your post funny… Seems like poor ‘ol UT can’t do much of anything without someone complaining. It’s just music and a PA guy talking/screaming. Try not to lose too much sleep over it. They’re likely catering to kids/college students with the music and such. Old traditions don’t matter as much to them,’and they’re the ones (mostly) buying the merch.
With that said, please continue on with the insults. Have a nice evening!

Reactions: rocytop2624
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms. vol_smoothie: Please do not be upset. I am not angry. I simply found your remarks humorous, but in a polite, healthy way. I simply feel that regardless of what the great University of Tennessee does, there will be a number of people who find their alterations- however minor- to be in bad taste, unlikeable, distasteful, or even offensive. It is my humble opinion that this is quite unfortunate, and that the University is only making an attempt to cater to their younger audience and current college students. However, vol_smoothie, do not get me wrong! I understand that there are college students who attend college that are not in the 18-22 age range, and I fully support and encourage their efforts! With that said sir/madam, I wish you a pleasant evening, and hope with the utmost of confidences that this interaction will not result in negativities.
Sincerely,
TennesseeHawkeye

Last edited:
I just want us to field a winning team. I love traditions, but traditions change over time. One day Penn St will actually use a third color on its uniform. When that happens all of the Penn St alumn's will piss and moan but ultimately nothing will be done. I personally have not heard Rocky Top played one time this season that I remember hearing on TV ( I have not been to a game personally, Yet). Should I be mad that some DJ is rocking out tunes I do not wish to hear instead of the band playing? I don't know. I just know I am getting older and grumpier each year and I want to see my team relevant again.

I have not been over to Neyland recently, but heard discussion on a radio show that the PA guy is now screaming into the mic right before the team runs out of the tunnel for the band to "Open the T" !!!!

If true, I find this sickening. One of the magical things about our entrance is the fans standing and watching the band, waiting for them to start splitting apart, because we know the team is in the tunnel ready to run out on the field. The spontaneity of the moment is what makes it so special. So many things in modern sports have become contrived and forced. We don't need a legendary college football entrance to be ruined by an ear-cracking PA's booming voice. I already hate the loud 3d down announcement, as if Tennessee fans don't already know the down and distance of the game they are watching. And while we are on the subject, I despise the incessant loud DJ music blaring at every opportunity in football, basketball and baseball. Let the emotion and the fans' reactions run their natural course and put the band back in charge of the music on game day.
I bet you were really something before electricity.

He says the same thing that's always been said.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Hawkeye - your comment is appreciated.

I do find it very annoying that someone who values tradition is automatically disparaged and depicted as a 60-year-old curmudgeon sitting on his porch with a shotgun.
I felt the same way in my 20's as I do now. I do not criticize UT for every little thing. It is not too much to expect sound decisions to be made by competent administrators.
Nor is it antiquated to desire their focus to be on maintaining the fundamentals of a quality athletic department and not on adding frivolous concoctions to promote an inferior program.

Hawkeye - your comment is appreciated.

I do find it very annoying that someone who values tradition is automatically disparaged and depicted as a 60-year-old curmudgeon sitting on his porch with a shotgun.
I felt the same way in my 20's as I do now. I do not criticize UT for every little thing. It is not too much to expect sound decisions to be made by competent administrators.
Nor is it antiquated to desire their focus to be on maintaining the fundamentals of a quality athletic department and not on adding frivolous concoctions to promote an inferior program.

That's all fine and dandy, but the real question, is 'do you yell at clouds?'

I agree. I’d be fine with no PA announcer unless the ghost of Bobby Denton shows up

And 50 years ago, somebody was complaining "we don't just run onto the field anymore the way General Neyland's teams did. We've got the godforsaken band out there putting on a show so we have to run through a letter like a bunch of little kids to excite the crowd. I hate these gimmicks!!"

This isn't about starting a tradition, it's about an annoying, contrived addition to one of the most well-known entrances in college football.
While I respectfully disagree here, I definitely see what you mean. It would be like the VT PA guy screaming, “It’s time for METALLICA!!!” before their entrance. Or maybe Clemson’s PA guy screaming, “And here comes Clemson- touching a rock and running down a hill!!!!”

I’m not a Boomer. I agree with the OP. Some things are better without narrating it.
I’m not a boomer either, but traditions are what separates college and NFL and each tradition at every school separates and makes them cool. Don’t forsake the past, but make sure the fan base stays engaged. It’s a delicate balance, but a voice shouting over the P.A to “open the T” takes the charge out of the actual action.

VN Store

Back