Only 8 FBS teams in the country...

Let's don't make more of Memphis than they are.

Yes, they know how to win games. Yes, they are currently on a hot streak.

But in context: here are their toughest games this season: Ole Miss...Navy...SMU...Cincinnati...Temple (they lost that one).

If the post-September Vols had played that slate, we'd easily have won all those games.

Memphis is not being challenged with games like Georgia, Florida and Alabama. They're not even being challenged with games like Mississippi State, Kentucky and Mizzou. As others have pointed out, they're playing mostly mid-majors and (mostly) beating them.

BTW, they aren't that consistent. Last year they lost to all these teams: Navy...Tulane...UCF...Mizzou...UCF (again)...and Wake Forest. The year before, they lost to UCF (twice) and Iowa State.

Memphis are a good team. They're not an SEC-caliber team. And lately, we've been beating several SEC-caliber teams, even if not the top end (yet).

We'd whup the Tigers. I'd love to see them as a bowl opponent, just to prove that.

Go Vols!

All good points.. but you can't just view the Vols as "post-September". The fact is that Memphis IS more consistent than the Vols have been this year. I will be the first one to say that I think it will change and change soon. But current facts don't lie. AND a few of those games you mentioned were bowl games and conference championship games.... games that the Vols haven't seen in recent years.

Last edited:
Please. We would have 11 wins a year against their creampuff schedule. They play no one. Their conference rivals are Tulane and Temple for Christs sake
Not sure how you can say that after the horrendous start we had this season. Lost to 2 tee teams that Memphis would likely have beaten handily. Little brother may be growing up. At least until Norvell leaves.

If the Offensive Coaches can figure out HOW to run block; this team could compete with ALMOST anyone. How many times have the RBS been tackled behind the LOS? Bunches.

The coaches don't block, don't run, don't tackle, they teach, now if the student can't learn, then who's fault is it? Answer: the coaches. Yes, because they recruited them. As far as knowing how these playing skills are done, these coaches know. Most have played the game pretty well. Getting a youngster to learn what you are teaching, well does that fall on the teacher or the student. From personal experience as a youngster, it is mostly the student!;)

But in context: here are their toughest games this season: Ole Miss...Navy...SMU...Cincinnati...Temple (they lost that one).

If the post-September Vols had played that slate, we'd easily have won all those games.

Memphis is not being challenged with games like Georgia, Florida and Alabama. They're not even being challenged with games like Mississippi State, Kentucky and Mizzou. As others have pointed out, they're playing mostly mid-majors and (mostly) beating them.

BTW, they aren't that consistent. Last year they lost to all these teams: Navy...Tulane...UCF...Mizzou...UCF (again)...and Wake Forest. The year before, they lost to UCF (twice) and Iowa State.

Memphis are a good team. They're not an SEC-caliber team. And lately, we've been beating several SEC-caliber teams, even if not the top end (yet).

We'd whup the Tigers. I'd love to see them as a bowl opponent, just to prove that.

Go Vols!
Memphis played bottom feeder Ole Miss and that high octane offense mustered 15 points.

You seem to have forgotten Navy, Cincinnati, and SMU. They have ALL been ranked in the Top 25 this year. Get your facts together before you reply next time.

Everyone has forgotten those teams......for good reason.

They don’t matter.

You seem to have forgotten Navy, Cincinnati, and SMU. They have ALL been ranked in the Top 25 this year. Get your facts together before you reply next time.
Wow. Navy and Cincinnati. How huge 🙄 midmajor trash and quit defending tigger high. We would smash them.

Imagine being a Memphis fan on a UT board 😂

For the record, I'm a Vol fan that went to Memphis State. It happens. Having said that, I'm not blind to facts and reality. Just because I'm a Vol fan doesn't mean I drink orange koolaid. You enjoy it.

Go Vols!
Yeah but navy, smu, and cincy were ranked in the top 25. Cincy had only lost to Ohio state this year and navy lost to ND. We lost to Ga st so we cant overlook anyone. This is the 3rd year in a row that they have made it to their conference title game. The last 2 yrs they lost in OT to UCF. Ask Auburn how good that conference is. They have put out some NFL talent the last few years. Their defense is avg at best but that offense can score with the best of them. In all honesty they probably would beat every team we beat this year plus ga st and byu which would have been 9 wins with our schedule.

Reactions: CB4VOLS
The point is that once they met even a low level SEc team they could t score two touchdowns. Someone said they’d beat UT by two or three touchdowns. They didn’t even score two touchdowns in the Ole Miss game.

OH WAIT. That was in September.. which doesn't seem to matter to people drinking the orange koolaid. Teams DO get better.. as we are all seeing now. They were beating Ole MIss and we were losing to GA State

OH WAIT. That was in September.. which doesn't seem to matter to people drinking the orange koolaid. Teams DO get better.. as we are all seeing now. They were beating Ole MIss and we were losing to GA State
There is nothing that says a team will get better as the year goes along. Look at UT last year.

If you’re trying to compare UTs improvement over the year to Memphis’, good luck.
Memphis didn’t even have to play the 2nd toughest game in their conference schedule. Your raw talent level has a ceiling. UT’s is significantly higher. Memphis would NOT beat UT by two or three touchdowns and I think UT would win.

VN Store

Back