One of the great Tennessee RB performances - Travis Stephens '01 Florida

I love the fact that he didn't make his first cut until after the LOS. Not every play is a TD, but minimizing negative plays is crucial.

What an amazing night that was . Probably my favorite single game performance by a Vol.

If you go back and watch the game in it’s entirety it feels like we probably forced about 5 turnovers that with today’s replay would have been upheld. Grossman took a beating that afternoon/ night.

Was this the game when there was a screen pass that clearly went backward by a couple yards and was picked up by UT but the refs ruled it incomplete pass instead of a lateral? I think there was also a clear fumble on a sack that was blown too.

For all of Spurrier's dominance of Fulmer/TN, I love the fact that Spurrier quit FLA after losing to TN in 2001 and quit coaching at SC losing to TN in 2015. And then, for his never losing against Peyton, Peyton is one of the GOATS in NFL and Spurrier sucked as coach in NFL.
Technically he left Florida after their bowl game that season, a blowout win over Maryland. But I do love it that his last game in The Swamp was a gut punch loss to us that kept him out of the SECCG and probably the national title game.

Doubt we ever do this again. They own us
They owned us overall during the era we pulled this victory off too. That's why it is so fondly remembered by us - it doesn't happen often.

Our only period of "consistent success" against them (and it's a huge stretch to call it that) since the mid 70s is from 2001-2004, and they had Ron Zook those years.

Technically he left Florida after their bowl game that season, a blowout win over Maryland. But I do love it that his last game in The Swamp was a gut punch loss to us that kept him out of the SECCG and probably the national title game.

It makes it even better that his daughter talks about how that was his toughest loss in the SECN Spurrier documentary.

Was this the game when there was a screen pass that clearly went backward by a couple yards and was picked up by UT but the refs ruled it incomplete pass instead of a lateral? I think there was also a clear fumble on a sack that was blown too.

That would be the one . It probably was only a play or two, but it felt like a lot more opportunities for turnovers that day.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Only Manning kept Clausen from being all time best QB at UT. He still doesn't get his due respect in my opinion. Being second to Manning does not mean he wasn't a great QB. Not sure what happened to him in the NFL. He looked like a NFL QB for sure.

Only Manning kept Clausen from being all time best QB at UT. He still doesn't get his due respect in my opinion. Being second to Manning does not mean he wasn't a great QB. Not sure what happened to him in the NFL. He looked like a NFL QB for sure.

He was a winner and a true warrior, but I don’t think he was an NFL QB. I think his arm strength would’ve been an issue .

Reactions: Jax_Vol

Yes! That was a night when 11 Vols beat 17-18 guys working against them....or, so it seemed.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Dang, I got nervous watching the replay. I had forgotten the Gators ever led in the game! Fantastic outing by Stephens, and hey, wouldn't you love to have another Ice Man at Tennessee?
Clausen- would sure like to see him roll in to Knoxville for the fans to pay their appreciation. He would have a good day.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
TN Athletics pisses me off with their 2nd place mentality. This was NOT an upset -- only in the minds of the announcers. Upsets were Casey Clausen's b*tch. When your team is national championship caliber, there are no upsets. Has it really been that long that we forgot how good we were back then?

My hometown Vol, Stephens went off on the Gators. Back in Montgomery County we knew what Travis was fixing to do to them gators! That game did Spurrier in at UF. GBO!!!!!

I think the magnitude of that game easily outweighs the other 9 on that list.

Probably in a 3-way tie for 2nd is Webb vs. Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, Lewis' performance against UGA his FR season, and Reggie Cobb's '89 Auburn game.
Webb was well over 100 yds, in that 89' Auburn game, as well.

Typically I don’t put down a W or L to one player in a football game but this game was different. If not for Stephens we would have gotten run out of the building. Clausen was terrible in that game.

Runs start up front no if...and ...butts. Clausen had two ints...other than that he played decent 67% on the day.
Run out of the building? I believe the defense would take exception to that remark. Ask Grossman that question since he stayed on his back most of the day.

VN Store

Back