One of the great Tennessee RB performances - Travis Stephens '01 Florida

I think the magnitude of that game easily outweighs the other 9 on that list.

Probably in a 3-way tie for 2nd is Webb vs. Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl, Lewis' performance against UGA his FR season, and Reggie Cobb's '89 Auburn game.

Went to this game with my dad and my 2 brothers. Seeing interviews with Spurrier after that game was just Beautiful!!
The four of us went in 2003 and won again! My father was sick for the 2005 game and by 2007 he was in the hospital
at Vanderbilt. He died in Feb of 2008 and I have thought about him every day since.
I won't be back to the swamp......

Last edited:
For all of Spurrier's dominance of Fulmer/TN, I love the fact that Spurrier quit FLA after losing to TN in 2001 and quit coaching at SC losing to TN in 2015. And then, for his never losing against Peyton, Peyton is one of the GOATS in NFL and Spurrier sucked as coach in NFL.

Then Spurrier quit USCe when he was afraid Butch Jones was going to make him his bi-ch...

My oldest son’s 1st birthday party preceded us all watching this game. Man....what a day!

Had Gator fans throw beer bottles at fiance (now wife) as we were in vehicle leaving (She may have been taunting them from the car window)

Much like the 2 point conversion at the end, their throws were off target....

For all of Spurrier's dominance of Fulmer/TN, I love the fact that Spurrier quit FLA after losing to TN in 2001 and quit coaching at SC losing to TN in 2015. And then, for his never losing against Peyton, Peyton is one of the GOATS in NFL and Spurrier sucked as coach in NFL.

And sucked as a player in the Pros too , BUT, Spurrier may be the best Game Day Coach we'll ever see.

Reactions: volfans1
My dad was fortunate as an official to get to see many great high school players who went on to play college football; some like Al Wilson and Ed "Too Tall" Jones achieving fame in the NFL. Right up until his death in 2011, he said the greatest performance he ever saw on a football field was Travis Stephens running for 359 yards against Henry County in 1995. We both were glad when he committed to Tennessee and took some special pride in that 2001 performance against the Swamp Donkeys.

Yeah that was favorite game as a young Vol fan!!! Still remember Travis Stephens running like a man possessed like it was yesterday. He’s probably my favorite to ever run the ball at Tennessee.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
What an amazing night that was . Probably my favorite single game performance by a Vol.

If you go back and watch the game in it’s entirety it feels like we probably forced about 5 turnovers that with today’s replay would have been upheld. Grossman took a beating that afternoon/ night.

Dang, I got nervous watching the replay. I had forgotten the Gators ever led in the game! Fantastic outing by Stephens, and hey, wouldn't you love to have another Ice Man at Tennessee?
The Ice man was a bad dude.The name is well earned.He won huge games on the road against some really great teams.

I was in school from fall of 87 to 92...props to Tony Thompson to having 2 top 10 games...5 of the top 10 were from 89 and 90 season. Do you know how freaking good our line was? Yes Cobb/Webb had 3 of those games in 89, but then the injuries happen and Tony Thompson had 2 games in 90. Johnny loved running the football and Phillip recruited/coaches some bad ass linemen!

VN Store

Back