ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD...TARANTINO

Paul Thomas is pretty consistent too though. Ashamed to say I havent seen Phantom Thread though as Inherent Vice was a misstep that kind of turned me off him.

I didn't think "Inherent Vice" was all that bad. A bit jumbled and lacking flow but it was still decent. And I've seen "Phantom Thread". Not bad at all. Quite beautiful if you pay attention. And Daniel Day Lewis is just ridiculous as always. That dude could play a rock and I'd still watch the movie. There's just not much else going on in that film, though.

Wes Anderson just uses color like no one else. It sets the tone for every scene. Not to mention it's downright gorgeous to look at. I think "Grand Budapest" is still his best work although I love "The Royal Tenenbaums". He's another director where you can pick and choose your favorite movie because they're all phenomenal.

I didn't think "Inherent Vice" was all that bad. A bit jumbled and lacking flow but it was still decent. And I've seen "Phantom Thread". Not bad at all. Quite beautiful if you pay attention. And Daniel Day Lewis is just ridiculous as always. That dude could play a rock and I'd still watch the movie. There's just not much else going on in that film, though.

Wes Anderson just uses color like no one else. It sets the tone for every scene. Not to mention it's downright gorgeous to look at. I think "Grand Budapest" is still his best work although I love "The Royal Tenenbaums". He's another director where you can pick and choose your favorite movie because they're all phenomenal.

Royal Tennenbaums is in my top 10 all time films. Maybe the best family saga ever put to celluloid and yes, I'm including The Godfather.

Reactions: Charlie Kelly
Royal Tennenbaums is in my top 10 all time films. Maybe the best family saga ever put to celluloid and yes, I'm including The Godfather.

I won't go that far but yes, "The Royal Tenenbaums" is definitely an exquisite film. Gwyneth Paltrow, Gene Hackman and Bill Murray made it for me. Luke Wilson, typecast as always, does a great job in his role too. I'd put it in my top 25 easily.

Reactions: bignewt
I was wondering..........what's ya'll's take on the movies "Desperado" & "From Dusk til Dawn"? I liked those a lot. Maybe 8/10 for each. My obsession with Selma Hayek after those two movies went on for a long long time.

I was wondering..........what's ya'll's take on the movies "Desperado" & "From Dusk til Dawn"? I liked those a lot. Maybe 8/10 for each. My obsession with Selma Hayek after those two movies went on for a long long time.

Ugh, hate Rodriguez. I think the dude is a hack. Sin City was by far his best stuff and that's because Frank Miller oversaw it. From Dusk Till Dawn only had a chance because Tarantino wrote the good half. Hayek is a good piece of business though.

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
I won't go that far but yes, "The Royal Tenenbaums" is definitely an exquisite film. Gwyneth Paltrow, Gene Hackman and Bill Murray made it for me. Luke Wilson, typecast as always, does a great job in his role too. I'd put it in my top 25 easily.

I love Owen Wilson in there too. Alec Baldwin's narration really shines too. The movie feels like a children's book for adults. Exquisite is the perfect descriptor.

Reactions: Charlie Kelly
I love Owen Wilson in there too. Alec Baldwin's narration really shines too. The movie feels like a children's book for adults. Exquisite is the perfect descriptor.

The narration is on point, I forgot about Alec Baldwin. Owen is just like his brother: typecast but solid in the role they're given. A children's book for adults is the most eloquent, yet accurate and simple, metaphor I've ever heard for that film.

Last edited:
Reactions: bignewt
I think they're just listing the ones he wrote and directed? But yea, True Romance was a great movie IMO.
Directed by the late great Tony Scott. His movies all had a different look. He incorporated Tarantino’s dialogue and style. Need to research if they had a falling out over the original ending.

Directed by the late great Tony Scott. His movies all had a different look. He incorporated Tarantino’s dialogue and style. Need to research if they had a falling out over the original ending.

I read somewhere that Tarantino was okay with the change. That same article said that Tarantino’s original was out of sequence, like Pulp Fiction, but he thought Scott’s version worked too. Would be interesting to see True Romance out of sequence.

Reactions: butchna
I read somewhere that Tarantino was okay with the change. That same article said that Tarantino’s original was out of sequence, like Pulp Fiction, but he thought Scott’s version worked too. Would be interesting to see True Romance out of sequence.
It worked with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Would have thrown fans of the Top Gun director for a loop. Chris Penn’s cop was shot in both cases, so Tarantino got what he wanted. Thought it was grittier with Alabama doing the honors.

This looks potentially really good. I was kinda let down by Hateful Eight, but that's probably more to do with the fact that I had absurdly high expectations after Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained. It wasn't a bad movie on its own, but I'm approaching this one with a bit more restraint.
I feel the exact same way

Reactions: orangepridenation
OK, spoilers!!!

IDK if this was the first time someone did this with historical fiction, but I love that QT tricked you into thinking it was following history and then completely changed the ending. The whole time we are watching 2 fictional characters in this known storyline and basically everything fit into the real account until the climax. It was genius. I was thinking that the dog would bark and scare the Manson family away and then they would go next door to Polanski's. I was not expecting that ending at all. So fkn great. I feared so much for the life of Cliff (Pitt's character), and was so relieved.

Also, the scene at Spahn's movie ranch was so unforgettably tense. The movie felt a tiny bit long, but I was shocked to find out it was nearly 3 hours.

I love everything about the Tennenbaums....

But Star Wars is the best family saga ever

🤪

Could this be Brad Pitt's Oscar (best supporting)? His character had depth, he probably had as much screen time as Leo, and he killed it.

VN Store

Back