Ole Miss Flop

getting up slow does not usually cause an injury time out! If you get up slow enough to cause the time out, then you are done for that possession, QB or not!

That might seem like a good rule, but wouldn't it make players decide to stay in the game when they ought to come out?

Their defensive personnel could stop the qb from scrambling all over the field. We continuously let them move chains on yardages we should easily contain.
And I don’t understand why unless our talent level is that much worse than auburns.

I can't lie. I like the advantage it gives UT, but I do think its sort of a gimmick. I would prefer the Vols line up and beat the other team without it. Just be better and you don't have to do it.
I don't mind up-tempo, but what we do is run up there and try and run a play as the defensive players are getting up off the ground. It's very gimmicky. It also wreaks of, "we're not good enough to line up with you and beat you". Plus our defense is on the field the whole damn game. Don't get me wrong, I like Heupel because players are motivated. I just don't care for his system

I will say this - I have never seen anyone turn as ashen as Kiffin when his qb went out. Without that one player - Ole Miss drops off the map and would lose virtually every game. He knows he is playing a shell game with smoke and mirrors - If his qb turns pro early - and he doesn't recruit someone equal - Kiffin's future goes South very, very fast.
Maurer is on his way.

Playing devil's advocate here: how sportsman like is running up to the line of scrimmage and rushing a play before the defense has time to set up? I'm not talking about up-tempo. Not huddling and calling plays at the line of scrimmage is up-tempo. What we and some other teams do at times by rushing up to the line to run a play is beyond up-tempo. Don't be surprised if the rule changes affect the offense ad well
One point that I haven't seen come up in this conversation is the fact that "rushing a play" is NOT without potential cost. Coach takes a very real risk that "rushing" the offense prevents careful set up and execution by each player. A better analogy is the forward pass. Woody Hayes famously observed: "Three things can happen on a pass and only one of them is good". Seems like good coaching and player development has resolved that issue, dontcha think...???
If you think games are long now....instituting a mandatory delay to allow for massive substitutions on EVERY PLAY will change college football forever, and NOT for the better.

Reactions: VolDave53
I don't mind up-tempo, but what we do is run up there and try and run a play as the defensive players are getting up off the ground. It's very gimmicky. It also wreaks of, "we're not good enough to line up with you and beat you". Plus our defense is on the field the whole damn game. Don't get me wrong, I like Heupel because players are motivated. I just don't care for his system
I guess he sees it as another way to get the advantage. I like that, but I would prefer the Vols just be capable of running people over.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Well if you have to stop the game for health and safety concerns......because "you never know", then the player can sit out that possession for those same reasons. That change would put a wrinkle in the game for sure.....especially if it involves a QB. Just so long as it's fair for everyone.
The rule should apply only to defensive players.

Reactions: nomads-11
I will say this - I have never seen anyone turn as ashen as Kiffin when his qb went out. Without that one player - Ole Miss drops off the map and would lose virtually every game. He knows he is playing a shell game with smoke and mirrors - If his qb turns pro early - and he doesn't recruit someone equal - Kiffin's future goes South very, very fast.
You actually see through him. I thought I was the only one. You get a like for your superb example of shell game with smoke and mirrors. I wish I could have articulated that as well as you just did. But the kicker was that you pointed out that he knows it. I wish the rest of our fab base knew it.

I know we discussed this before and I said they should have to sit 1 possession but then changed it to 2 possession

I can see some saying that the rule is setting players up to maybe hurt themselves further because they're going to try and limp off the field instead of going down or something along those lines

If a kid's hurt that badly he probably isn't going to be concerned with getting back in on the next possession.

It seems like the SECN has decided that Kiffin is good for ratings and is rehabilitating him. Finebaum just can't stop gushing about him, it's like he's saban junior or something. It's pretty sickening actually, considering how low-character Lane has always been, but I don't think they want to criticize Ole Miss or any other SEC team too much, or at any rate not the ones drawing in the viewers.
SECN doesn't have much incentive to say in public that the product isn't very good and the best team may not win because cheating is allowed. Hopefully they are saying it behind the scenes.

VN Store

Back