Oklahoma & Texas in 2023?

Ive heard that Big12 wants $70million from EACH of them. Texas has it, OU doesnt and one cant leave without the other so it appears they are stuck.

I cant blame Big12 for holding out for the ransom money. Its their future cause their TV contract will suck going forward.

Ive heard that Big12 wants $70million from EACH of them. Texas has it, OU doesnt and one cant leave without the other so it appears they are stuck.

I cant blame Big12 for holding out for the ransom money. Its their future cause their TV contract will suck going forward.
Yeah. They stuck.

If I were the Big 12, I wouldn't let them go. The Big 12 is probably going to pin them both in the same division when the new teams come into the league.

They arent going to give up any money or do those two any favors. Absolutely no incentive too.

If the B12 lets uTa and OK go early, then I suspect the SEC will have their back in staying a P5 league and may even lobby for them to get a better TV contract.

If they play hardball then we will have a P4 and Group of 6 (G6). And their TV contract will be about 80% less than SEC, 50% less than B1G.

If it’s allowed I wouldn’t be surprised to see OU and Texas in the SEC next season. Why not just ask OU what they can pay, Sankey can take care of the difference and then just take out what’s left from the TV revenue? I guarantee there is already a pod system schedule canned and ready to roll out if given the chance.

If it’s allowed I wouldn’t be surprised to see OU and Texas in the SEC next season. Why not just ask OU what they can pay, Sankey can take care of the difference and then just take out what’s left from the TV revenue? I guarantee there is already a pod system schedule canned and ready to roll out if given the chance.
No chance that happens. Adding those two teams all but guarantees we go to 9 conference games. Given everyone already has their schedules filled out, I can't imagine making every SEC team have to cancel one game each just to add Texas and OU. That's about a million per team, for what purpose exactly? I don't see a way either school is going to be willing to fork over tens of millions of dollars just to join the SEC a year or two early. Any gain they receive from our SEC TV deal is going to be lost in their buyout. Why wouldn't they just wait it out?

You’re telling me a program as storied as OU can’t pony up 70 mil and come to the sec knowing they will see a huge return on it?

Yeah. ADs are stretched for cash right now coming off HUGE operating losses in 2020. The bills still had to be paid. Practically every major school is deep into their rainy day fund.

Plus, OU knows they’re moving up big time (they’re more realistic than Tx) and they don’t want to spend all of their money “on the divorce and have little to spend on the new marriage.”

Last edited:
No chance that happens. Adding those two teams all but guarantees we go to 9 conference games. Given everyone already has their schedules filled out, I can't imagine making every SEC team have to cancel one game each just to add Texas and OU. That's about a million per team, for what purpose exactly? I don't see a way either school is going to be willing to fork over tens of millions of dollars just to join the SEC a year or two early. Any gain they receive from our SEC TV deal is going to be lost in their buyout. Why wouldn't they just wait it out?
I’d say you’re probably right, but a lot depends on the +/- of the TV deal. I think at this point the biggest deal breaker would be having to displace teams from the schedule. I honestly don’t see them waiting until July of 2025 to exit the Big 12 though.

You’re telling me a program as storied as OU can’t pony up 70 mil and come to the sec knowing they will see a huge return on it?

At this point, them giving up the $70 million would be silly.

If they were going to cough up that amount of cash, they would have done it a year ago and been done with the B12.

UTexas and OU will be held by the B12 for one season after UCF, etc join. Once the kinks are ironed out, the two schools will negotiate a reduced buyout ($10 million each or so) and join the SEC one year earlier in 2024.

If I were the Big 12, I wouldn't let them go. The Big 12 is probably going to pin them both in the same division when the new teams come into the league.
I think they used to be in the same division anyways before they were forced to go to a round robin regular season with the previous round of realignments.

What I like the most, irregardlessly, University of Texas had exactly 0 players drafted this year!
Wow, just wow!!!!!
That's happened to us multiple times in recent years but it's absolutely unbelievable that it happened to Texas considering they are the flagship school of the #1 recruit rich state.

VN Store

Back