Oklahoma Names Venables as New Head Coach

Opportunity to revamp. This will end up being a good think for Swinney.
😂 As far as DCs go, this guy is the gold standard. If Elliott leaves on the offensive side, Dabo has a history of doing pretty well there in replacement.

Man I hope this helps us on the recruiting trail this cycle to build the defense that can get our Offense on the field more! Give Hooker Tillman and our O 4-5 more series a game and we may break NCAA scoring records!!!

Reactions: clarencepeabody
😂 As far as DCs go, this guy is the gold standard. If Elliott leaves on the offensive side, Dabo has a history of doing pretty well there in replacement.
Venables, Aranda, Smart, Pruitt... there have been plenty of good DCs in recent years and there will be plenty more pop up in the future.

The scenario is absolutely there for Dabo to use this as an opportunity to revamp his program.......but I'm going to predict he will NOT. The reason? It is already being whispered that Dabo is going to promote from within to reward his guys. I think the Tigers are going to be in for a rude awakening. Brent Venables is indeed the gold standard and DS will not only struggle but likely be unable to effectively replace him. Losing Elliott isn't a bad thing in my view, but to risk promoting from within to remake that elite defense is a formula for disaster. But coaches have to go thru difficult times to learn hard lessons it seems. I predict for Clemson to be much more of a good not great program as they were in the old days. What is hard to understand for a coach is that the circumstances that add up to an elite status are rare and special. And they don't understand that those particular pieces of good fortune must be defended and fought for - not by hiring from within for guys to get OJT in your program. Time will tell

Lead a packed full of 5* NFL talent to a super defense, never been a HC, hottest up & comer name in college football, recruited super talent to a school that already gets 5*’s anyway, has a legendary former college football head coach around the program to fall back on????
View attachment 417769

That would be wonderful

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
I must admit, I had high hopes when Fulmer hired Pruitt. His career numbers as a DC was impressive and at the time, I thought Fulmer was serious about getting Tennessee back to relevance. In hindsight, the debacle that was the Pruitt tenure, seems to have been a backdoor attempt to reclaim the head coach position after Pruitt failed. He surely had to have known after speaking to him that he lacked the intelligence to be successful. JMO.

The only thing Fulmer was serious about was having control.' About the only thing he may have gotten right about football was fixing the weight room. I don't know about the backdoor attempt theory. But I knew damn well that would never fly.

As to what Fulmer had to have known? I never thought Fulmer had that much intelligence. And I don't want to debate that anymore. It is an exercise in futility. All I know is when Fulmer became AD, I had no high hopes. And I knew that sooner or later, things would crash somehow. Just turned out it happened a little faster than I imagined.

If it's Venables and he can get Jeff Lebby, that's a good hire.

Venables has always been a good DC. Kind of surprised that he waited this long to accept a HC position. Going to be interesting times in Norman to see what he can put together now. But yeah, if he can get Lebby? Sooners should be fun to watch.

Hope he does well as long as it’s not at our expense. I could go without the anxiety of another OU coaching search

His defense looked OK in the ACC...but good luck in the SEC. For someone who has turned down multiple opportunities to be a coach he has now set the expectations high. Not sure he can meet them. Good luck. Oklahoma fans will probabky wish they had focused more on Huepel in the next two years

The scenario is absolutely there for Dabo to use this as an opportunity to revamp his program.......but I'm going to predict he will NOT. The reason? It is already being whispered that Dabo is going to promote from within to reward his guys. I think the Tigers are going to be in for a rude awakening. Brent Venables is indeed the gold standard and DS will not only struggle but likely be unable to effectively replace him. Losing Elliott isn't a bad thing in my view, but to risk promoting from within to remake that elite defense is a formula for disaster. But coaches have to go thru difficult times to learn hard lessons it seems. I predict for Clemson to be much more of a good not great program as they were in the old days. What is hard to understand for a coach is that the circumstances that add up to an elite status are rare and special. And they don't understand that those particular pieces of good fortune must be defended and fought for - not by hiring from within for guys to get OJT in your program. Time will tell

Well stated. Even Bobby Bowden experienced much tougher sledding at Florida State when Mark Richt, his offensive coordinator, left for Georgia.

Has this even become official yet?

UPDATE: Nevermind. Google is my friend.

Venables has always been a good DC. Kind of surprised that he waited this long to accept a HC position. Going to be interesting times in Norman to see what he can put together now. But yeah, if he can get Lebby? Sooners should be fun to watch.

If he can get his feet underneath him as a HC they could be dangerous.

and thus begins the Clemson/Dabo death spiral. Heupel and crew need to take advantage of the Cackalacks back recruiting wise from Clemson.
Any solid yet on whether their AD is jumping to Miami? That’s a lot of turnover for a program in big time positions. Dabo has been great at replacing coordinators to this point though.

Brent Venables is the best hire in the coaching carousel this year. This guy is a class act and an absolute homerun I think. If he gets Lebby OU will be hard to deal with even for Alabama. I wonder if Venable's is taking his "get back" coach with him. Clemson is going to struggle. I'm very glad OU was unable to steal Coach Heupel. The media is hyping Lincoln Riley so much he will probably do ok at USC. I think he is overrated and rode Bob Stoops coat tail. I don't know how Brian Kelly recovers from the taking his "fame-u-lee" to Baton Rouge comment. That's a terrible start. He is a good coach but not a great coach. I think Coach O was better. I think Florida hired a good man but it remains to be seen what he can do there. I thought Dan Mullen was a good hire and I don't think he got enough time. I was really hoping to get Mark Stoops out of Kentucky so they could return to their proper place just above Vanderbilt in the SEC East.

VN Store

Back