Oklahoma Names Venables as New Head Coach

Nothing would compare to the level of ineptitude in Fulmer hiring Pruitt. There could not possibly have been one thing from an interview with cornbread that said "I'm head coach material". Aight?

Not good when you have to hire a "Google coach." Us Tennessee fans know that all too well.

Not difficult for your defense to look great with the athletes Georgia has. Huge risk as a HC hire.
Was thinking same thing...been there, done that. I think every now and then a young guy who hasn't been a HC steps in from coordinator to major program and has success. More than likely, the most successful ones are the one's who are already at the university for familiarity/lack of staff turnover. I just see the difference w/ JH having been a successful HC compared to Pruitt who just had no clue how to run a program...these schools don't have time for training wheels.

I must admit, I had high hopes when Fulmer hired Pruitt. His career numbers as a DC was impressive and at the time, I thought Fulmer was serious about getting Tennessee back to relevance. In hindsight, the debacle that was the Pruitt tenure, seems to have been a backdoor attempt to reclaim the head coach position after Pruitt failed. He surely had to have known after speaking to him that he lacked the intelligence to be successful. JMO.

Reactions: FlVols
Nothing would compare to the level of ineptitude in Fulmer hiring Pruitt. There could not possibly have been one thing from an interview with cornbread that said "I'm head coach material". Aight?
"Phil, you'd obviously be the surrogate head coach of UT."

I must admit, I had high hopes when Fulmer hired Pruitt. His career numbers as a DC was impressive and at the time, I thought Fulmer was serious about getting Tennessee back to relevance. In hindsight, the debacle that was the Pruitt tenure, seems to have been a backdoor attempt to reclaim the head coach position after Pruitt failed. He surely had to have known after speaking to him that he lacked the intelligence to be successful. JMO.
I'm not sure Fulmer holds a point of reference to accurately judge that.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
IF OK does get Venables, is it just that the time is finally right for him to move on or is this the level of job it was gonna take to move him, or both?

If Venables is smart enough to just hand the offense to Lebby and let him do his thing, that could be a really great pairing
Yea, but why would Lane Kiffin like that for? If I was Ole Miss, I think I would try to keep him with Kiffin. I don’t think he wants to release him?

Lebby in theory would have more control of offense, probably more money as well.
Would have more freedom, and more of a raise in money. I still can’t get it out of my mind though, that Ole Miss would want to get rid of him?

If it's Venables, then Clemson will fall back down to Earth for a while.

Perfect time to undo all the momentum they've stolen since poaching Tajh Boyd.
Was thinking the same thing. Clemson has some cracks forming in their foundation. USCjr is down a bit. We should really ramp up recruiting in that state. If we can fast track our NIL efforts, we might just make a serious move in recruiting THIS YEAR. Frankly, I'd given up on 22 thinking it was a throw away class. Now I'm seeing things differently with all these coaching moves. It creates some uncertainty. If we're opportunistic, we might have a chance to really speed up our trek back to challenging in the east. Just need one or two big recruits to jump on board to provide a spark.

As to the claim of Lanning to OU.
I think OU may look at his great success and see a guy who has more and better horses than most anyone else. Most any good (not necessarily great) coach could have looked like a great coach with this stable. I think Bama may have but a hex on his going to OU or any "big" program as the head man for the time being. Let's hope they do take him. I feel he will be done in a very few years: like maybe two. Would love to see OU have a few down years.

Coach O owns that title

Agreed - the guy can't even enunciate a coherent sentence - but lucked into the top quarterback in the country, stumbled onto a great OC while coaching LSU - made millions as a result, and somehow has a crazy hot girlfriend -

Life has been good to that guy.

Reactions: Zues1
Clemson losing Venables helps us more than Georgia losing Lanning.. Clemson is falling and their defense will tank along with their recruiting class. They're AD leaving to Miami also hurts because it will cause rifts in their athletic department. Georgia will still recruit because that's what flowbee is and that's not stopping anytime soon.

VN Store

Back