Oklahoma at Neyland

His name is Lyle and that's who UT makes their checks to.

Attachments

• Lyle Jones.jpg
    Lyle Jones.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: MaTaLa
I was on my bachelor party in a very nice Villa and broke a chair in half. That was a nice little damage bill.

Definitely not my finest moment

Reactions: Orangeburst
Yeah 2 games. Neal also had a good run agaisnt Auburn I remember. Poole...
I knew you would reply with the "2 games" comment. It was more than 2 games that was just 2 examples. He wasnt easy to tackle. Just due to our poor blocking scheme under Butch it seemed he got tackled at line of scrimmage or behind it. Hurd is a good athlete.

Dobbs...maybe the most underrated UT impact player in recent memory. Butch OWES that man.
And we still owe Butch unfortunately. If we use the transitive property we could just give that money on behalf of Mr. Jones to one Joshua Dobb's.

That game and the next one against UF was all the proof I needed to see that Beta Jones wasnt the man we needed. It took 2.5 seasons for everyone else to see but the way he coached like a p-ssy those games was all the proof I needed to see...

I assure you that you weren't the only one who saw through Jones. Anyone with any football IQ could tell you that Butch underperformed with the talent we had in Dobb's Jr and Especially his Sr year. He lost to a mediocre at best 6-7 S.Carol team that kept us from winning the East and playing in the SEC Championship game. Then all he had to do was to beat another mediocre at best Vandy team and we would have played in a New Years Six Bowl game..Yet again, he inexplicably lost to that very outmatched Vandy team. That was as clear of a sign if there ever was one. Even before then the 2015 season showed another eerie pattern. We not only blew a double digit lead against Oklahoma, where we were up 14 with 8 minutes left in the game and zero life by OU..We then blew another DD lead against Florida, where we lead by 13 with 4 minutes left. Then throw in losing to Arkansas, who we had a 14 pt lead against to start the game and blowing a late lead against Ala with less than 3 mins to go.

Those signs were shiny and in large print in yrs 3 and 4, then of course year 5 finished him off. Like I said, the majority of the people I knew and Vol fans with any Football IQ saw he was in way over his head and had no business coaching at a school like TN.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I've been to at least 150 games at Neyland, this was the loudest crowd I've ever witnessed.....
It was one of the loudest from kickoff till end for sure. The loudest moment I’ve ever heard in 300 plus UT games was the last second FG against Florida in 2004. I literally thought the upper deck was going to collapse

I have followed the Sooners all around the country and I can say unequivocally that Neyland that night was the most electric, loudest game I've ever attended and that includes numerous trips to Lincoln and Colleye Station.
That’s the only game in the past 15 years that has come close to the atmosphere of Neyland in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

I have followed the Sooners all around the country and I can say unequivocally that Neyland that night was the most electric, loudest game I've ever attended and that includes numerous trips to Lincoln and Colleye Station.
It was a fun experience as a Vols fan. Except for losing the actual game of course.

Reactions: strongj81
Jones took his foot off their throat too early.

Went ultra conservative on offense, caused our defense to stay on the field way too long and they got gassed, leading to a 4th qtr/OT collapse.

Typical Jones.

This! I could read how every game would end under him. I even remember getting up on certain tough teams by a touch down, only to look at my wife and say ok they need to score a touch down on UT. If jones got more than a touch down up on a team(10 or more points), the entire offense would go flat line. He would let the defense get hammered all game until they were tired and couldn’t hold off any longer. Then it was too late.
During Jones years I knew if it was a back and forth game we might get lucky. If we started dominant like we did against the sooners then the Sooners would ultimately win.

Jancek was calling a good game on defense. The best game of his tenure. Baker was being limited all game and Oklahoma’s offense was abysmal at best. But our stagnant offense in the 2nd half had our defense gassed and eventually the dam broke. Butch went conservative and tried sitting on a 17-0 lead.

It was one of the loudest from kickoff till end for sure. The loudest moment I’ve ever heard in 300 plus UT games was the last second FG against Florida in 2004. I literally thought the upper deck was going to collapse

Equally amazing was how deathly silent it was leaving the stadium.

VN Store

Back