Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

most athletic departments lose money.. I would have to research but feel confident Vanderbilt loses money every year. The non P5 conference schools mostly lose money. Revenue sharing happens at the conference level because conferences establish the TV contracts, not the NCAA.

Don't see Vanderbilt getting run out of SEC.

My thoughts years ago was 4 divisions with 5 schools each to make up 20 team conferences. My thoughts then were Big 10 (14 schools), ACC (14 schools), PAC 10 (12 schools) and SEC (14 schools) would be the 4 conferences.

When you look at the Big 12 (10 schools) and the AAC conference (10 schools) there are 20 that could be added to round out the big 4. You add schools like Boise St, BYU, Notre Dame, Fresno St, San Diego St.. etc.. you can get to 20...

But, you don't have to do 20. 16 could work at 4 divisions.

My thoughts have also been, you eliminate the OOC games. Playing an SEC schedule is all you want and would not want big time schools (Clemson, Ohio St, etc) on your schedule. With a 16 team playoff, you might go back to 10 conference games like the SEC did last year. Could still do 12 but might not.

If Texas and Oklahoma end up here in the next few weeks, then look for the Big 12 schools to quickly be grabbed by Pac 12 and Big 10. West Virginia might go ACC along with Notre Dame.

Just some rambling thoughts.
I think BYU, ND, Boise, etc. want to make the leap to the power group. I could see Memphis, UCF, Houston, etc. wanting in as well. My mind goes to without the NCAA, do the smaller schools stop playing ball? Say a Troy doesn't make the cut, do they eliminate football? Will the big money continue to support a UT Martin type school without profit sharing? If not, do they quit playing football? I had a conversation with my buddy at work the other day about this. I like the fact that the players get to profit off of their celebrity. Great move imo, but will it end up being a world where now thousands of kids no longer get a chance to play college football? That's what I'm curious about.

Reactions: onevol74
This has ESPN written all over it. They just got SEC GOTW starting in 2024 to go along with SECNW. Big 12 TV deal expires 2025. The Longhorn Network is losing money.

So what do you do? You shelter your biggest single team (Texas) in the conference that is making you money hand over fist. You snag Oklahoma, another great brand, to keep the from going to Big 10 or staying in Big 12 (ie Fox sports conferences), increase TV money for conference and teams involved.

Live sports, SEC football in particular, is the thing making ESPN money. This is about protecting their network.

Absolutely. And by dropping the Big XII, ESPN could offer each SEC more money per year and still make out better than having a deal with both conferences.

Reactions: UTwild82
most athletic departments lose money.. I would have to research but feel confident Vanderbilt loses money every year. The non P5 conference schools mostly lose money. Revenue sharing happens at the conference level because conferences establish the TV contracts, not the NCAA.

Don't see Vanderbilt getting run out of SEC.

Vanderbilt's athletic department runs comfortably in the black. Keep in mind, Vanderbilt makes more money of their media rights than Notre Dame.

A damned hard conference becomes impossible. Until U..T. gets tired of shooting itself in both feet, the only championships that will show up in Knoxville will be televised. (Excepting baseball).
There are about six or seven other sec football programs that would be in the same boat most every year. But they would have a lot of $$ to make up for it.

So this could be VERY early days in a massive realignment of Division I college football. Something almost unrecognizable from present day:
-- No bowl games
-- No inter-conference play
-- Four entirely independent mega-conferences, which come to be called Leagues, three of them Power 5 successors and one a Group of 5 survivor
-- Each league crowns its own champion each year, with (initially) little to no interest in deciding a champion among the conferences (over time, plus ca change, we'll get to a super-playoff to decide that...more on that in a minute)
-- The ACC ceases to exist; so does the Big 12
-- The Southern League (former SEC) expands to 36 programs (current 14 plus ten from the old ACC, plus four from the old B12, plus Nebraska from the B10, plus seven from the old G5 conferences)
-- The B10 League expands to 24 programs, finally changes its name to suit -- the "Big 24 League" finally brings Notre Dame into the fold, gets four teams from the ACC, one from the B12, both Army and Navy, and three teams from the old G5 conferences)
-- The PAL (former PAC) expands to 26 members, picking up two from the B12 and all the rest from G5 conferences)
-- The American League is the sole remaining G5 conference, grows to 32 members after losing some of its original programs to the SEC, PAC, or B10. It is almost entirely made up of former G5 programs, but does get former Power 5 members West Virginia, Kansas, and Kansas State.
-- The MAC tries to hang on in its original form, but eventually drops down to Division II as it becomes evident a 12-team league is untenable in the new college football world

The Southern League has the strongest claim to prominence and its league champ is broadly declared #1 in the nation each year. But after several years of this, the B24 (former B10) and PAL counter by establishing an annual "College Championship" match involving their league champs.

The nation lives with a "red state champ" and a "blue state champ" for a couple of decades. Eventually, the Super Bowl of College Football is brought into being, involving the B24/PAL champ and the Southern League champ. Division I is finally, once again, united with an undisputed national champ.

Until whatever happens next happens.

Heh.

Go Vols!

I don't want Oklahoma or Texas in the SEC. Makes the conference even tougher than it already is.

This has ESPN written all over it. They just got SEC GOTW starting in 2024 to go along with SECNW. Big 12 TV deal expires 2025. The Longhorn Network is losing money.

So what do you do? You shelter your biggest single team (Texas) in the conference that is making you money hand over fist. You snag Oklahoma, another great brand, to keep the from going to Big 10 or staying in Big 12 (ie Fox sports conferences), increase TV money for conference and teams involved.

Live sports, SEC football in particular, is the thing making ESPN money. This is about protecting their network.

Something of this magnitude would likely initiate a restructure or renegotiation of the TV deal. I would be shocked if a "change in composition of teams" was not something both wanted in the contract.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Oklahoma and West Virginia would be my choices if the SEC were to expand.

Texas A&M would certainly vote no on the possible addition of Texas to the SEC because of the big brother complex.

sadly our time in the SEC has passed

the ACC is our next move so the administrators get their wish of UTK becoming seen as more of an elitist, academic institution and

sports as just a side piece :p
LOL UTK elitist academic institution????? Seriously Clark?

Reactions: HalfullVol
I don't want Oklahoma or Texas in the SEC. Makes the conference even tougher than it already is.
It also makes it a TV conference like the Pac 12. I used to like going to away games, but that is impractical when Austin is three hours worth of flying and a connection somewhere. Hell it was bad enough driving from Knoxville to Baton Rouge.

VN Store

Back