Oklahoma and Texas have reached out to join the SEC (allegedly)

I’ve seen this posted, I don’t know if this is true, and if it is how binding it is. Certainly not legally, and if not where are the people who made this “pact”? Dead? Most important though the college landscape has drastically changed.
It’s made up message board garbage from 2011. The truth is there is no agreement and even if there was the schools would vote for Texas and Oklahoma bc the SEC isn’t expanding to 22 schools so they don’t have to worry anyway.

They will move Missou to west and Bama and auburn to east
Yes you are right. They would add two teams to west and I agree move Bama teams to East. Then move Missouri to West. That would be good for Tennessee because every East team would have to play Bama every year!

Last edited:
The SEC (and any conference) wants that viewership
Sure they do. But correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Big 12 TV contract with ESPN? So is the SEC. So, for ESPN, there are not new viewers. It's a push for advertisers, which is what fuels the money engine.

Why would they move Missou? They would add two teams to west and I agree move Bama teams to East. That would be good for Tennessee because every East team would have to play Bama every year!
Bc Mizzou fits geographically and bringing Bama and Auburn East keeps the two most important crossover rivalries intact. (Tenn-Bama and Auburn-UGA)

That would be two more SEC losses for us every season so hell no to this we have a tough enough time competing in this league as it is now.
We wouldn’t play them every year. Honestly it would be good because Alabama is the most eastern state, so the East would more than likely take both teams from that state. This would force the entire East to play Bama like we already do. Sure Auburn would be a rough take, but all the Eastern teams would have to play them too. I say do it. More money for Knoxville.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Tons of info sources verifying it now. They are informing Big XII as early as next week and petitioning SEC for membership later that day. No way this much info is leaked publically without the votes being there. Some suspect A&M leaked it to try to stop it but had backfired effect

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Texas adds a huge amount of eyeballs. A conference would be insane to not let them in if they wanted it. Especially now w revenue needed to pay players and an expanded playoff.
The SEC has done very well without Texas. Texas, not so much.

I doubt it...would kill the Big 12.
Also, doesn't Texas have the 'Longhorn Network' deal with ESPN/ABC - sure they would lose money if they walked out of that early.

But let's say for G&G this is true and it happens.
Do we realign the divisions?
If not, does Texas go to the West and OK go to the East?
Seems pretty far to travel for USCe to go to play OK every other year...
If so, do we keep the traditional E/W rivalries like TSIO?
Think Miz goes to W and Auburn/Bama come east. This would certainly destroy NCAA as we know it. I'd be ok w/ it...our rival (bama) plays our rivals, and you keep all the tradition. Think if this happens, it's less about here and now, and more about changing landscape for the future.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Tons of info sources verifying it now. They are informing Big XII as early as next week and petitioning SEC for membership later that day. No way this much info is leaked publically without the votes being there. Some suspect A&M leaked it to try to stop it but had backfired effect
Where are you reading this

Reactions: onevol74
Bc Mizzou fits geographically and bringing Bama and Auburn East keeps the two most important crossover rivalries intact. (Tenn-Bama and Auburn-UGA)
I think Missouri goes to the west. Those rivalries will still be what they are in the East and they will more than likely tack two very Western strong teams to the West. I think it will give LSU, A&M and Oklahoma good chances for winning the West while Florida, Georgia and Bama compete for the East. Bama probably loses more games because they have to play Florida and Georgia and Auburn… and Tennessee benefits because those teams all have to play Bama like we do every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyvol77
Would be interesting to see what the by-laws are and how many No votes it would take to stop the deal. A&M Surely would vote no.

Whom would blame them. Texas is all about self and ego. They have destroyed two conferences. Oklahoma would be a fine addition. Texas....no way.

Reactions: onevol74
Or Southern Super Conference… I think I like yours better
Big 10 turns into the Big North Conference and perhaps takes some ACC teams, Pac 12 becomes PAC West Conference by picking up some of the Big 12 And I think the ACC turns into the Eastern Atlantic Conference by picking up some of the Big East teams to supplement their losses.

If they were to keep two divisions consisting respectively of the eight teams furthest east and the eight furthest west, we'd get back something like the old SEC in the eastern division (minus LSU, State, and Ole Miss). We'd get the annual Auburn game back, the Alabama game would be preserved, and (as VOLINVONORE pointed out above) all our eastern division rivals would have to play Alabama every year. I could live with that.

Last edited:
Would probably get renamed is my guess eventually something like Super South Conference (SSC)
SEC is not changing its name.

Lemme repeat for those who missed it: SEC ain't changing its name.

SEC is the most "branded" conference in all of collegiate athletics. You don't go sacrificing decades of dominance-borne name recognition just because you added some more members.

We will become the Lower 48 Conference if this nonsense keeps up. Missouri does not belong in the SEC and no team from Texas does either...unless we are the Former SEC.

I don't necessarily disagree with you (to my mind, the real SEC will always be the teams whose mascots were in Smokey's food bowl in the old "Breakfast of Champions" cartoon back in '85). Still, much of Missouri and Oklahoma retain clear indications of their people's roots in the old South, and Texas, in particular, was settled to a significant extent from Tennessee. Culturally, these additions make much better sense than, say, an Ohio State or a Penn State would.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

VN Store

Back