'24 OH OL William Satterwhite (Tennessee)

Hate to be the guy to ask the question but any fear that he eventually gets an Ohio State offer since he’s top 250 and in state? Seems to be hard to get guys out of Ohio that the Buckeyes want. Maybe it won’t matter even if he does get OSU offer because we were there on the front end.

@InVOLuntary See what I mean?

Hate to be the guy to ask the question but any fear that he eventually gets an Ohio State offer since he’s top 250 and in state? Seems to be hard to get guys out of Ohio that the Buckeyes want. Maybe it won’t matter even if he does get OSU offer because we were there on the front end.

These guys are all close with each other, in this class.

Also, OSU is expected to overtake UGA, they may have bigger fish to fry.

giphy.gif
I love this GIF as much if not more than the one at the baseball game where he says another W.

It has happened several times where it’s been reported that Tennessee wanted a player….. only to have AP come back at a later date to say that Tennessee interest waned near the commitment date due to many different reasons.

Did not see a bunch of peer recruiting for him like some of the others. Did I just miss it?

Gonna ask this question generically, not about the recruiting of Satterwhite in particular:

What might go into a Tennessee's decision to offer a player so "late," after so many other big names have offered?

Kentucky made the first offer in May '22. Lots of big names offered in November. This month he got offered by Auburn, Wisconsin, Michigan, Bama, and more.
Question answered, I guess.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
You already know as the instate school, UGA is going to get their share of GA recruits, no matter how good they are. But they can’t get them all. Clemson, on the other hand, is the school we must defeat at all costs on the trail. I really don’t think both schools can be elite at the same time. Big pick up for the Vols! 🍊

Gonna ask this question generically, not about the recruiting of Satterwhite in particular:

What might go into a Tennessee's decision to offer a player so "late," after so many other big names have offered?

Kentucky made the first offer in May '22. Lots of big names offered in November. This month he got offered by Auburn, Wisconsin, Michigan, Bama, and more.
Question answered, I guess.
Well... actually, no.

The question I asked was, what goes into a staff's decision to offer (any player) late, after so many big names have offered? Is there a strategic advantage with some players? Are we offering late because we've realized we won't be able to land our first and second targets?

With Satterwhite, he mentioned the possibility at Tennessee to play soon. Maybe that was the difference.

But he talks more about donning the underdog identity, and pushing the team over the top. That's a personality thing, so I wonder if in the staff's research they identified that and realized it was an aspect that might set Tennessee apart from the big names who had already offered.

Ironically--or maybe mistakenly--the Beacon Journal story says "In the end, the school that received his last official visit and one of the first schools to reach out to him got the nod."

I don't know if the paper got that part wrong, or if it means we "reached out" to him early (i.e., to establish a relationship), but were later than the others to actually offer?

Maybe Yogi would have described recruiting as "50% research, 50% psychology, and 50% roll of the dice." And he'd be right.

Vols wanted Ronan too

Of course they did, but some posters always have to come up with some BS to make themselves feel better

1. He wasn't happy on his visit
2. Coaching staff lost interest.

It can absolutely never just be the kid wanted to go somewhere else

Reactions: knoxvol52
Of course they did, but some posters always have to come up with some BS to make themselves feel better

Sure it can. I agree it is likely that we wanted him and missed. I also know that there are some kids that we pass on because we want somebody else more. The chicken littles NEVER see that.

Sure it can. He did not have us at the top of his list for HIS reasons and it showed on his visit and both sides knew it was not a fit. Probably not a secret with the rest of our OL commits and targets as evidenced by lack of social media interaction the rest have PUBLICLY shared. Shake hands and move on. Thankfully we got this guy who is ranked 80 spots higher per 247. Could be a win/win. He needs to go where he has his heart in it.

VN Store

Back