Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

Seems likeable, articulate about the game, players themselves seem articulate about the game, and strikes me as personable toward her players

Listened to only half of that postgame presser, and I've heard enough.

A coach who prepares her players (mentally and physically) to play a style of game where they can win a championship when their shots aren't dropping?!

Did y'all hear that, Tennessee men's and women's basketball fans?

Kim Caldwell is going to be successful here. Fans are going to love the style of play they see on the court. I believe we're also going to see this edition of Lady Vols attract a new generation of girls to come watch, for several reasons, but especially because this style of play won't be dependent on DNA for wins. The only remaining question is, how quickly can she assemble the players she wants?

I'm going to enjoy this football off-season watching the moves that KC makes as she builds a new team.
Might just go fix some popcorn right now!

Why would any high assistant come here? You can’t throw money at them bc the head coach is only making $750,000. They wouldn’t be part of her system either. Parker and Catchings probably had never heard of her before day. It’s going to be her Marshall staff.
Well first of all, you don't know that. And I am not talking about Parker and/or Catching being a bench sitting assistant. I am talking about a retainer for them to be used only when an elite recruit needs a push. An alumni cannot contact a recruit if they are not an employee of the Athletic Department.

Am I the only one excited by this? All she does is win.

Caldwell is 217-31 in eight seasons as a head coach -- earning eight NCAA berths across two divisions and winning seven total conference championships. Marshall was picked to finish ninth in the preseason Sun Belt media poll, but under Caldwell, the Thundering Herd averaged 85.3 points per game (fourth nationally) and forced 24.2 turnovers per game (second nationally).
Right now, yes!
However, I’m not educated on Caldwell enough to say either way.
So no, I’m not excited but I’m also smart enough to reserve judgement on this hire, until we get a product on the court.

Reactions: Raebo and vols90
Not trying to argue with you, because most of y’all keep up with the team more than I do now, but I just don’t see any of the core players helping, other than experience, I just don’t think the roster is that talented. I’d keep 1-2 of the top upperclassmen, keep all the younger players, add a few top portal players and see what you got.
but with her inexperience in recruiting top players, do you think she’ll be able to that her first couple months on the job?

34 or 35.
Thanks I've looked everywhere with no luck. Figured a younger coach may relate to recruits and transfers a little more. I imagine it may help in some ways and hurt in others but overall not to big of a deal. Regardless she is now our coach for better or worse and has done nothing to not deserve to given everything she needs to get the best results possible.
I want the Lady Vols basketball team to succeed like everyone else but I'm certain at this moment she wants it more than anyone else. She's one of us now a VFL so let's treat her like one and welcome her.

Reactions: krichunaka
Thanks I've looked everywhere with no luck. Figured a younger coach may relate to recruits and transfers a little more. I imagine it may help in some ways and hurt in others but overall not to big of a deal. Regardless she is now our coach for better or worse and has done nothing to not deserve to given everything she needs to get the best results possible.
I want the Lady Vols basketball team to succeed like everyone else but I'm certain at this moment she wants it more than anyone else. She's one of us now a VFL so let's treat her like one and welcome her.
She graduated in 2011 from Glenville State. Depending on whether she took four or five that would make 22 or 23. Add 13 and you 34-35 with near certainty. Young but not crazy young.

Reactions: krichunaka
Here's what I find completely head-scratching about this hire. Despite the struggles of our WBB program over the last many years, we remain a very high profile program, in a big conference, with a big tradition. We SHOULD HAVE A TOP COACH. We screwed up the program by not having a top coach. We hired two coaches with PS ties who did not have a winning background at a major program, and they did not succeed. This was time, we all thought, that we HAD to get a proven winner //at the major level.// Go big, befitting our tradition and ambitions. Instead, White has done the opposite--gone small! Very small. One year of Div. 1 experience--and that at a mid-major, not a major. It does not reflect well on the program.

Also this: Over, say, the last 30 years, how many major-college (P5) football or basketball programs have hired a coach with 1 year of Div. 1 experience (mid-major)? I'm not sure it has EVER happened--and if it has, it's very rare. Would any major program on the men's side make a hire like this? Never! That is what makes it strange. If it works, White's a hero. If it doesn't, man, he should go back to UCF or Buffalo.

1. I think it was time for KJH to go. She was a mediocre coach at a program that ha higher expectations.
2. I think we need to have some patience with this hire. It does seem like she is behind on recruitment with little name recognition and likely no talent that will follow her to Knoxville to help next season.
3. I hope she surrounds herself with strong assistance that can help with recruitment. I think Danny White helps make this happen.
4.IMO no one knows how her record translates from small time to the SEC but she checks a lot of boxes I like as a coach.
Your number 1 and number 2 seem to contradict each other…

I think the jury is out as to if this was a base hit or a strike out. Only time will tell, but let’s at least give Kim a chance. Who knows it just might work out. She has a lot of work ahead of her.
Wow. 2 great choices u have there for your jury.

We weren’t going to hire Dawn Staley or Geno, so would hiring Jeff Walz really been that much better? I’ll take the younger coach with a high ceiling.

Reactions: papatomany
volfan-18,Then as she is coming here,why don't you go coach there in the sister of the blind conference and show us how ANYBODY can win there.If you were to stop putting comments here on Volnation,then,not everyone will be able to see how illeterate you are about everything.

Then I guess she'd better start working that portal, hard.
I remember how our roster didn't "fit" Bruce Pearls "controlled chaos" system either. What was it, 2nd year or 3rd, we were a 2 seed in the NCAAT! If she can coach, then she'll coach w what she has until she can upgrade the roster.

Here's what I find completely head-scratching about this hire. Despite the struggles of our WBB program over the last many years, we remain a very high profile program, in a big conference, with a big tradition. We SHOULD HAVE A TOP COACH. We screwed up the program by not having a top coach. We hired two coaches with PS ties who did not have a winning background at a major program, and they did not succeed. This was time, we all thought, that we HAD to get a proven winner //at the major level.// Go big, befitting our tradition and ambitions. Instead, White has done the opposite--gone small! Very small. One year of Div. 1 experience--and that at a mid-major, not a major. It does not reflect well on the program.

Also this: Over, say, the last 30 years, how many major-college (P5) football or basketball programs have hired a coach with 1 year of Div. 1 experience (mid-major)? I'm not sure it has EVER happened--and if it has, it's very rare. Would any major program on the men's side make a hire like this? Never! That is what makes it strange. If it works, White's a hero. If it doesn't, man, he should go back to UCF or Buffalo.

We are "high" profile but so are a lot of other schools. Right now, I am not sure our profile would be considered top 10. Even Kara's "handle hard better" vital video put the Duke program in the limelight in way not seen with the LVs. Poor Rickea got lost in the lack of limelight this season despite putting up all american stats.

Speaking as a Kellie supporter, there was a problem and it is not going to get solved until the LVs reach the FF again (and that will be a huger resurgence story) and/or recruit the next Candace.

There are now confirmed reports that White reached out to the Indiana coach, Teri Moren. She is right in the sweet spot and many might think that she would jump at the LVs. But U of Indiana has huge b-ball tradition. she has built a really strong program (winning the BIg 10 regular season title) has comittments to curent players and strong recruiting class, plus whatever personal ties she has to the area. Sometimes more $ (if that was indeed on the table) does not mean that much to someone is well paid and in a great position.

I argued in the days after kellie was hired, that it seemed like White might have miscalculated and was in a scramble mode to fill the job. I was told, "Nonsense, the almighty Danny White never, Becky Hammon, etc, is on the way).

It sure looks now like he was scrambling....

Report indicates IU’s Teri Moren turned down one of college basketball’s top jobs

VN Store

Back