Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

I used to work with the man who's sister was Pat Summit's predecessor. He said, that NOBODY knew who Pat Summit was when she was hired. We have no reason at this point to criticize the hire. We just have to let things play out. So far DW has given us no reason not to trust his judgement.

This is not the 1970's. No one cared about women's basketball back then. Pat had no pressure whatsoever and no timeline. KC does.

Reactions: vols90
The sad part for her is that she seems to be a good coach and a very good person. If she doesn't do good here, she will probably be back at a mid-major trying to prove herself again. Another year at Marshall, to prove she can (1) recruit and (2) win with those recruits and she would have been set up better for success.

when other teams fans are happy with your hire, it’s not really a good thing. they know, more than likely, that she’s no competition for the top spots in the SEC. hope coach KSC can prove me wrong
A lot of people were awfully happy we hired Heupel, til they got punched in the mouth about 25 times.

You're way off. Her total buyout was 2.2 million dollars. They aren't remotely paying her 1.1 million a year for the next 4 years.
550k yearly. Her total buyout was 2.2 mil. The next 4 years at 550k equals the 2.2 mil...

So what's new, Tennessee roster hasn't been good enough in 6 years.
To build a winning roster in a year, Kim will have to recruit the portal from day one. She will need to hit the ground running to recruit high school. This lady has had the winning touch on a lower level. We have to hope that winning touch transition to D1 power 4 basketball.

Are you expecting that year 1?
100%. if she’s an upgrade hire like everyone thinks, she should be able to atleast get to what kellie did, the sweet 16. if she retains all kellie’s players then really she should be able to. hopefully as an upgrade she can take us farther!! time will tell.

100%. if she’s an upgrade hire like everyone thinks, she should be able to atleast get to what kellie did, the sweet 16. if she retains all kellie’s players then really she should be able to. hopefully as an upgrade she can take us farther!! time will tell.

She won’t in year 1. She would have to pull 4-5 of the top portal players. Not a single returner for next years team is impressive.

She won’t in year 1. She would have to pull 4-5 of the top portal players. Not a single returner for next years team is impressive.
hey some think she’s a home run hire, home run hires do more with less. i think if she can retain the core of our group she will atleast make the tournament but beyond that i have no idea. idk anything about the new coach tbh. i just know she’s very inexperienced, which is scary. from what i’ve seen she’s a good x’s and o’s coach which is refreshing.

To build a winning roster in a year, Kim will have to recruit the portal from day one. She will need to hit the ground running to recruit high school. This lady has had the winning touch on a lower level. We have to hope that winning touch transition to D1 power 4 basketball.
Agree… & I’m willing to take that gamble (tho I’m just a fan &I have no skin in the game)! I have a lot of faith in DW’s ability to find pearls in the oysters, & frankly, I didn’t feel like many of the names being talked about were home runs anyways. To me there were only 2-3 sure things & neither were leaving their current situation. Looking forward to an exciting product!

hey some think she’s a home run hire, home run hires do more with less. i think if she can retain the core of our group she will atleast make the tournament but beyond that i have no idea. idk anything about the new coach tbh. i just know she’s very inexperienced, which is scary. from what i’ve seen she’s a good x’s and o’s coach which is refreshing.
Not trying to argue with you, because most of y’all keep up with the team more than I do now, but I just don’t see any of the core players helping, other than experience, I just don’t think the roster is that talented. I’d keep 1-2 of the top upperclassmen, keep all the younger players, add a few top portal players and see what you got.

Reactions: Raebo
Not trying to argue with you, because most of y’all keep up with the team more than I do now, but I just don’t see any of the core players helping, other than experience, I just don’t think the roster is that talented. I’d keep 1-2 of the top upperclassmen, keep all the younger players, add a few top portal players and see what you got.
Go all Deion and kick them all to the curb. That strategy worked out really well. :{

Reactions: jacvols
None of our current players really fit her system quite frankly besides maybe Jewel.

VN Store

Back