Official: UT hires Kim Caldwell as the new coach for Lady Vols basketball

He is an Assistant with the men's team there. I don't see him keeping that while she is in Tennessee. As far as coaching here guess we'll know soon. Not going to be on Rick's staff so it would have to be hers.
We will have to see what DW says about that,, after the Jon boy experience it will be a question mark to say the least.

I’m sorry but this just isn’t a good hire. I cannot wrap my head around firing kellie who has proven she can atleast win for this. It’s a slap in the face.
Kellie has proven she can win? What’s her record again against top competition? Kellie was proven, she was proven to be mediocre.

Caldwell isn’t proven at this level. I’m sure White thinks she will transition well as a coach and a recruiter though. Kellie though was never going to be elite.

Reactions: TJSVOLS and alexvol
I’m sorry but this just isn’t a good hire. I cannot wrap my head around firing kellie who has proven she can atleast win for this. It’s a slap in the face.
Then wrap your head with bandages ,go to bed ,get some rest then maybe your attitude will improve.

Reactions: LoudOrange
She has more experience than Tony had when Currie hired him , I’d say that’s turned out pretty good , maybe she can bring in Catchings or another former lady vol that’s not ready to be a head coach

Reactions: TJSVOLS
DW will either prove he has an eye for up and coming coaching talent and make him look like a genius or he just tanked our program. I will get behind this hire but it's gonna take a minute. I'm not surprised but very underwhelmed. She needs to be recruiting and hiring some good assistants. May want to keep Sam on board to help that along.

like most, her coaching isn’t what bothers me. i’m sure she’s a hell of a coach. she kinda has to be to do as much as she did in y1 at marshall, but her recruiting is a HUGE question mark. you can coach as good as you want, but if she can’t bring in top 10 classes every year, she wasn’t the right choice. that’s what we need if we want to be great again.

I think most would’ve preferred a more proven choice. Others would’ve been pissed regardless bc of Kellie being let go. Caldwell will have way better resources available to her here and will have more to sell than ever.

Reactions: Lucy
She did a great job as a Mid-major coach. She could never get the players or enough top players as a Power five coach. This is the only worry with this coach. She runs a great system both on offense and defense, but players make the coach we see that all the time. So she don't have enough here right now we'll see how it looks in three weeks.
Yep!

Wow…..why don’t we trust our AD, who is way better at this than any of us arm chair experts? I am all in to support our new coach and staff. Her record shows she and her staff are absolute winners!

Reactions: VolNExile
like most, her coaching isn’t what bothers me. i’m sure she’s a hell of a coach. she kinda has to be to do as much as she did in y1 at marshall, but her recruiting is a HUGE question mark. you can coach as good as you want, but if she can’t bring in top 10 classes every year, she wasn’t the right choice. that’s what we need if we want to be great again.
We can only hope with the right people behind
Her that recruiting will work itself out.

Reactions: volforlife10

VN Store

Back