Official Tennessee vs Gonzaga Game Thread

A win today would be great - it would certainly bode well for the rest of the season. I knew we'd have loads of talent and athleticism, but everything seems to be gelling more smoothly than I originally anticipated (I'm sure almost every Vols fan can say the same thing, however). Bruce has plenty of work to do yet, but winning the Old Spice will vault the team into the top ten and it'll give them worlds of confidence to build on.

Gonzaga is, to say the least, a worthy opponent. I'm expecting one of the best games of the young season.

The one thing im liking about this young team, is their way to bounce back and not hang their heads when other teams make runs. In the last game, the Hoyas had several big runs. And our team kept their cool and answered back. Same thing against Siena in the second half. It really shows how CBP can get his young players from getting too frustrated.

I hope they come out wanting to run up and down the court with us like GTown stated!!!

Once I heard on the radio GTwon was going to try to run with us, I knew we had the game.... (or at least had a better feeling about it)

GTown came out strong in the 1st half but was winded with 6 mins to go in the 1st, and it was the same for the last part of the 2nd half!

Just now making the transition to the round ball. Thought TN has looked good so far. Several people on the team have the ability to have a dynamic game, always a plus. Is Gonzaga expected to have a better season than GTown?

If Chism can stay out of foul trouble, then I think we win. Gonzaga looked slow to me against Maryland. Not good if they decide to run.

If Chism can stay out of foul trouble, then I think we win. Gonzaga looked slow to me against Maryland. Not good if they decide to run.

Their bigs will probably try taking it to Chism and Smith and probably Maze right off the bat. They would love for those guys to get 2 early fouls. At least we have Negedu and Williams, who aren't doing a bad job so far of filling in. I'm gonna be interested in watching Tabb get minutes at the point, as well.

Their bigs will probably try taking it to Chism and Smith and probably Maze right off the bat. They would love for those guys to get 2 early fouls. At least we have Negedu and Williams, who aren't doing a bad job so far of filling in. I'm gonna be interested in watching Tabb get minutes at the point, as well.

#1 game plan for the Zags will be to take it straight to Chism early. He's shown time and time again that he will pick up easy fouls. Hopefully, in the Championship game, the refs will let them play.

This game is one that will be looked at down the road. The way things are playing out right now, the SEC seems to be in shambles and we need to capitalize on the OOC games against highly ranked opponents. It will definitely help come selection time.

#1 game plan for the Zags will be to take it straight to Chism early. He's shown time and time again that he will pick up easy fouls. Hopefully, in the Championship game, the refs will let them play.

Yeah the officiating in the paint has been inconsistent the whole tournament. Let them play

This gonzaga team is top 20 in effective fg% on O and D, allows hardly any O rebounds, does not give up the ball at all, and doesn't allow a high % inside the paint.

The only thing they seem to do poorly is get to the line and shoot 3s, which means our best chance would be to somehow get out to a double-digit lead at some point. That seems unlikely.

It would be hard to feel too disappointed with a loss today vs what appears to be a legit top 5 team.

Hey there Vols fans. Just dropping by to chat about the gametoday. No clear favorite-Vegas can't decide either.

I was at the Seattle game last year and what I saw was a Zag team that was ambushed by a more physical Tennessee team, Jujuan Smith and Co. had their hands all over our guards with hand checks and slaps and they rattled Pargo. I couldn’t believe the refs were letting it go and it took awhile for us to adjust but by then the best we could do was make a run that got us to within 5 or so before a couple of dagger 3’s iced it.

Tennessee was very impressive that day and I don’t think it was a fluke but today will be different for the following reasons:

1.Only one Smith-UT lost Jujuan Smith an NBA guard who was a senior and knew Pargo’s game. Tyler is potential NBA and back but has to deal with our own NBA caliber forwards.

2. Josh is back-Heytvelt was nowhere near 100% last year-he is now. More mature, stronger and healthy. I don’t see an answer on UT if he plays like he did vs. MD

3. Taller GU frontcourt-UT’s Smith ,Tatum and Chism are 6’9”, 6’6” and 6”7” respectively vs. Heytvelt, Sacre and Daye who are all 6”10-7’0”.

4. Daye is a year older-Austin is greatly improved. Last year’s game vs. UT was just the 5th in his career as a true freshman.

5. GU defense is much better-Pargo & Goodson better on the perimeter and we are blocking a lot of shots with JH and Daye. Opp FG%is under 40% so far

6. Vols ball pressure won’t be a surprise this time. We know what’s coming and will deal with it. Pressure will probably be less than last year with J Smith gone

7. Scrappier attitude-versus the Terps we faced pressure and traps and dealt with it while turning them over with our own pressure and intimidating them inside. We didn’t have that last year.

8. Pargo vs. Maze-is a mismatch in our favor this time. Pargo is a senior future NBA PG and Maze is a promising but streaky junior. Mirror image of last year. At 240lbs vs 185 lbs, JP is also more physical.

9. GU offensive versatility-we have 7 guys who can score 20+. Somebody is always going to be open. Pargo needs to run the offense and find him.

What am I worried about? Bouldin scares me, our FT % is going to bite us eventually and Gray is 3-18 in 3pt FG’s. Pearl is a great coach and will have a gameplan which Few will have to counter with moves of his own in the second half.

We will see a great game today-a potential sweet 16/Elite 8 type matchup that wll be a great barometer of where we are at and what we will need to work on.

Go Zags!!!

Not really worried. This is a game we should win. If we can slow down Heytvelt, the rest will be gravy.

Hey there Vols fans. Just dropping by to chat about the gametoday. No clear favorite-Vegas can't decide either.

I was at the Seattle game last year and what I saw was a Zag team that was ambushed by a more physical Tennessee team, Jujuan Smith and Co. had their hands all over our guards with hand checks and slaps and they rattled Pargo. I couldn’t believe the refs were letting it go and it took awhile for us to adjust but by then the best we could do was make a run that got us to within 5 or so before a couple of dagger 3’s iced it.

Tennessee was very impressive that day and I don’t think it was a fluke but today will be different for the following reasons:

1.Only one Smith-UT lost Jujuan Smith an NBA guard who was a senior and knew Pargo’s game. Tyler is potential NBA and back but has to deal with our own NBA caliber forwards.

2. Josh is back-Heytvelt was nowhere near 100% last year-he is now. More mature, stronger and healthy. I don’t see an answer on UT if he plays like he did vs. MD

3. Taller GU frontcourt-UT’s Smith ,Tatum and Chism are 6’9”, 6’6” and 6”7” respectively vs. Heytvelt, Sacre and Daye who are all 6”10-7’0”.

4. Daye is a year older-Austin is greatly improved. Last year’s game vs. UT was just the 5th in his career as a true freshman.

5. GU defense is much better-Pargo & Goodson better on the perimeter and we are blocking a lot of shots with JH and Daye. Opp FG%is under 40% so far

6. Vols ball pressure won’t be a surprise this time. We know what’s coming and will deal with it. Pressure will probably be less than last year with J Smith gone

7. Scrappier attitude-versus the Terps we faced pressure and traps and dealt with it while turning them over with our own pressure and intimidating them inside. We didn’t have that last year.

8. Pargo vs. Maze-is a mismatch in our favor this time. Pargo is a senior future NBA PG and Maze is a promising but streaky junior. Mirror image of last year. At 240lbs vs 185 lbs, JP is also more physical.

9. GU offensive versatility-we have 7 guys who can score 20+. Somebody is always going to be open. Pargo needs to run the offense and find him.

What am I worried about? Bouldin scares me, our FT % is going to bite us eventually and Gray is 3-18 in 3pt FG’s. Pearl is a great coach and will have a gameplan which Few will have to counter with moves of his own in the second half.

We will see a great game today-a potential sweet 16/Elite 8 type matchup that wll be a great barometer of where we are at and what we will need to work on.

Go Zags!!!

None of those reasons indicate why we wont beat you by double digits again

Go Zags!!!

1.Only one Smith back is actually a good thing.. were replacing them with 6'7 Mcdonalds All-American Scotty Hopson, 6'6 Cameron Tatum, 6'8 Renaldo Woolridge and Bobby Maze

2. Brian Williams and Wayne Chism are stronger with the addition of Negedu

3. but we will have a lineup in there ranging from a 6'7 point guard to a 6'10 center.. ask Georgetown how their hieght affected us..

4. Tyler Smith is a year older-Brian Williams is greatly improved. Last year’s game we went to your home court and beat you by double digits

5. GU defense is much better but still cant account for our offensive attacks

6. Vols ball pressure will be longer and more athletic and will result in many points when Pargo isnt in the game

7. We're scrappier than you and Maryland

8. Pargo vs. Maze- Maze will get in his head

9. Prove it...

I think I just offered 9 reasons why this year is different and how it will impact the game.

Last year was not at the Zags home court. It was 300 miles away in Seattle. Tennessee refused to travel to the Kennel and play us where we are 54-2 since it opened.

Go ahead and just keep saying you win by double digits. Won't make it so.

You guys are a lot like we were last year talented but young. This year we are deeper and more seasoned.

Like I said great game. Pearl will have them ready

BTW-they have a leaky roof at the arena so the first game has been delayed. Hope it doesn't afftect tip off or ESPN2 broadcast

VN Store

Back