Official Tennesee at Kentucky Game 3 Thread - 12 PM - SECN/ESPN3

Two days in a row our bats are silent all day and we score just enough in the 9th to make it respectable without actually threatening to tie it up or win.

Ranking of recruiting classes can be misleading because the way PG ranks classes, you get points for each player based on his ranking. A team with no top 100 players can make it up on quantity and have a higher ranking class with a dozen and a half top thousand players than a team that has three or four studs who will actually make an impact as freshmen.

I delayed posting until I had a chance to cool off a bit. Right now there's nothing contructive to post or say so I'll just say Go Vols. Win or lose I'll support this team. Hope the support is recognized by recruits and CDS can turn this roster into a contender.

Reactions: 1 person
I delayed posting until I had a chance to cool off a bit. Right now there's nothing contructive to post or say so I'll just say Go Vols. Win or lose I'll support this team. Hope the support is recognized by recruits and CDS can turn this roster into a contender.

Wow, a reasonable person on a message board..... thank you! and GO VOLS!

Wow, a reasonable person on a message board..... thank you! and GO VOLS!

Just wondering, who is being unreasonable? I get the drive-bys who just post that we suck and "fahr Serrano", but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to question the job Serrano is doing.

He'll get his 5 years no question but we are the worst team in the SEC right now.

Just wondering, who is being unreasonable? I get the drive-bys who just post that we suck and "fahr Serrano", but I don't think it's unreasonable at all to question the job Serrano is doing.

He'll get his 5 years no question but we are the worst team in the SEC right now.

...the drive-bys who just post that we suck and "fahr Serrano"... these guys.

I have no issue with someone who offers their opinion, positive or negative, with me or against me, as long as they explain themselves a little. Hell, thats what makes a forum interesting. The purpose of a message board or forum is to have online conversation via posted messages and not just come in and start bashing anonymously when they probably never watched the game to start with.

Heck, I'm a CDS fan and I'm not sure if he'll survive this year......

...the drive-bys who just post that we suck and "fahr Serrano"... these guys.

I have no issue with someone who offers their opinion, positive or negative, with me or against me, as long as they explain themselves a little. Hell, thats what makes a forum interesting. The purpose of a message board or forum is to have online conversation via posted messages and not just come in and start bashing anonymously when they probably never watched the game to start with.

Heck, I'm a CDS fan and I'm not sure if he'll survive this year......

I think he deserves a 5th year to let his first full class get through. If we miss Hoover next year I don't think there's a compelling case that could be made for keeping him. 1 in 5 chances doesn't cut it.

I had 2 names in '08; John Pawlowski at CofC and O'Sullivan when he was at Clemson. One turned out to be a HR the other was "meh" and wound up fired. Both would've been upgrade from what we ended up with at the time. I'm still amazed at the resumes out there in 2008 and we wound up with Raleigh.

I think he deserves a 5th year to let his first full class get through. If we miss Hoover next year I don't think there's a compelling case that could be made for keeping him. 1 in 5 chances doesn't cut it.

I had 2 names in '08; John Pawlowski at CofC and O'Sullivan when he was at Clemson. One turned out to be a HR the other was "meh" and wound up fired. Both would've been upgrade from what we ended up with at the time. I'm still amazed at the resumes out there in 2008 and we wound up with Raleigh.

Raleigh was Hamiltons buddy from back in the day. The job was all but promised to him when hamilton took over as AD.

Raleigh was Hamiltons buddy from back in the day. The job was all but promised to him when hamilton took over as AD.

Raleigh was hired based on a recommendation from Clemson HC Jack Leggett. Hamilton had no prior relationship with Raleigh. Raleigh played for Leggett at Western Carolina. As someone who was heavily involved in college baseball coaching circles at that time, I can verify that his hiring was viewed as completely baffling around the industry. The only hiring in SEC baseball over the past 25 years that was worse was when Georgia hired Robert Sapp from Middle Georgia JC to replace Steve Webber in the late 90's.

Reactions: 2 people

At this point, the "fahr Serrano" crowd's argument is self explanatory.

I think the burden would be more on the "keep Serrano" crowd to explain why.

I have yet to see a good reason.

All I have seen is winning at baseball in the SEC is really, really hard.

I can't speak for others but that argument doesn't really move me. Especially, since we are talking about just getting out of the basement

At this point, the "fahr Serrano" crowd's argument is self explanatory.

All I have seen is winning at baseball in the SEC is really, really hard.

I can't speak for others but that argument doesn't really move me. Especially, since we are talking about just getting out of the basement

How about one more year on his contract...let him, at least, play that out., and see what happens. :popcorn:

GO BIG ORANGE!

He asked me a question so I answered. That's the way it normally works.

I don't understand why you had to drive it in the ground.
I get it why there will be people to argue that DS should go. Yeah, there are stats that say he should go. I say that because it was clear to me what your point actually was. I say let DS's contract play out and see what happens. He deserves that much...to me.

GO BIG ORANGE!

First, I haven't made my mind up, one way or the other.

Second, for me I do take into consideration that in CDS' first two seasons they really "missed" on some guys. Of the 8 guys brought into pitch in the 2012 class, not one of them is still with the program, combine that with the 2013 class, 14 "misses".

So for me, it's a matter of saying has that been corrected? Does he acknowledge that won't work?

OR... saying he's the pitching guy he should have known and he should be out.

I have said that I believe he underestimated the job, the league...the question is does he get it now? I think the answer is yes. Can he fix it? I don't know. In effect, give him a mulligan for the first two years. I realize that's a non starter for some.

Third, then who? And how comfortable am I with Hart making a better hire...I'll leave that open ended...:)

First, I haven't made my mind up, one way or the other.

Second, for me I do take into consideration that in CDS' first two seasons they really "missed" on some guys. Of the 8 guys brought into pitch in the 2012 class, not one of them is still with the program, combine that with the 2013 class, 14 "misses".

So for me, it's a matter of saying has that been corrected? Does he acknowledge that won't work?

OR... saying he's the pitching guy he should have known and he should be out.

I have said that I believe he underestimated the job, the league...the question is does he get it now? I think the answer is yes. Can he fix it? I don't know. In effect, give him a mulligan for the first two years. I realize that's a non starter for some.

Third, then who? And how comfortable am I with Hart making a better hire...I'll leave that open ended...:)

They are good questions.

The reason I have been harsh is it relates too closely to what I just witnessed with Florida football.

It's not the win-loss record in and of itself. It's that they are not playing the game properly at all.

We've all seen rebuilds. We've seen teams that just don't have it in the talent department, but fight, scratch and claw. They are a pain to play. They lose because they just can't overcome the talent gap that is present.

Then, there are other situations where....regardless of the talent....the team doesn't know which end is up. That's the case with this squad. The talent gap may be there, but there is so much self inflicted. The fielding and base running are cringe worthy. And I don't see anything getting better as the season moves along. They are not learning from their mistakes.

That's my issue. Now, finding a replacement is never easy and I don't have an answer. But, as a fan, you just lose me when a team goes out there and looks clueless, particularly to a degree that is rare for any club, anywhere. An outfielder with a .940 fielding percentage is unspeakable.

So, maybe getting rid of Serrano is a rash decision. But, you've got to give me something that doesnt resemble the bad news bears.

They are good questions.

The reason I have been harsh is it relates too closely to what I just witnessed with Florida football.

It's not the win-loss record in and of itself. It's that they are not playing the game properly at all.

We've all seen rebuilds. We've seen teams that just don't have it in the talent department, but fight, scratch and claw. They are a pain to play. They lose because they just can't overcome the talent gap that is present.

Then, there are other situations where....regardless of the talent....the team doesn't know which end is up. That's the case with this squad. The talent gap may be there, but there is so much self inflicted. The fielding and base running are cringe worthy. And I don't see anything getting better as the season moves along. They are not learning from their mistakes.

That's my issue. Now, finding a replacement is never easy and I don't have an answer. But, as a fan, you just lose me when a team goes out there and looks clueless, particularly to a degree that is rare for any club, anywhere. An outfielder with a .940 fielding percentage is unspeakable.

So, maybe getting rid of Serrano is a rash decision. But, you've got to give me something that doesnt resemble the bad news bears.

I think the difference between UT Baseball and UF football is a track record. Serrano has one and Muschamp did not. This is easily the worst fielding team Serrano has ever had, how do I explain that? I can't. Without actually doing the math the fielding percentage of his teams is around .972...he had a team at UCI that went .966 one season and one at CSF that went.976, but if you averaged it out it would be around .972 which is around average in the SEC usually. His Tennessee teams have been about .970 or so...until now.

In a lot of ways this season seems very uncharacteristic of the past couple of years and his resume as a whole.

If there is something going on behind the scenes that's negative with regards to the program I would certainly take it into consideration. I understand what you mean about Muschamp because we had Dooley and I was off that train as soon as the Baggett/Rodgers incident happened. You don't let the players run the program. If there's something like that going on, yeah I'd probably feel differently.

I don't understand why you had to drive it in the ground.
I get it why there will be people to argue that DS should go. Yeah, there are stats that say he should go. I say that because it was clear to me what your point actually was. I say let DS's contract play out and see what happens. He deserves that much...to me.

GO BIG ORANGE!

I'm not saying fire him and haven't once said that. And I didn't hammer it in the ground, Vol66 asked me if I thought this Jr class has lived up to its top 20 ranking, so I gave my answer.

I suspect after the season is over, there's going to quite a few "transfers" out of the program as they will see the writing on the wall that they are getting recruited over.

I don't think it's widespread, but I see4 a handful of guys that aren't coachable. Some freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

I still hold out hope for 2016. This season has caught me completely flat footed and has almost broke my spirit. The offense is as bad as I've ever seen it. No question the defense is the worst. I like our starting pitching.

There's a lot of guys that need to view the rest of the season as a tryout for 2016.

I suspect after the season is over, there's going to quite a few "transfers" out of the program as they will see the writing on the wall that they are getting recruited over.

I don't think it's widespread, but I see4 a handful of guys that aren't coachable. Some freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

I still hold out hope for 2016. This season has caught me completely flat footed and has almost broke my spirit. The offense is as bad as I've ever seen it. No question the defense is the worst. I like our starting pitching.

There's a lot of guys that need to view the rest of the season as a tryout for 2016.
Let me ask this, CDS will be in the final year of his contract next year and should not receive an extension. So the the question is how can he recruit anyone to come play at UT? So by not firing him after this season we are really setting the program back by delaying what's to come in 2016. I see this situation and it is so similar to the Counzo Martin situation just without any Ncaa births.

VN Store

Back