Official season prediction thread

How many regular season wins will the 2019-2020 Vols have?

• 25 or more

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 24-7

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • 23-8

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • 22-9

Votes: 40 18.8%
  • 21-10

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • 20-11

Votes: 47 22.1%
  • 19-12

Votes: 37 17.4%
  • 18-13

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 17-14

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 16 or less

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters
Genuinely shocked at LSU below Auburn and Tennessee.
Probably, because at any moment during the season their coach could be suspended, arrested and/or fired. Throw those possibilities in with half the team having a chance to be declared ineligible and I get it. There's a reason every bookie I know drives a Cadillac (yeah, I'm old and they are older)

Looking at the team Plavsic for Alexander looks like at least even or a positive. Hopefully we get an even deal with James for Bone. Turner and Bowden hopefully play well enough to take up most of the Admiral three point shooting and scoring. Then comes the big problem no Grant Williams. Staff tried hard to get a guy that would take up most of that slack didn't succeed. Now all hops are pinned on a freshman, a frenchman, and a guy that has been here seems like forever and played about 10 minutes in Kent. I guess Fulkerson could be vastly improved as well and give us some bigtime play in Grant's position. That is the one position that is a huge concern and if we can get close to the production at that position he gave us we want fall to much. I am going 21 and 10 mainly because of the unknown at the four and also somewhat at the point. If Plavsic has to sit make that 16 and 15.
We don’t have the 2 time SEC POY stepping in at the 4. Grant’s offensive production will have to be absorbed by our perimeter players IMHO

It seems to clearly be UK and Florida as 1 & 1a, then everyone else. I guess you could argue that LSU perhaps belongs in a tier by themselves below UK and Florida. But everyone else is in a cluster of teams that have questions about talent, experience, or coaching.
Does LSU not have a coaching question?

Probably, because at any moment during the season their coach could be suspended, arrested and/or fired. Throw those possibilities in with half the team having a chance to be declared ineligible and I get it. There's a reason every bookie I know drives a Cadillac (yeah, I'm old and they are older)
Yeah, maybe. Same be said about Auburn, too, though, and they have the 3rd best odds, so I don't buy that necessarily as the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
FWIW, and it may not be much, but ESPN has UK and Florida in the top 5 in their Way-Too-Early Top 25. LSU was #25. Auburn was included within the group just on the outside looking in.

FWIW, and it may not be much, but ESPN has UK and Florida in the top 5 in their Way-Too-Early Top 25. LSU was #25. Auburn was included within the group just on the outside looking in.

Which as we know is a complete guessing game after the Top 10-15 in college hoops...seems like consensus is Florida and UK the clear Top 2, and then most expect Auburn/LSU/Tennessee in some order to round out the Top 5.

Which if you ask me right now would I take a Top 5 league finish I would 100% be on board with that.

Which as we know is a complete guessing game after the Top 10-15 in college hoops...seems like consensus is Florida and UK the clear Top 2, and then most expect Auburn/LSU/Tennessee in some order to round out the Top 5.

Which if you ask me right now would I take a Top 5 league finish I would 100% be on board with that.
Yep, me too. It would seem to me to be a case of Rick Barnes and Tennessee starting to get benefit of the doubt from the media types, which is a great sign of respect. When you lose 4 starters to the NBA, and it is still assumed that you will figure things out in an improved league from a coaching and talent perspective, it's clear you are doing something right.

As a admitted conservative, I wish I shared that same optimism, but #5 in the league may finish 11-7, so I suppose that is entirely doable.

Wow

Washington
Florida State
VCU or Purdue
Memphis
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Kansas

That’s a tough OC schedule

I still think a pretty good season 22 w’s is where I’m at.

Wow

Washington
Florida State
VCU or Purdue
Memphis
Cincinnati
Wisconsin
Kansas

That’s a tough OC schedule

I still think a pretty good season 22 w’s is where I’m at.

That is, indeed, a brutal schedule. Luckily for us, Memphis and Wisconsin are both at home. Which gives us a distinct advantage. And Cincinatti isn't exactly the toughest arena in the US to play. I don't think we can beat Kansas or Washington on the road, so if we can manage to snag 2/3 wins from UM, Wisc, & Cincy I'll be happy.

That is, indeed, a brutal schedule. Luckily for us, Memphis and Wisconsin are both at home. Which gives us a distinct advantage. And Cincinatti isn't exactly the toughest arena in the US to play. I don't think we can beat Kansas or Washington on the road, so if we can manage to snag 2/3 wins from UM, Wisc, & Cincy I'll be happy.

Agree

Of those 7 possibly 8 games I would be happy with 3 wins......anything more I’ll be excited. Less than 3 and I may get worried.

This season is a Hugh unknown. Maybe not good, maybe pretty good, maybe really good......I know it will be no where like last season, but it “could” be fairly special.

The game against Washington is in Toronto, right?

I think we get at least 18 wins...ceiling of 21/22. The SEC has improved a ton the last few years, however, I think the overall talent level is going to be similar to last season. There will be some shuffling of teams of course. Florida was showing some good signs last year, and it feels like Georgia is only a year or two away.

Hopefully James lives up to the hype and is a true replacement for Bone, allowing Turner and Bowden their same roles from last year. We definitely need Plavsic in the middle, things were rough when Alexander wasn’t on the floor. Unfortunately there is just no was to replace Grant and Admiral on the court together. However, Barnes surprised us all with those guys...hopefully he can do it again with someone else. There’s plenty of talent on the team.

Barnes player development is what got us here, to a point where basketball fans are hopeful year after year. Let’s hope there is some magic left there.

If I can make a suggestion, I think we should not get too high or too low on this years squad. Let’s have fun with this season, pack out TBA, support these guys and know that this is essentially a transition year, not necessarily a bad season, but a year where we have some ups and downs. We have to stay focused on the direction this program seems to be headed. I just hope everyone predicting 23-25 wins will not go all “football fan” on this team and start calling for heads to roll, if/when we only get 18 or so wins. This program is well on its way to becoming a powerhouse imo, and I have a feeling this season may be a little bump in the road. With all of that nonsense said, I still think we will be very competitive and will have a good season. I just worry about a portion of our fan base if we get in the big dance by the skin of our teeth or don’t even make it at all.
GBO!!

If I can make a suggestion, I think we should not get too high or too low on this years squad. Let’s have fun with this season, pack out TBA, support these guys and know that this is essentially a transition year, not necessarily a bad season, but a year where we have some ups and downs. We have to stay focused on the direction this program seems to be headed. I just hope everyone predicting 23-25 wins will not go all “football fan” on this team and start calling for heads to roll, if/when we only get 18 or so wins. This program is well on its way to becoming a powerhouse imo, and I have a feeling this season may be a little bump in the road. With all of that nonsense said, I still think we will be very competitive and will have a good season. I just worry about a portion of our fan base if we get in the big dance by the skin of our teeth or don’t even make it at all.
GBO!!
Everything will be fine this season. Win 18 and a couple will be saying ,'told ya so.' I'd be more concerned with the fan base if they don't see E8s and F4s after a top 5 or better recruiting class. I'm hoping he rewrites his history while he's here and gets the post season monkey off his back. TN fans deserve something GOOD.

GBO!!

I really hope that the recruits sign early. Would be a great narrative to have all this season especially when things aren’t going perfectly. The announcers and media can refer to the amazing class that will be coming in the following year and show how it ranks historically for us as well as against other top b-ball programs.

GBO!!

I don't think any rational fan will be calling for heads should that happen, but Tennessee has never exactly been an entirely rational fanbase. So who knows. I just tend to believe that this roster (and coaching staff) will surprise us. I think 24 wins is entirely doable. Is that my official prediction? No. I'll play it safe and say 22. But I have some real optimism for this season. There are a lot of teams with big "?" this season. A lot of new coaches too. I think Barnes & the Boys will get it done. I just hope this recruiting success in 2020 and 2021 finally translates into real postseason success. That's the big question. This upcoming season will just be fun and with little expectations.

I don't think any rational fan will be calling for heads should that happen, but Tennessee has never exactly been an entirely rational fanbase. So who knows. I just tend to believe that this roster (and coaching staff) will surprise us. I think 24 wins is entirely doable. Is that my official prediction? No. I'll play it safe and say 22. But I have some real optimism for this season. There are a lot of teams with big "?" this season. A lot of new coaches too. I think Barnes & the Boys will get it done. I just hope this recruiting success in 2020 and 2021 finally translates into real postseason success. That's the big question. This upcoming season will just be fun and with little expectations.
The “rational fan” thing is what worries me.
🤪
GBO!!

VN Store

Back