Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he had respect for the university he would squash the rumors.

If he flat out said "I will not be the next head coach at Tennessee" people would just say he's doing exactly what Saban did..... Soooon....

He's doing what he should do. He's staying out of it until Phil makes an announcement one way or the other...

Reactions: 1 person
It just feels different than 2012, tonight once again he left it open. I think they've offered and I think he has been seriously considering it. He could say no for sure, but I just have a feeling he is going to pull the trigger. The next 48 hours is going to be very important for us Tennessee fans I think. I am calm yet anxious, I am a little nervous yet I feel confident even in the face of it all. Grudenight and Grudevibes! SOON! Gruden to Rocky Top!!!!!!:rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
If he flat out said "I will not be the next head coach at Tennessee" people would just say he's doing exactly what Saban did..... Soooon....

He's doing what he should do. He's staying out of it until Phil makes an announcement one way or the other...

That is how that typically works. Gruden will not get to pre-announce, just cause his name is Gruden.

About to the end of the line for me here with cryptic comments and veiled innuendo.

I'm setting my own deadline on this one. If there is no resolution on this by Friday, someone just email me when we get a new coach. I did my part by helping get change done, but this team and the University as a whole needs to move on from this. And the sooner the better.

Rome wasn't built in a day, I understand and acknowledge this. But enough cutting bait.

My deadline is tomorrow by midnight. I truly think something will happen tomorrow but I'm moving on either way. I've got a busy week at the office and can't afford to dedicate any more time to this search. We've given our all for weeks and had to watch other teams hire their coaches while our dysfunctional administration makes us look silly. It's time for them to make a move now.

No, there is another way of letting the fan base down very gently.

"Look man, Tennessee came in with a great offer and I really thought hard about it. But after I talked it over with my family, we decided it was best for me to just continue doing what I am now. I love that school and the passion they show, but I just don't feel it's best for me."

Simple, done, no specifics, just an easy letdown.

Reactions: 9 people
My deadline is tomorrow by midnight. I truly think something will happen tomorrow but I'm moving on either way. I've got a busy week at the office and can't afford to dedicate any more time to this search. We've given our all for weeks and had to watch other teams hire their coaches while our dysfunctional administration makes us look silly. It's time for them to make a move now.

I don’t know the cut off time tomorrow. But after that it will move very fast.

New coach by Thursday evening with visiting recruits Friday. Wednesday the earliest and Thursday the latest but someone will be announced.

That is how that typically works. Gruden will not get to pre-announce, just cause his name is Gruden.

Just saying at some point in all this if he wasn't even interested he could have took himself out of the talk. That isn't pre-announcing anything. But I agree the reason he isn't doing this, is because he indeed has been talking to them and he has either made up his mind or is making a decision. That is what I believe. SOON!:rock:

"Look man, Tennessee came in with a great offer and I really thought hard about it. But after I talked it over with my family, we decided it was best for me to just continue doing what I am now. I love that school and the passion they show, but I just don't feel it's best for me."

I think he signs IMO. Was just to weird tonight watching that game.

Reactions: 3 people

Keep in mind, the deadline for gruden is supposedly tomorrow. That doesn't mean VN will know anything then. I would assume if he says yes you will begin to see leaks starting to roll out.

I did end up hearing one thing from one of my trusted guys. (However, to be fair no one saw schiano coming outside of haslam).

The plan is to get Gruden to give us a yes or no tomorrow. He knows that’s the deadline. We aren’t going to wait another 1-2 weeks trying to convince him. He either takes this Saban like offer with astronomical amounts of money for him and his assistants or he doesn’t. He told me it’s 50/50. Everyone is cautiously optimistic. Fulmer does have a good relationship with gruden so if it was to ever happen it’s now.

Also told me every big time coach is aware of the type of work that will be required to rebuild TN. Yes we have some big time athletes but the 0-8 in the SEC is not by mistake. The culture will have to be completely rebuilt. Lack of an OL coming into next season. Player development is going to be a 24/7 priority. New offense and defense installed with not the greatest depth or players for said schemes. Next years scheudle is brutal as well.

These are concerns from the big time coaches among some of the up and comers. This is the feedback TN has been given from the potential coaching candidates. Which is why you’ll see he Pruitt’s of the world ask for large money for him and his assistants. For us to win we need to spend big on a Georgia, bama, LSU type staff. TN has been on a down swing and with all of the drama from this year and mediocrity over the last decade...we are going to have to over pay.

Side note he said he HIGHLY doubts it is Steele from what he’s been hearing.

I read the war room from VQ earlier...Steele was the name mentioned bc he’s the lone tn guy on their hot board. However, Hubbs and other mods admitted that there is no front runner.

Reactions: 27 people
I did end up hearing one thing from one of my trusted guys. (However, to be fair no one saw schiano coming outside of haslam).

The plan is to get Gruden to give us a yes or no tomorrow. He knows that’s the deadline. We aren’t going to wait another 1-2 weeks trying to convince him. He either takes this Saban like offer with astronomical amounts of money for him and his assistants or he doesn’t. He told me it’s 50/50. Everyone is cautiously optimistic. Fulmer does have a good relationship with gruden so if it was to ever happen it’s now.

Also told me every big time coach is aware of the type of work that will be required to rebuild TN. Yes we have some big time athletes but the 0-8 in the SEC is not by mistake. The culture will have to be completely rebuilt. Lack of an OL coming into next season. Player development is going to be a 24/7 priority. New offense and defense installed with not the greatest depth or players for said schemes. Next years scheudle is brutal as well.

These are concerns from the big time coaches among some of the up and comers. This is the feedback TN has been given from the potential coaching candidates. Which is why you’ll see he Pruitt’s of the world ask for large money for him and his assistants. For us to win we need to spend big on a Georgia, bama, LSU type staff. TN has been on a down swing and with all of the drama from this year and mediocrity over the last decade...we are going to have to over pay.

I read the war room from VQ earlier...Steele was the name mentioned bc he’s the lone tn guy on their hot board. However, Hubbs and other mods admitted that there is no front runner.

Ill take 50/50 :hi:

I think he signs IMO. Was just to weird tonight watching that game.

Nope, no more signs. Nothing else left except a yes or a no.

I watched a once proud program get torn apart in a single season this year because the AD was too stupid to remove a coach when everyone, and I do mean everyone, knew he needed to be removed. Yet he continued until the pressure was so bad to fire him, he had no other choice.

Only to turn around and completely eff up what should have been a reasonably simple process if we are to believe the rumors. Which turned this once proud program into a laughingstock which in turn made it into the most pitiful program in recent memory. We fans ignored that and committed ourselves to change at the AD level and pushing out the old money. We did our part. Now it's time for them to hold up the end of their bargain.

I don't care if it's Gruden, Miles, Petersen or Tee. Just get us a coach we can be proud of and put some fire back into this program. No more substandard hires, no more up and comers, no more three and outs. They get someone that's honored to wear the Power T and know what it represents or they risk losing a loyal fan base that rose to the occasion.

It. Is. Time.

Reactions: 27 people

Thanks for the info, I will say that Bama was a lot further down talent wise than we are now. Sure we have a lot that needs fixed, but it isn't nothing a great staff can't do. A staff lead by Gruden and our recruiting would take off, I am sure folks pushing for him are telling him this. In my opinion this is the fit we need, Gruden to Tennessee would get us back on the path. I see him having great success in college. This is the time, it's prime time now for him to get back into coaching. The NFL is not that popular right now, I know he loves Tennessee. Life is too short too look back and say what might have been. If 2012 almost happened, 2017 NEEDS TO HAPPEN, second chances don't happen very often. COME HOME JON!!!!! GRUDEN TO THE VOLS!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Exactly. Be a man and say something...

I'm starting to think he either doesn't have the cajones to get back into coaching or he's a publicity hound

This is MHO only. He is very well revered in TN. He loves the Vols and the University. I believe that he doesn't want to take the job and fail. He doesn't want to lose all that admiration. We will all see him as a failure and he can't live with that on his conscious.

A man's ego is a very fragile thing.

I didn't say there weren't other ways to handle the situation. He's taking a different route though and I don't have a problem with it..

I've been in the I'll believe it when I see it camp from the get go (2012 and 2017). I've enjoyed these threads because I view them as a source of entertainment. Unfortunately many on here are way to invested in this and ride a roller coaster of emotion.

This is MHO only. He is very well revered in TN. He loves the Vols and the University. I believe that he doesn't want to take the job and fail. He doesn't want to lose all that admiration. We will all see him as a failure and he can't live with that on his conscious.

A man's ego is a very fragile thing.

Great coaches aren't afraid of failure, they are driven to succeed. SOON!!!! GRUDEN TO THE HILL!!!!!!!:rock:

Nope, no more signs. Nothing else left except a yes or a no.

I watched a once proud program get torn apart in a single season this year because the AD was too stupid to remove a coach when everyone, and I do mean everyone, knew he needed to be removed. Yet he continued until the pressure was so bad to fire him, he had no other choice.

Only to turn around and completely eff up what should have been a reasonably simple process if we are to believe the rumors. Which turned this once proud program into a laughingstock which in turn made it into the most pitiful program in recent memory. We fans ignored that and committed ourselves to change at the AD level and pushing out the old money. We did our part. Now it's time for them to hold up the end of their bargain.

I don't care if it's Gruden, Miles, Petersen or Tee. Just get us a coach we can be proud of and put some fire back into this program. No more substandard hires, no more up and comers, no more three and outs. They get someone that's honored to wear the Power T and know what it represents or they risk losing a loyal fan base that rose to the occasion.

It. Is. Time.

This is precisely how every true Vols fan feels. I want to feel excited about game day again. I want to War my orange and not have to put up with being mocked for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back