Official Jon Gruden Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry it took a while to answer but I'm 57 so I do know what Phil did. I also know how Phil got the job to begin with.
I realize he has done some good things but this is a totally different area than what he has done in the past. If it weren't for his Tennessee roots he never would have been considered for this job.He has made alot of questionable hires in the past also. I have said on numerous occasions the thought of hiring someone because they went to school here or are from Tennessee is absolutely foolish. If you did this in management you would not be employed long. You hire the most qualified person for the job that seems to really want to be there. I cringe everytime I see "we need to hire a Tennessee man".
I sure hope I'm wrong but I got a bad feeling about this.

I would agree 100% in the business world, and yes college football is a business, but your consumer is not looking for a bargain. Your consumer wants the best $ can buy and in a case like this it may take a UT man to do that. Others (Currie) would be looking at it from a business standpoint, wanting the most bang for your buck. We've tried that route twice now and its cost us a lot. We need someone willing to throw up big $ and if your heart isn't tied to the university you're not willing to do that. Phil may not be either, but I think we have a better shot at it b/c of his ties (heart) than we would with an outsider.

Reactions: 2 people
giphy.gif

This is Peyton's dinner with Haslam's and the other boosters tonight.

Reactions: 2 people
I would agree 100% in the business world, and yes college football is a business, but your consumer is not looking for a bargain. Your consumer wants the best $ can buy and in a case like this it may take a UT man to do that. Others (Currie) would be looking at it from a business standpoint, wanting the most bang for your buck. We've tried that route twice now and its cost us a lot. We need someone willing to throw up big $ and if your heart isn't tied to the university you're not willing to do that. Phil may not be either, but I think we have a better shot at it b/c of his ties (heart) than we would with an outsider.

Good points. I am sure Phil knows how much he is allowed to offer. And he knows it ain't his money so he's dang well gonna spend it.

BradHensley,on TOS who had projected Les was a done deal and would be announced Wednesday, just said there has been a wrinkle in the coaching search and the AD has gone silent to the boosters. Blackjack chimed in "dead silent" . Who knows what this might mean? Just FYI

Guess Hensley found out his guess wasn't going to pan out and is now waffling.

1 Know when you are beaten.gif

Reactions: 1 person
BradHensley,on TOS who had projected Les was a done deal and would be announced Wednesday, just said there has been a wrinkle in the coaching search and the AD has gone silent to the boosters. Blackjack chimed in "dead silent" . Who knows what this might mean? Just FYI

Multiple people said last night he doesent know a thing

Tifwiw

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back