Official Jon Gruden Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was said waiver granted due to the NCAA troubles, or simply the fact that they askefor it?

I guess if you were to "fire" dooley and keep him on would they allow that waiever again?

I think if he is fired the NCAA would allow the new head coach to recruit as long as he had zero Coaching duties for the bowl game even with DD coaching the bowl

2002 Tampa Depth Chart...yes he won a Superbowl w/ Brad Johnson at QB.

2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers "Depth Chart"

http://media.tbo.com/pdf/080408bucsdepthchart.pdf

apologies for the hard to read graphics.

Know what's weird?

I've mentioned like 10 guys off the Super Bowl roster multiple times and knew them off the top of my head just because my brother was a big fan. It occurred to me that I never mentioned Warrick Dunn and after looking it up, I couldn't believe he wasn't even on the roster. When I thought of him, I thought I had just been forgetting about him when I made the list.

Definitely random to bring that up but if someone had mentioned Warrick Dunn winning a championship with the Bucs, I never would have questioned it. If anything, I was surprised to find out he wasn't on the team when they won.

All these smug media members that still mock anyone suggesting Gruden to them I will say nana nana boo boo. Sorry for the language...go carried away for a minute

Football Rumor Mill‏ @fbrumormill: Jon Gruden is looking more unlikely at Tennessee. He now appears more likely to land in the NFL. Bobby Petrino could emerge as a candidate.

Weren't these the same guys that said Kevin Steele would be UT's next defensive coordinator last year?

I'd say 10% of Vols fans would accept Petrino as coach. There is no way less than a year is enough for people to forget that fiasco. That is not a home run hire more like a sac fly when you are down 12-0. PETRINO IS NOT COMING HERE.

Petrino is smoke screen

Meyer got a waiver while a full staff coached the bowl game.

Not what I was told....but you may be right. I thought Tressel was already gone. That is how it was explained to me.

As far as the announcement, my post may have been confusing, if so I'm sorry. They don't want an interim coach, and that has nothing to do with the timing. I understand the timing has more to do with keeping the "search" off the grid to the media. With Dooley in place they simply don't have to talk about it.

They only possibility of an interim would come if we made a bowl game, and that would be after the Gruden announcement.

I think if he is fired the NCAA would allow the new head coach to recruit as long as he had zero Coaching duties for the bowl game even with DD coaching the bowl

I see that as best case scenario; don't know how likely but definately best case if the time line holds up as described.

gonna be a very unproductive 4 weeks...:blink:

Weren't these the same guys that said Kevin Steele would be UT's next defensive coordinator last year?

These guys know about as much as we Do. I remember they claimed Shannon as our coach then changed their stance within 3 days. They also said Steele was our man. They were 0for2

Well there was never a chance at Petrino landing here. There are enough Southern Baptist in this thread alone to make sure that doesn't happen

I'd like to see Gruden pull a recruit or two from Kiffen. He's got one 5* out of Nashville committed and a 4* from Ky. Really don't know anything about the recruits but I'd like to see it.
I think he'd have a great chance with Jalen Ramsey. This D really needs help in the secondary. Might find a starting job sometime next year. Would probably have to get in line at USC. Plus Kiffin's dad is catching a lot of flak lately.

If he brings UT even one National Championship, he is a home run hire. Whatever his other seasons are will be judged with the whole in regards to future retention. But that one Championship will be as much as any other coach has done at UT since the General. As such, totally worth it.

I don't know that it will happen, but that was what your hypothetical question was asking, and that's my answer.

ummm, Fulmer 98 ring a bell? how quickly some forget :eek:hmy:

Not what I was told....but you may be right. I thought Tressel was already gone. That is how it was explained to me.

As far as the announcement, my post may have been confusing, if so I'm sorry. They don't want an interim coach, and that has nothing to do with the timing. I understand the timing has more to do with keeping the "search" off the grid to the media. With Dooley in place they simply don't have to talk about it.

They only possibility of an interim would come if we made a bowl game, and that would be after the Gruden announcement.
What happens if we lose to Troy?

Just a thought - when TOny B. mentioned JG speaking with Kiffin - he may have been talking about Monte. ANd iirc he thoroughly enjoyed his time in Knoxville - seems like that would fit better in that story...

These guys know about as much as we Do. I remember they claimed Shannon as our coach then changed their stance within 3 days. They also said Steele was our man. They were 0for2

Right. And they do call themselves the Rumor Mill. By definition, one must take what's reported with a grain of salt. In some cases, you might be wise to invest in a salt mine or perhaps a flat.

TMZ for CFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back