Official Jon Gruden Thread 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil Fulmer is on ESPN Radio 105.1 in Chattanooga right now. He said that he is not involved in the coaching search whatsoever and has no idea who's in the mix.

If there’s one person here that believes this ... you are in the wrong thread and don’t know anything about Tennessee Football .

Reactions: 3 people
Phil Fulmer is on ESPN Radio 105.1 in Chattanooga right now. He said that he is not involved in the coaching search whatsoever and has no idea who's in the mix.

Phil may have deviated from the truth in that statement but if he is doing it for the greater good, then he gets a pass. Maybe even a like...

Reactions: 3 people
BarnettFF.gif

Reactions: 5 people
The real Dale Jones' tweets are protected. You have to be his friend to see them... I just sent him a request. If he accepts and I see the tweet, I'll come back and confirm.

EDIT: It's from Facebook, not Twitter.

I'm a follower of his. That's not on his Twitter. His last Tweet was 11/8.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the bourbon recommendations, I have sampled most of these save Buffalo Trace and Woodford, may pick them both up and have a fallback plan for tomorrow.

As far as the X's and O's are concerned, there is very little difference between college and the NFL. As a matter of fact, I would say the NFL is harder to scheme against. Would recruiting be a concern? Yes. But thats why you hire a great recruiting coordinator and more so a great staff.

There are major differences. One of those major differences is that you're faced with more limitations in college. If you craft an extremely complex offense, chances are that several players won't be able to grasp it. Those players, remember, have all kinds of other duties (e.g. classes) and aren't full-time football players making big money. Success in college football often has more to do with talent development than X's and O's. I have no doubt that Gruden could improve play-calling in Year 1, but I have significant doubt that Jarrett Guarantano could develop into an elite QB under Gruden, whereas, I know Dan Mullen will get the most out of JG's talent.

If you look at Jim Mora at UCLA, you see a similar pattern. He improved play-calling and game-planning almost immediately, but player development has fallen off. So he had a few good seasons early-on, but the program has declined overall under him.

If you really want to understand why Gruden could fail in the NFL, I think it's most instructive to read about Callahan's failure at Nebraska. Remember that Callahan was Gruden's OC at Oakland.

Doomed to Failure: The Bill Callahan ClusterFool

Callahan's NFL sized playbook simply overwhelmed players. Thousands of plays...all in search of perfection. Players only got a limited amount of time to digest each part of the playbook before the next lesson... there was no time to teach or correct things during practice because the coaching staff had already moved on to the next lesson. So each player muddled through as best they could. And boy, did it show on gameday. Sometimes running three or more different plays on each snap, as confusion reigned supreme.

The funny thing is that oh so often, the opponent was better prepared for what Nebraska was trying to do than Nebraska was. Or was that the sad thing. Or was it so pathetic it was funny?.

So the biggest takeaway here is that Gruden's great X's and O's in the NFL won't necessarily translate to the college game where he's going to deal with a much more limited playbook. Many coaches have said that Gruden's biggest weakness in the NFL was talent development; but that's one of the most important parts of the college game. I think Gruden would have more success than Callahan simply because Gruden's personality is better than Callahan's, but he also has some of the same weaknesses as Callahan with an overly complex offense and he's not good at talent development. Perhaps Gruden could find assistants that would make up for his weaknesses, but to me, I just can't view him as a top-tier candidate compared to coaches like Mullen, Frost, Fuente, or even Brent Venables.

Last edited:
What a BS article, and it intentionally omits JG's record in Oakland. The fact that he is above .500 after coaching the two most dysfunctional teams in the league is a pure testament to the man's ability. He would be a slam dunk hire, a superstar hire, unfortunately.....

I’ve paid less attention to this thread today then in quite some time...that’s how confident I am that we have our man. I could list all the reasons I think that and the posters I trust...but honestly that’s been hashed out a million times. I’m headed for the beach tomorrow for a week and while I’m sure I’ll check in because this thing is like crack, I honestly don’t feel I need to because this thing was over a couple days ago, IMO. It’s Gruden to the Hill, the only question is who’s coming with him. Carry on Grudenites, it’s been a pleasure.

tenor.gif

On a side note, wonder if Frank Caliendo can coach??? I’m sure he’d do it for much cheaper and has to be better than the last two goons! Seriously though, IF it doesn’t work out, Patterson/Peterson should be 1A and 1B! I’m still all in on Gruden until ITS A FACT he’s not in the running. I keep getting hung up on his last 2 interviews (Mike & Mike/ Huard) and what he said. I mean he has to know all of Volnation would hear and read into it. I just can’t see him doing that with his son going to UT and all the other connections he has here if there wasnt something there. JMO.

Edit: C. Kelly #2 and Patterson Peterson 3A/3B.

SIAP... a poster on TOS posted this:

Brent Dougherty- host of 3hl on 104.5 in Nashville (he’s a UT grad, his gramps played for the General if I remember correctly) just said his gruden-meter had been way down but was back up at a 7 now. He also said it’s th craziest thing he’s ever seen.
He isn’t a troll and he isn’t saying anything is happening but he also didn’t say it isn’t happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back