Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

No matter how much I try, I can't get past the mid engine euro design influence.
The new vette is a beautiful car and a performance beast. It just doesn’t look like a vette to me anymore. Even though I’m a blue oval boy I’ve always loved and respected the vette. Now it’s just another mid engine super car 🤷‍♂️😥

I thought the GT was pretty dominant. At least a year or two.

The GT-40 started out from Lola origins powered by a modified Ford 289. They quickly graduated to the Mk2 and Mk4 with Ford 427s (as I recall basic NASCAR engines from Holman-Moody). The Europeans (especially Ferrari) didn't like getting beat at home, so the 427s (large displacement engines in general) were banned and Ford had proved a point vs Ferrari, so Ford as a factory team quit and went home. What might have been interesting is if Ford had gotten together with Cosworth for smaller lightweight engines for the prototypes - Ford had worked with Cosworth on engines since the 60s when they got into Indy racing.

The new vette is a beautiful car and a performance beast. It just doesn’t look like a vette to me anymore. Even though I’m a blue oval boy I’ve always loved and respected the vette. Now it’s just another mid engine super car 🤷‍♂️😥

Did you see my 9:20 pm youtube post on post #24,486 last page of the 2020 vette? Beautiful red beast for $85K.
Of course, there's luggage space for a tooth brush if you have one.

Late 60s vetted are the real deal. Tiny car, big 427. My dad had one that would bring the right front tire almost a foot off the ground when he stood on it. He flipped it off a bridge up near GSMNP and landed upside down in a creek. Split his face from between his eyes down almost to his Adam's apple...right down the middle. He lived though, and even after they pulled it out of the creek he was able to trade it for 2 used Volvos...lol...1 for him and 1 for my mom. His ears had both filled up with blood and he was still unconscious when he got to the hospital, so they called my grandparents (rip) and told them to come say their goodbyes. Turned out he just had a broken jaw and a 10 inch split down the middle of his face. He was fine in a month or 2, other than scars. Him and my uncle, who had and still has a GTO with the judge package, had some really sweet rides back in the day.

Late 60s vetted are the real deal. Tiny car, big 427. My dad had one that would bring the right front tire almost a foot off the ground when he stood on it. He flipped it off a bridge up near GSMNP and landed upside down in a creek. Split his face from between his eyes down almost to his Adam's apple...right down the middle. He lived though, and even after they pulled it out of the creek he was able to trade it for 2 used Volvos...lol...1 for him and 1 for my mom. His ears had both filled up with blood and he was still unconscious when he got to the hospital, so they called my grandparents (rip) and told them to come say their goodbyes. Turned out he just had a broken jaw and a 10 inch split down the middle of his face. He was fine in a month or 2, other than scars. Him and my uncle, who had and still has a GTO with the judge package, had some really sweet rides back in the day.

Those were impressive; the late model Vettes have been kinda blah. Maybe car styles are impressed on us early like music because I know my tastes run to things more like a Ferrari GTO and Cobra Daytona Coupe than a lot of the more current "exotic" style.

daytona.jpg

A face split open is some of the most hard core gangsta stuff I've ever read. Wow!

Reactions: AM64
Those were impressive; the late model Vettes have been kinda blah. Maybe car styles are impressed on us early like music because I know my tastes run to things more like a Ferrari GTO and Cobra Daytona Coupe than a lot of the more current "exotic" style.

View attachment 232097

I can only imagine how loud those side pipes are.

:p It really was about the mid engine. I have to admit a Vette with an engine in the middle is weird though. I can't remember who it was now, but somebody like a Bobby Allison type was quoted as saying that a car with an engine at one end was predictable when it got into a slide, but one with all that mass in the middle got strange.
Best handling car I ever owned was that ‘72 Porsche 914 with the mid-engine, the 4-cylinder 1.7 liter that was in most of the 914s. Same engine that was in the VW bus. That was the car I cracked up one morning going to work when I was run off the road on I-45 in Galveston County. But in the 2 short years I had it, before it bit the dust, that car took me all over, from Baton Rouge to Miami for a wedding , to Beaufort, NC to crew on a sailboat up to CT; to Grand Isle crabbing; on a camping vacation to Utah; my first of two moves to Houston; and of course a couple trips to the Smoky Mtns.

Did you see my 9:20 pm youtube post on post #24,486 last page of the 2020 vette? Beautiful red beast for $85K.
Of course, there's luggage space for a tooth brush if you have one.

I just can't see spending that much on a modern day vehicle that will be worth 1/3rd its value in 5 years. Even the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks have reached the stratosphere when it comes to options and pricing.

IMO, for 85k one can find a well equipped C2 corvette or 1st gen camaro Z28 with the 302 engine for that amount. But that's just me and my .02 cents.

@Freak Hey any reason I could not attach an MP3 less than 1 MB? Tried M4A and WAV as well.
Just not a default option for the software and I never enabled it because I don’t particular want to have to worry about unknowingly hosting copyrighted files. What are you trying to upload? I’m too lazy to read back through to find out. Lol.

Reactions: Orangeburst
Just not a default option for the software and I never enabled it because I don’t particular want to have to worry about unknowingly hosting copyrighted files. What are you trying to upload? I’m too lazy to read back through to find out. Lol.

It was just a couple of guitar recordings that I recorded on my MacBook VoiceMemo. I converted them to MP3. Do not concern yourself any further as I did not know. Thank you sir.

I just can't see spending that much on a modern day vehicle that will be worth 1/3rd its value in 5 years. Even the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks have reached the stratosphere when it comes to options and pricing.

IMO, for 85k one can find a well equipped C2 corvette or 1st gen camaro Z28 with the 302 engine for that amount. But that's just me and my .02 cents.

That's why I said I'd take one of those for FREE.....I'm not paying more than $12K-$14K for a ride.
I'm cheap but I buy good cars that are cheap. I'm too old wanting to impress people.

Best handling car I ever owned was that ‘72 Porsche 914 with the mid-engine, the 4-cylinder 1.7 liter that was in most of the 914s. Same engine that was in the VW bus. That was the car I cracked up one morning going to work when I was run off the road on I-45 in Galveston County. But in the 2 short years I had it, before it bit the dust, that car took me all over, from Baton Rouge to Miami for a wedding , to Beaufort, NC to crew on a sailboat up to CT; to Grand Isle crabbing; on a camping vacation to Utah; my first of two moves to Houston; and of course a couple trips to the Smoky Mtns.

My sister had a mid 70's Triumph Spitfire. The most worthless pile of engineered junk ever designed by man.

My sister had a mid 70's Triumph Spitfire. The most worthless pile of engineered junk ever designed by man.

I've got a neighbor with something similar just sitting around. A few years ago I might have asked how much, but even then I'd probably have passed. Too many British sports cars are just too hard to keep running to be worth it.

No I did not. She loved that little car and it was fun, but in shop all the time.
I also had a TR4 for a couple of years there; it was basically a hobby car during the time I was driving that 914. I sort of bought it in a left handed way, with money I had originally borrowed from my employee credit union to buy an Austin Healey 3000 which had been spiffed up by a fellow in Louisiana who restored and flipped such cars for a living. He also had a beautiful, 1959 Jaguar XK-something-or-other - white with red leather - but it was out of my price range. So we had agreed on a price of $1500 for the Austin Healey and I told him I needed a couple days to get the money. A couple days later I came back with the money and danged if he hadn't already sold that car! So most of that money ended up putting central air in my little starter house in Baton Rouge, and what was left I went out and spent on a raggedy TR4...

Reactions: Orangeburst

VN Store

Back