Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Not political, but probably will get a 10 from our IT nerds

dbaf0d8fed9c276fc1ec30136a4b5479-jpg.93187

A long time ago a much younger version of me was out in the Mojave on flight test at a private airfield that was one of many pilot training fields hurried into service in WW2. We got notice from the administrative office that a C-54 water bomber wanted to do a fly by. The pilot in command had done flight training at that field in WW2 and was on his final flight and wanted to end where he started. They of course said absolutely and got the word out to the field. The runway was lined with people.

When he did his pass right down the runway he was maybe 200 ft off the deck and had to have the throttles firewalled as he screamed by. At the end of the runway he pulled up sharply and stood this huge 4 engine radial on its tail and climbed to a near stall. Did a rudder kick and pointed it straight down and pulled out level then lowered to under a hundred feet off the deck, I kid you not, for his second even faster pass with all that momentum, and opened the bomber doors midway down the runway. Got to the end of the runway, wagged the wings, and flew into retirement.

Dude could fly.

There are way too many great pilots forced into retirement simply based on age. That and the current hour related requirements for new pilots have the airline industry turned upside down.

Currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. Read the first 4 chapters so far. Has anyone else read this book?

I'm making good use of my new reading glasses too.

Yep. Read it years ago. You might follow it up with Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. A lot of the classics are really good books usually spoiled by HS English when students have to read them and then are further penalized by having to write a book report. One interesting twist is to read Victor Hugo's Les Misérables and Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities back to back. Except for books necessary for professional development, reading should be for entertainment or simple self interest to be properly appreciated.

I worked at the public library in KPT during HS. 2 hours a day after school, reshelving books. I got pretty good (fast) at it, and I could typically spend about 20 minutes or so reading what I called classics.
Solzhenitsyn's "Gulag Archipelago" had just been published in English. Willa Cather's "My Antonia" comes to mind. I MADE myself read "War and Peace." It took months. Later on, I gravitated to WW2 espionage novels.

I worked at the public library in KPT during HS. 2 hours a day after school, reshelving books. I got pretty good (fast) at it, and I could typically spend about 20 minutes or so reading what I called classics.
Solzhenitsyn's "Gulag Archipelago" had just been published in English. Willa Cather's "My Antonia" comes to mind. I MADE myself read "War and Peace." It took months. Later on, I gravitated to WW2 espionage novels.

When you think about it many of the old novels called literature were really a lot like what we call espionage novels or political thrillers - just set in a different time period. The French Revolution, the English/French wars, and the wars between the English and Scots were great fodder for the classics.

VN Store

Back