Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I found an article from back in Sept that speculated it but they also thought it unlikely they figured he’d be more likely to head to the NFL like Kingsbury.

That being said it goes to show how manic depressive this fan base is in going from being underwhelmed with the hire in March to sweating that he’s such a hot commodity that OU will come calling in November 😂

That being said I’m glad the OU job is open now and not a year or two.

It's not often you see a coach that built a perennial playoff team leave for a rebuild.

This is crazy. Did not have this in my 2021 cards...

It's not often you see a coach that built a perennial playoff team leave for a rebuild.

I'm guessing that when you see his contract that it will answer your question. USC is private from what I recall, so they may not have to disclose the terms of the contract.

True but again that specific job is probably the best choice as a fixer upper. USC recruits on its name alone from the most talent fertile state in the nation. And the road to the natty is much easier thru LA than Tuscalooser, Gainesville, Red Stick, Athens, or soon to be Austin and Norman.

If anything I’d wonder if he chose a marquis job with a path of least resistance to stay on top. Couldn’t blame him.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
He didn't build Oklahoma, he inherited it from Bob Stoops.

Facing facts, OU was in a bit of a slump until Riley took over. I'll give the man all the credit in the world for being a QB whisperer as well.

It's going to be interesting to see who they come up with to replace him. Though I certainly disagree with some of the idiots in the FF thinking OU isn't a destination job or rather than USCw is more of a destination job than OU. It's one of the college Blue Blood programs that certainly has the talent and history to woo a big name hire.

Facing facts, OU was in a bit of a slump until Riley took over. I'll give the man all the credit in the world for being a QB whisperer as well.

It's going to be interesting to see who they come up with to replace him. Though I certainly disagree with some of the idiots in the FF thinking OU isn't a destination job or rather than USCw is more of a destination job than OU. It's one of the college Blue Blood programs that certainly has the talent and history to woo a big name hire.
What's going to hurt OU is the impending move to the SEC. I absolutely believe that factored into Riley's decision to leave. They will not shine in the SEC like they have in the Big 12. That's just a given. They're going from an overall weak conference to the hardest conference in all of college football. Saying that, they are still a blue blood program, BUT the job of coaching there is about to get a helluva lot harder.

I know Bob is coming out of retirement to coach the bowl game, do you think he may stick around, or is this a one-time thing? Some of the people they are rumored to be targeting is ridiculous. Like Kingsbury. Why would a guy who is currently succeeding in the NFL leave for OU? Not happening IMO. Personally, I think they should try to be the team to finally sway Matt Campbell to leave Iowa State. He's struggled some this year, but I still think he's a good coach.

OU also has to contend with LSU searching for a coach as well. I think Riley may have screwed them over as well. They were convinced he was their next coach, so much so that behind-the-scenes rumors said he had already agreed to a deal. Then Saturday he came out and said he wouldn't be their next coach, and that apparently caught many down there by surprise.

Now, of course, we get to hear all the Heupel to OU rumors, but no way do I think that happens.

Reactions: SumSoonerChick
What's going to hurt OU is the impending move to the SEC. I absolutely believe that factored into Riley's decision to leave. They will not shine in the SEC like they have in the Big 12. That's just a given. They're going from an overall weak conference to the hardest conference in all of college football. Saying that, they are still a blue blood program, BUT the job of coaching there is about to get a helluva lot harder.

I know Bob is coming out of retirement to coach the bowl game, do you think he may stick around, or is this a one-time thing? Some of the people they are rumored to be targeting is ridiculous. Like Kingsbury. Why would a guy who is currently succeeding in the NFL leave for OU? Not happening IMO. Personally, I think they should try to be the team to finally sway Matt Campbell to leave Iowa State. He's struggled some this year, but I still think he's a good coach.

OU also has to contend with LSU searching for a coach as well. I think Riley may have screwed them over as well. They were convinced he was their next coach, so much so that behind-the-scenes rumors said he had already agreed to a deal. Then Saturday he came out and said he wouldn't be their next coach, and that apparently caught many down there by surprise.

Now, of course, we get to hear all the Heupel to OU rumors, but no way do I think that happens.

I honestly think OU will sell itself over a place like LSU. They do tend to have a huge loyalty to the coaches they hire and tend to give them as many chances as possible to succeed rather than the 3 and out like many places. The facilities are top notch, the school and tradition tends to sell itself in recruiting and the pay is pretty dang good for the coaches.

Do I think Big Game Bob will stick around? Dunno, but doubtful. He still holds a lot of sway in the Norman area, but I'm not entirely positive he wants to get back into the game in a big way.

Matt Campbell would be an interesting hire, but I do NOT think we want such a coach in the SEC. The man can do more with lesser talent than most out there and has shown he can be competitive. Can he be Championship caliber? With the right amount of star powered athletes behind him, I believe so.

I never expected Americans to be so easily manipulated by fear. I mean, I see it in action but I always believed most of us, deep down, weren't full of anxiety at our core.

The FF and its hysteria over Heupel's unlikely departure to OU has changed my outlook. Most people are a quivering blob of spineless goo hyper-reactive and anxiety ridden. Should the feces ever really hit the fan in America, we no longer possess the chutzpah as a population to win the day.

I honestly think OU will sell itself over a place like LSU. They do tend to have a huge loyalty to the coaches they hire and tend to give them as many chances as possible to succeed rather than the 3 and out like many places. The facilities are top notch, the school and tradition tends to sell itself in recruiting and the pay is pretty dang good for the coaches.

Do I think Big Game Bob will stick around? Dunno, but doubtful. He still holds a lot of sway in the Norman area, but I'm not entirely positive he wants to get back into the game in a big way.

Matt Campbell would be an interesting hire, but I do NOT think we want such a coach in the SEC. The man can do more with lesser talent than most out there and has shown he can be competitive. Can he be Championship caliber? With the right amount of star powered athletes behind him, I believe so.
The only big selling point for OU over LSU, IMO, is the admin at LSU seems more dysfunctional. I think they can match OU in money, and I think they top OU when it comes to recruiting base. A good coach at LSU will lock down the state, and Louisiana produces quite a bit of HS talent each year. OU has to contend with Texas and TAMU in recruiting.

Like I said before, OU is about to face a whole new landscape. I'm not sure the fans there are ready yet for what an SEC schedule is like. It won't be the cake walk that the Big 12 normally is.

I don't want OU to hire Matt Campbell, I just think he's their best option off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with other names, but, if I were an OU fan, I'd be hoping the AD was giving him a call.

I think Venable is a lot like Bud Foster and doesn't aspire to be a HC, could be wrong but he's had to have opportunities to be a HC.
He has, but I believe his son was playing for him at Clemson, and I think that son just gave up football, so now might be that perfect storm to move on.

I never expected Americans to be so easily manipulated by fear. I mean, I see it in action but I always believed most of us, deep down, weren't full of anxiety at our core.

The FF and its hysteria over Heupel's unlikely departure to OU has changed my outlook. Most people are a quivering blob of spineless goo hyper-reactive and anxiety ridden. Should the feces ever really hit the fan in America, we no longer possess the chutzpah as a population to win the day.

And besides we have tons of experience in hiring coaches - just another day at the office.

VN Store

Back