Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I get that people shouldn't throw ish on the field but some of the reactions are super Karenish. One guy saying we should forfeit the rest of the season, others claiming to be so embarrassed they will no longer let people know they are alumni. Crazy stuff.

It's the same on other social media sites. Quite a few are beginning to come out from everywhere, condemning the actions that occurred Saturday night and bringing up options, i.e. cancelling the remainder of the season and to petition the university to stop all alcohol sales inside Neyland.

Reactions: AM64
They were always going to run, and they werent going to use their banged up qb.

But we lost the game anyway, so not getting the ball back wouldnt have cost us the QB that makes us a decent team.

We could be 4-3 with Hooker, or 4-3 without Hooker. Without Hooker we have maybe 2 wins on the season left.

Well we never gonna defeat bama or Georgia anyway, which leaves kentucky as the one toss-up game left. There's no guarantee that we would beat kentucky with hooker. We'll get to a bowl regardless.

I get that people shouldn't throw ish on the field but some of the reactions are super Karenish. One guy saying we should forfeit the rest of the season, others claiming to be so embarrassed they will no longer let people know they are alumni. Crazy stuff.

It's just another reminder that not all opinions have value.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
It's the same on other social media sites. Quite a few are beginning to come out from everywhere, condemning the actions that occurred Saturday night and bringing up options, i.e. cancelling the remainder of the season and to petition the university to stop all alcohol sales inside Neyland.

Moranuses!

About 50% of the street clothes (non work) that i wear are UT but i do tend to wear even more when in enemy territory of fla or ga....took my daughter to the Renaissance Festival here in Charlotte saturday in my gameday gear..got heckled at the front gate by costumed hecklers that worked there...half-hearted....but got 2 random "Go Vols " and a couple of nods from other orange clad Vols in attendance. Have heard "Go Vols" randomly as far west as Cali, Utah, Arizona etc. Even under that ignorant gump that crawled from under an outhouse door to somehow become our coach I still proudly wore the only color that I love most...Tennessee Orange.

The fan behavior should have no bearing on the disciplinary action that should be taken against that officiating crew.

That's true, but you can't always consider things as isolated events. I know this is close to being political, but demonstrations almost always result from events that most people cannot influence and the frustration that results from the impotence. Apparently coaches can't even criticize officiating (publicly anyway so that fans know at least there's an effort); what stays hidden looks to be ignored. Maybe the game officials have been warned about the fumble that didn't happen, but the party line is that their judgment was appropriate. I'm not sure how you qualify stopping someone's forward movement when he was in the middle of a trick play and had no forward movement, but ...

The boos were getting louder and the middle fingers more prominent with every Ole Miss player on the turf. The officials are definitely walking a fine line - player safety is the important factor, but the officials should have seen the every down event was getting out of hand and they were losing control of the situation. I think the first down mark was just the final straw. He likely didn't make it, but the mark looked pretty much where the knee hit rather than where the ball might have been - human anatomy on that play says they probably weren't in the same place.

The appropriate response would be for the SEC to say they are taking a hard look at players hitting the dirt and on what constitutes forward motion in trick plays - the Statue of Liberty doesn't move - even the on field imitation. However, I fully expect the SEC to hide behind the fan's reaction as an excuse to ignore the obvious and just ratchet up discussion about poor officiating and no perceived solution. There could always be another "Tennessee rule" about unusual on field events though - remember the NC and LSU games.

That's true, but you can't always consider things as isolated events. I know this is close to being political, but demonstrations almost always result from events that most people cannot influence and the frustration that results from the impotence. Apparently coaches can't even criticize officiating (publicly anyway so that fans know at least there's an effort); what stays hidden looks to be ignored. Maybe the game officials have been warned about the fumble that didn't happen, but the party line is that their judgment was appropriate. I'm not sure how you qualify stopping someone's forward movement when he was in the middle of a trick play and had no forward movement, but ...

The boos were getting louder and the middle fingers more prominent with every Ole Miss player on the turf. The officials are definitely walking a fine line - player safety is the important factor, but the officials should have seen the every down event was getting out of hand and they were losing control of the situation. I think the first down mark was just the final straw. He likely didn't make it, but the mark looked pretty much where the knee hit rather than where the ball might have been - human anatomy on that play says they probably weren't in the same place.

The appropriate response would be for the SEC to say they are taking a hard look at players hitting the dirt and on what constitutes forward motion in trick plays - the Statue of Liberty doesn't move - even the on field imitation. However, I fully expect the SEC to hide behind the fan's reaction as an excuse to ignore the obvious and just ratchet up discussion about poor officiating and no perceived solution. There could always be another "Tennessee rule" about unusual on field events though - remember the NC and LSU games.

There won't be a "Tennessee rule" this time. Sankey and the media have managed to use the trash-throwing to completely distract from the fake injuries and garbage officiating. If you look at most of the stories about it they don't show a clip of any of the bad calls and say players were cramping up, then chide Tennessee, make some references to the Schiano debacle, and opine about how bad the fan base is.

There won't be a "Tennessee rule" this time. Sankey and the media have managed to use the trash-throwing to completely distract from the fake injuries and garbage officiating. If you look at most of the stories about it they don't show a clip of any of the bad calls and say players were cramping up, then chide Tennessee, make some references to the Schiano debacle, and opine about how bad the fan base is.

Sounds a lot like you read the SI Pat Forde article - a pretty trashy hit piece from an obviously biased clown - so wrong in so many ways. I'm generally open to listening to someone else's point of view, but reserve the right to disagree; Pat Forde isn't worth listening to. It's more of the you have no right to disagree if we don't agree with what you think. It's this line of thought (and that of sanctioning bodies) that create more problems. The threads elsewhere in this forum about people refusing to work also point out the bit about those who have control should wield that power more wisely.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Said my last goodbyes today for some of the people I've worked with over the past seven years. My last day was Friday, but finished moving the last of my stuff out of the office today.

I didn't leave in bridge burning fashion since I don't really hold anyone ill will. And it's better to keep that avenue open for the future just in case. Most of the people I talked to were understanding and supportive of the move. There were a couple of bitter people, but overall the response was positive.

Anyway, anyone hiring?

Sounds a lot like you read the SI Pat Forde article - a pretty trashy hit piece from an obviously biased clown - so wrong in so many ways. I'm generally open to listening to someone else's point of view, but reserve the right to disagree; Pat Forde isn't worth listening to. It's more of the you have no right to disagree if we don't agree with what you think. It's this line of thought (and that of sanctioning bodies) that create more problems. The threads elsewhere in this forum about people refusing to work also point out the bit about those who have control should wield that power more wisely.
I read a few. SI, probably Yahoo, etc. All followed the same basic formula. Found one that at least conceded the Ole Miss guys might be flopping.

Yes. Straight garbage articles, one after another. No mention of the injury flops or lack of officiating. The fans just erupted and began trashing the field, for no apparent reason. More or less.

Yes. Straight garbage articles, one after another. No mention of the injury flops or lack of officiating. The fans just erupted and began trashing the field, for no apparent reason. More or less.

Yep. If the writers start off that fans were upset by a bad spot, then you pretty much know the article is going to be garbage. Anybody watching the broadcast could see and hear the increasing anger over the continual flops. Nobody could have been satisfied with the TD that wasn't, but fans absorbed it and went on. If there were any validity in a lot of the articles, trashing the field would have started right there. The other irony is that people key in on how long the game was stopped for litter and don't bother to add up the flop time.

Said my last goodbyes today for some of the people I've worked with over the past seven years. My last day was Friday, but finished moving the last of my stuff out of the office today.

I didn't leave in bridge burning fashion since I don't really hold anyone ill will. And it's better to keep that avenue open for the future just in case. Most of the people I talked to were understanding and supportive of the move. There were a couple of bitter people, but overall the response was positive.

Anyway, anyone hiring?

I hear the UT Kampus Kops have a new Kaper.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

I think they did mention them in passing. Just kind of buzz through them with something like "in response to perceived bad calls." They never link to clip, mention the position of the officials in relation to the ball, talk about the circumstances of the flopping... nothing of substance.

The small number of fans that acted irresponsibly made it easy for these media bootlickers to gloss over it and help Sankey protect his officials so they can protect the teams that are currently highly-ranked.

Reactions: AM64
And don’t forget ESPN removed the called back TD from their replay so it never happened

My first impression of the mustard bottle on the field was that it would be seen as a classless act. Now if it had been Grey Poupon, it would have change the whole complexion of things. But French's put us right back to the classless people who wouldn't hire a damn yankee coach ... which Pat Forde brought up in his trash article.

Anyway, anyone hiring?

Are you any good at collecting fingerprints on mustard bottles and stuff?

VN Store

Back