Official Coaching Search Thread

Get on the train my dudes!
tenor.gif
Would be nice to see some excitement for a change.

Fisher’s all time .500 coaching record is a perfect representation of what kind of coach he is: meh. Not bad, probably a good coach, message gets stale quickly. Too far removed from NFL to have real NFL credibility with young stars.

Absolutely uninformed post that ignores all of the context of a 20 year career as a head coach...

Reactions: Vollifer1949
I want a coach with NFL pedigree. Players will come . Players come to school to got to the pros PERIOD.
Bring me a pro coach.

Enough of these up and comers . Enough of these put the other school on probation needs another shot coaches.

I just realized that they said an AD would be hired first before the coach but …. It has already been announced that Peyton would be heavily involved in coaching search, so they already have HC search underway.

We should have a new AD by Thursday.

Mark Ingram, former Vol (not the bama RB) who is currently AD at UAB is one of three leading candidates.

He has done great things for UAB program. He helped bring back from no football to Conf USA best team for two years straight and is a big time fundraiser ($200 million in commitments for tiny UAB).

His only drawback is lack of experience in hiring coaches. When has that ever been an issue?

You’d rather have Chadwell than Freeze? Interesting. Same offense. One coach with much less experience. I’d be interested in seeing what Malzahn could do with a fresh start
Tennessee needs a mature coach, who has experience at a high level and experience dealing with high level recruits. Malzahn checks all of those boxes but I’m not sure how I would feel about him getting the job? I mean it’s not the sexy pick, but we’ve tried that and failed. It’s not the up and comer, we’ve failed at that also. Then you throw in the fact the he and Steele, probably aren’t on the best of terms at the moment. Talk about a toxic work environment!
GBO!!

I just realized that they said an AD would be hired first before the coach but …. It has already been announced that Peyton would be heavily involved in coaching search, so they already have HC search underway.

We should have a new AD by Thursday.

Mark Ingram, former Vol (not the bama RB) who is currently AD at UAB is one of three leading candidates.

He has done great things for UAB program. He helped bring back from no football to Conf USA best team for two years straight and is a big time fundraiser ($200 million in commitments for tiny UAB).

His only drawback is lack of experience in hiring coaches. When has that ever been an issue?
I heard today, that the Gilbert guy from ECU, was on campus. Don’t know if true or not but apparently he has a couple of kids that attend UT?? Can anyone confirm either?
GBO!!

Reactions: Border Vol
Bring us a NFL caliber coach who knows what the heck he is doing. I'm done with these college coaches.
You want to beat Florida.
You want to beat Georgia.
Then you better get a coach with ties to the next level . Knows football . Players will come when they see you can develope them .NO MORE COLLEGE COACHES!!!!

Reactions: Vol Catdaddy
Question. Do we hire the AD before a coach or coach before the AD?
I think so. But it’s easy if we hire the right AD. Blackburn gets it right in my opinion. He’s proven to be very, very good at it, and he was here during the good times so he absolutely knows the expectations. Hire Brother David and that’s the first and biggest step to getting everything corrected, JMO.

Here are Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports list of potential coaching candidates

Kevin Steele
Tom Herman
Bill O'Brien
Tony Elliott
Jamey Chadwell
Hugh Freeze
Gus Malzahn
Billy Napier

Tennessee coaching candidates: Pros and cons for Tom Herman, Hugh Freeze, Kevin Steele to take Vols job
Steele would take it for sure.
Herman I don’t think would, he’ll wait until next season when more jobs open up.
O’Brien is looking to keep his name at a certain level, not kill his career. He’d say no.
Elliot strikes me as a guy that would want to step right in an already rolling program, after the legendary coach retires or move to the NFL.
Chadwell will not be considered due to his past NCAA dealings.
Freeze, see Chadwell above.
Malzahn could potentially keep us afloat for a few seasons, but I wonder how motivated a guy is who just got $20M to walk away?
Napier will hold out for a more stable program imo.
Just my thoughts.
GBO!!

I think so. But it’s easy if we hire the right AD. Blackburn gets it right in my opinion. He’s proven to be very, very good at it, and he was here during the good times so he absolutely knows the expectations. Hire Brother David and that’s the first and biggest step to getting everything corrected, JMO.
Blackburn got chewed up by the Haslams. I think he’s burned out.

Steele is not the permanent head coach. But he is experienced, knows the state and the inner workings of this program.

Steele has coached under Saban, Dabo, Osborne, Bowden, Miles, Malzahn, and Majors. 16 national championships there.
Yeah, calling Steele Pruitt 2.0 is absolutely ridiculous. He ain’t Saban by any stretch but he sure ain’t JP bad. JP has, in the span of 6 months, become the worst hire in TN history (arguably). Even without the recency bias, he’s top three worst and the fact he’s even mentioned in the same sentence with DD is a stunning turn of events. I think we were all pretty happy coming out of 2019, or at least cautiously optimistic. That is what incompetence precipitates. Rapid descent. Competence is a bulwark against the inclination to make change.

VN Store

Back