Official Bracketology Thread

I have Arizona now ahead of us after their road win against ASU. Xavier had a few teams on their schedule slide into lower Qs so TT moves above them. Cincy moves down 2 after losing on the road to Houston. Purdue now drops below Duke. OSU falls out after getting hammered. And Bama moves into that last spot.... which obviously Bama seems like a head-scratcher here, but they're expected to be favored in their remaining games projected to have a 7-4 record against Q1 teams which the committee seems to really be favoring. Even though only one win is on the road, a team like Clemson isn't projected to be any better

1 - 1)UVA 2)Nova 3)Kansas 4)TX Tech
2 - 8)UNC 7)Cincy 6)Auburn 5)Xavier
3 - 9)Duke 10)Purd 11)MSU 12)WVU
4 - 16)Bama 15)Zaga 14)Tenn 13)Zona

Keep up with the updates Golf, great stuff, I always look forward to reading them.

Do you think it’s wise to pull for Purdue to drop at least 1 more?

Saturday could provide some movement..

Michigan State @ Northwestern
Auburn @ South Carolina
Villanova @ Xavier
West Virginia @ Kansas
Tennessee @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Baylor
North Carolina @ Louisville

Lots of conference road games, gotta think a couple of those teams lose, hopefully Tennessee isn’t one and can take advantage.

Keep up with the updates Golf, great stuff, I always look forward to reading them.

Do you think it’s wise to pull for Purdue to drop at least 1 more?

Saturday could provide some movement..

Michigan State @ Northwestern
Auburn @ South Carolina
Villanova @ Xavier
West Virginia @ Kansas
Tennessee @ Georgia
Texas Tech @ Baylor
North Carolina @ Louisville

Lots of conference road games, gotta think a couple of those teams lose, hopefully Tennessee isn’t one and can take advantage.

Now that Purdue is on the 3 line, I think we pull against them.

Right now as a 2 seed in SEC Tourney we could very well end up playing UK in our first game if they end up a 7 seed as projected. Would not want to play UK for a 3rd time.

It's sucked for UK a couple times when they've met Vandy or Florida. Tough beating a team 3 times.

Things really go south after the top 13.

It’s interesting this year. There are definitely groups of parity starting to develop, but they aren’t as clearly defined as they normally are by this time of year.

It’s also really late in the year to have teams like Cincy and Xavier ranked so high without a really clear high quality win....but exposure is definitely looming for those teams this weekend.....good or bad.

For Tennessee....we will have to go to the SEC Championship game to prove our place. We’re good, way better than expected, and definitely dangerous. I don’t count us out against anyone on a neutral court. I think we are easily a 4 seed, with potential to be a 3. I don’t see anyway we get to a two without a significant amount of help.

That loss at Bama was really bad for our chances of being a 2 or 3 seed....if we had finished the year with a double digit winning streak......we would have been a 2.

Reactions: 1 person
it’s interesting this year. There are definitely groups of parity starting to develop, but they aren’t as clearly defined as they normally are by this time of year.

It’s also really late in the year to have teams like cincy and xavier ranked so high without a really clear high quality win....but exposure is definitely looming for those teams this weekend.....good or bad.

For tennessee....we will have to go to the sec championship game to prove our place. We’re good, way better than expected, and definitely dangerous. I don’t count us out against anyone on a neutral court. I think we are easily a 4 seed, with potential to be a 3. I don’t see anyway we get to a two without a significant amount of help.

That loss at bama was really bad for our chances of being a 2 or 3 seed....if we had finished the year with a double digit winning streak......we would have been a 1.

fyp

It’s interesting this year. There are definitely groups of parity starting to develop, but they aren’t as clearly defined as they normally are by this time of year.

It’s also really late in the year to have teams like Cincy and Xavier ranked so high without a really clear high quality win....but exposure is definitely looming for those teams this weekend.....good or bad.

For Tennessee....we will have to go to the SEC Championship game to prove our place. We’re good, way better than expected, and definitely dangerous. I don’t count us out against anyone on a neutral court. I think we are easily a 4 seed, with potential to be a 3. I don’t see anyway we get to a two without a significant amount of help.

That loss at Bama was really bad for our chances of being a 2 or 3 seed....if we had finished the year with a double digit winning streak......we would have been a 2.

I've seen some numbers that suggest the difference between a 3 seed and 4 seed this year are only marginal in terms of advancement. Because A 3 would have a 2nd matchup w a 6, and a 4 with a 5, but the 5s and 6s are pretty much a wash in terms of quality. The big difference to me is the potential S16 matchup. Despite recent losses, I think UVA and Nova are still easily the best teams and I'd prefer to avoid them as long as possible in the bracket. So I really hope we put ourselves in a position to get that 3 seed.

Updated odds on who gets a 1 seed per BPI:

Virginia 99%
Villanova 98%
Purdue 71%
Michigan State 52%
Xavier 32%
Duke 29%
North Carolina 9%
Tennessee 4%
Auburn 3%
Kansas 2%

I've seen some numbers that suggest the difference between a 3 seed and 4 seed this year are only marginal in terms of advancement. Because A 3 would have a 2nd matchup w a 6, and a 4 with a 5, but the 5s and 6s are pretty much a wash in terms of quality. The big difference to me is the potential S16 matchup. Despite recent losses, I think UVA and Nova are still easily the best teams and I'd prefer to avoid them as long as possible in the bracket. So I really hope we put ourselves in a position to get that 3 seed.

I agree completely. UVA and Nova are clearly the two best...I think MSU could be there with them, especially in a neutral court.

Clearly being a 3 is going to be an advantage over a 4 this year. I just hope we don’t draw an SEC team as that 5,6. Playing teams you are familiar with seems to increase upset chances.

Now that Purdue is on the 3 line, I think we pull against them.

Me too. The loss last night being the difference. The win against them still helps us as it will remain a Q1 win regardless, but the gap between us and them has narrowed enough that we can catch them.

Per bracket matrix heading into today...pretty easy to see why Tennessee likely doesn’t budge at all even with today’s loss

6 Purdue...lost to Wisconsin
7 Duke...plays Clemson
8 Texas Tech...lost to Baylor
9 Cincinnati...lost to Houston
10 Michigan State...beat Northwestern
11 North Carolina...beat Louisville
12 Clemson...plays Duke
13 Tennessee...lost to Georgia
14 Arizona...beat Arizona State
15 Ohio State...lost to Penn State
16 West Virginia...lost to Kansas
17 Gonzaga...playing Pepperdine
18 Rhode Island...lost to St. Bonaventure
19 Oklahoma...lost to Texas
20 Wichita State...play Cincy tomorrow
21 Texas A&M...lost to Arkansas
22 Creighton...playing Marquette
23 Missouri...lost to LSU
24 Kentucky...beat Alabama
25 Florida...lost to Vanderbilt
26 Alabama...lost to Kentucky
27 Arizona State...lost to Arizona
28 Nevada...beat Utah State

Last edited:
The good news is I don’t expect Tennessee to fall from the 4 seed they were being projected as, the bad news is they could’ve leapfrogged quite a few teams had they won.

The good news is I don’t expect Tennessee to fall from the 4 seed they were being projected as, the bad news is they could’ve leapfrogged quite a few teams had they won.

Yep holding steady. Going into yesterday we were expected to 4-1 or 3-2. With UGA and or Miss St being a loss. That doesn't really change. The biggest problem is that our play is trending down. Just like last year at the end of the season. Concerning w the post season approaching. Not sure what it is, but there needs to be a shot in the arm to get it figured out and to reverse course.

This would be the teams right in front/behind us on the seed list we are rooting against...

Auburn
Clemson
Cincinnati
North Carolina
Texas Tech
Wichita State
Arizona
Ohio State
————————
Michigan
West Virginia
Gonzaga