Official Bracket Watch Thread

bleedingTNorange

Will use BracketMatrix as I have in the past, for those unfamiliar with their work, they take submissions of 100-120 bracketologists and combine those results and then release their average from those.

This is their most current update: http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

This far out from selection Sunday I will start by posting bubble teams as those they have as 9 seeds or lower, then the cut line, and then teams in consideration below that cut line.

In parentheses I will also include the NET rankings as that has become a major tool for the committee to use.

Games through 2/17/20...

St. Mary’s (36)
Oklahoma (48)
Rhode Island (32)
Xavier (39)
Florida (35)
Southern Cal (47)
Wichita State (43)
Arizona State (49)
Virginia (54)
Purdue (33)
Cincinnati (50)
Georgetown (45)
Indiana (63)
Utah State (41)
—————————————
Richmond (46)
Arkansas (51)
Stanford (37)
Mississippi State (53)
Alabama (38)
North Carolina State (60)
Minnesota (44)
VCU (52)
Providence (58)
Memphis (59)

Currently: Tennessee (65)

The net rankings are just really weird. We actually moved up after losing the usce but down after winning last night. I know records matter but the net seems worse than rpi to me

Reactions: RollerVol
Wednesday’s games (bolded is team we want to win)...

Texas A&M vs. Alabama
East Carolina vs. Memphis
George Mason vs. Richmond
Boston College vs. Virginia
Providence vs. Georgetown
Duke vs. NC State
Indiana vs. Minnesota
South Carolina vs. Mississippi State

Last edited:
The net rankings are just really weird. We actually moved up after losing the usce but down after winning last night. I know records matter but the net seems worse than rpi to me

I know margin of victory has an effect, as does SOS...so I’m sure playing SC helped the SOS where a close win against Vandy didn’t.

Utah state is one id like to see fall off the bubble but the problem with the SEC they beat both LSU and Florida. That hurts badly

That I’m not sure of, I think there’s a cap, so winning by 20 verse winning by 40 doesn’t make a difference...but winning by 15 verse 2 does iirc.

I just think margin of victory doesn’t tell us anything about the real story of a basketball game

Without the dumb last minute the Vols might have even covered the line last night and that game was close.

do you happen to know our defensive rankings or defensive efficiency this year? We gotta be too 25 right ?

Obviously records alone aren’t the end all be all, but some knocking our record haven’t looked at some of these other bubble teams...

Oklahoma 16-10(6-7)
Purdue 14-13(7-9)
Georgetown 15-10(5-7)
Indiana 16-9(6-8)
—————————————
Arkansas 16-10(4-9)
Stanford 16-9(5-7)
Mississippi State 16-9(7-5)
Alabama 14-11(6-6)
North Carolina State 16-9(7-7)
Minnesota 12-12(6-8)

Tennessee 15-11(7-6)

I think we need 3 of 5, in any way, shape or form. Gets us to 18 wins...will probably need a W or two in SECT, and think we've got a shot. Can't play like last two games in final minutes. We have the ability to make other teams play "ugly", which is a compliment to our D. We need to figure out how to play the first 10 minutes of games better on offense. Seems like last handful of games, I look up and we've got something like 12 points, with 10 minutes to play in the first half.

Obviously records alone aren’t the end all be all, but some knocking our record haven’t looked at some of these other bubble teams...

Oklahoma 16-10(6-7)
Purdue 14-13(7-9)
Georgetown 15-10(5-7)
Indiana 16-9(6-8)
—————————————
Arkansas 16-10(4-9)
Stanford 16-9(5-7)
Mississippi State 16-9(7-5)
Alabama 14-11(6-6)
North Carolina State 16-9(7-7)
Minnesota 12-12(6-8)

Tennessee 15-11(7-6)

Exciting until you look at the murders row end of season schedule where we are underdogs in 4 of outlast 5 games. Looks like 16-15 (8-10) with 1 possible win in the SECT.

We will defiantly have opportunities in our final 5 games but at least need to go 3-2 to be in any conversation. That puts us at 18-13 with some nice wins down the stretch. GBO!

Exciting until you look at the murders row end of season schedule where we are underdogs in 4 of outlast 5 games. Looks like 16-15 (8-10) with 1 possible win in the SECT.

Murders row is exactly what makes this interesting. If we played mizzu, Vandy and Georgia down the stretch we would have no chance at all.

Looks like 15-16 to me. enough D to make some games close, but i agree with coach, Pathetic offense and ball security.
Oh well. it's TN and there's always Next Season.

Reactions: VolnJC
We will defiantly have opportunities in our final 5 games but at least need to go 3-2 to be in any conversation. That puts us at 18-13 with some nice wins down the stretch. GBO!
That would probably put us as a 7 seed in the SECT. A win against a team like TAMU doesn’t do anything for us. Would probably need to win another to feel good going into selection Sunday.

VN Store

Back