Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Reading Lost City of Z by David Grann over 50% of the way through. Also ordered his other book Killers of the Flower Moon, about the killings of the Osage indians in Oklahoma in the 1920s, ones who owned oil rich lands and were supposedly under the protection of the "Osage guardian program." A system which put whites in charge of protecting the wealthy Osage Indians, their money and their land.

I am buying Brad Meltzer's "House of Secrets" in the next week or so. So that's next. The last book I read in March was "Merle's Door" by Ted Kerasote (sp?). Non-ficton, about Ted and the dog he found on a camping trip in Utah and adopted. If a book can make u cry and laugh, which this one did, then it's usually a pretty good read

Recently read Sleeping Giants and Waking Gods (Themis Files 1 & 2) by Sylvain Neuvel. Now finally reading Gaiman's Neverwhere.

Just finished Rowdy by Colt and Ariel Toombs. If your not a wresting fan it will be a hard read. But Piper's life was incredible.

Star Wars: Bloodline. Not as good as the Aftermath series. I'm not a big fan of Princess Leah being the main character.

Finished The Lost City of Z, now listening to the Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. Not sure why it took me so long to get into this book. Loving it so far. It's definitely worth reading if you live in or come from the Appalachias.

Just finished the first 5 books in the Song of Ice and Fire series by GRR Martin, can't wait for the next one.

I've also just read Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Pretty good back story on him and the events leading up to the Star wars rebels series. I enjoyed it.

Just finished the first 5 books in the Song of Ice and Fire series by GRR Martin, can't wait for the next one.

I've also just read Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Pretty good back story on him and the events leading up to the Star wars rebels series. I enjoyed it.

Read the Dunk and Egg stories while we wait for the sixth book.

Reading a few right now

Quiet by Susan Cain
This is a very interesting read about introverts in a world dominated by extroverts. I am about halfway done and have really enjoyed getting to see the science behind why and how people think/act when it comes to being introverted

Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Bought all of this books and started with this. Very good but a difficult book to follow. Some chapters I have to read twice to really understand what he is trying to say

A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
I bought this a week ago and should be done soon. It received some great reviews if you are into Young Adult novels. So far I have enjoyed it because I don't think I have read anything similar to this. It takes place in multiple Londons which are all a part of separate worlds.

Just finished Cross the Line by James Patterson. May be my favorite book now.

Starting on The Buried Book by D.M. Pulley.

I keep meaning to buy Meltzer's "House of Secrets", but still haven't. So, I re-read Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" graphic novels, "Dream Country", "Brief Lives", "Season of Mists", "The Kindly Ones", "World's End", "The Wake", "Fables and Reflections" and now "The Doll's House".

Finished a very f'ed up book called "Cows."

Now i am reading the classic All the Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren, love it.

Currently reading....

Home Invasion (Book 8 of The Survivalist Series) by A. American

I love this series of novels and if I didn't have other things to do I could go through a book in a couple of hours.

I highly recommend the series if your interested in prepping, survival, apocalypse/doomsday stuff that's more realistic and without zombies.

The first book in the series Going Home follows one man Morgan Carter as he tries to get home to his family after an EMP attack knocks the grid and all electronics out. The following books continue to follow Morgan and his family and new friends/neighbors as they struggle to survive against enemies both man and nature.

Here is the synopsis of Book 1

"If society collapsed, could you survive?

When Morgan Carter’s car breaks down 250 miles from his home, he figures his weekend plans are ruined. But things are about to get much, much worse: the country’s power grid has collapsed. There is no electricity, no running water, no Internet, and no way to know when normalcy will be restored—if it ever will be. An avid survivalist, Morgan takes to the road with his prepper pack on his back.

During the grueling trek from Tallahassee to his home in Lake County, chaos threatens his every step but Morgan is hell-bent on getting home to his wife and daughters—and he’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Read The Moviegoer by Walker Percy

Reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by McCullers right now. Always trying to knock out all the Time's greatest 100 novels of the 20th century.

Currently page 16 for Pray for Darkness, and 312 pages minus the epilogue.

So far a great entertaining book focused on the human characters that need to escape the Green Inferno that is the Amazon Jungle.
Also a animal they see is talked about and see that does live in the Amazon Jungle which was cool.

The excitement is not knowing what is the creature or animal that murdered the boat captain, and this predator that is stalking and watching Ben and friends that doesn t want them to leave the Green Jungle alive, also when will this Fierce predator appear and what the hell is it.

I'm halfway through "America's Providential History," and it has been great so far. It's a well-presented reminder of the principles on which our nation was founded (and the direction of world history according to God's plan).

Reactions: 1 person
Finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Cannot believe she was 23 when she wrote that.

Now reading the Rolling Thunder Logbook by Sam Shepard.

And no I haven't read Satanic verses yet. That's the book I was looking for when I found "Shame" at McKays. I'll keep trying to track it down.

BTW The Satanic Verses is an incredible book but if I had to pick one by Rushdie I prefer Midnight's Children.

VN Store

Back