Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball. A lot I didn't know about the Boss. A very good book, regardless of you're favorite team IMO

The Monkey's Raincoat 1st Book of the Elvis Cole PI Series
Elvis hired to find a woman's husband and son. So far nothing challenging for Elvis but no doubt it'll change since him and his partner will be entering a nasty netherworld of drugs, sex, and murder.

I found a book Pray for Darkness and is set in the Amazon.
The riverboat Captain was murdered so now Ben and his friends dream vacation has become a nightmare as something sinister has been stalking and watching them which won't allow them to leave.
So seems like a combination of tv show The River, Predator, Anaconda, and I Still Know what you did last summer as in a dream vacation becomes a nightmare.
It sounds great and very interesting.
Also it's recent released in 2014 if the 2 local Barnesandnoble doesn't have it I'll order it from 1 of my local Barnesandnoble.

I decided to read 60 pages a day of a book I'm reading which is The Monkey's Raincoat.
20 pages take a break , then resume and repeat 2 more times.

This so I'm most likely to finish The Monkey's Raincoat, Blue Heaven, and other books I've started but haven't finished along with other books.

Amazing I started reading Worth Dying For a Jack Reacher book, and the person isn't wrong it's hard to put down.

I'm aware this isn't the 1st Jack Reacher book but since it is set in Nebraska plus involves a Duncans clan that is profiting from human trafficking in Nebraska plus intimidated a entire County to stay silent along with a Criminal buisness the human trafficking that stretches halfway across the world sounds amazing.

The Duncans clan will kill Jack Reacher to keep him from investigating and finding out information about the human trafficking but that will be easier said than done since Jack Reacher is a ex army soldier plus a astounding badass.
His fighting style has been described as a running chainsaw being thrown at you. Can't wait to read about him fighting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to special order from a local Barnesandnoble the fictional book Pray for Darkness.
It's available on barnesandnoble the website so I don't imagine any problems this book getting special ordered.

Just finished One Second After by William Forstchen. Scary that everything in the book and the disaster an EMP attack on the US would cause in plausible.

Just finished One Second After by William Forstchen. Scary that everything in the book and the disaster an EMP attack on the US would cause in plausible.

He has a sequel, One Year After.

Shame by Salman Rushdie. His style is somewhat difficult to follow, but very insightful and engrossing once you slow down and concentrate.

Reactions: 2 people
Just finished the second book from the Stormlight Archives series (Words of Radiance) by Brandon Sanderson.

I highly recommend for any Wheel of Time fans. Sanderson is the author that finished the series for Jordan.

I have a collection of science writing, more focusing on environmental science and science history. Does anyone else collect books of a specific genre?

I have a collection of science writing, more focusing on environmental science and science history. Does anyone else collect books of a specific genre?

Most of my non-fiction books are history/war related, with a growing concentration on the French Revolution.

Just finished Dance of Dragons and halfway through the Dunk and Egg book. Planning on getting back to non-fiction after this with Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August.

Shame by Salman Rushdie. His style is somewhat difficult to follow, but very insightful and engrossing once you slow down and concentrate.

Have you read "The Satanic Verses" by Rushdie?

For those who don't know, Rushdie is one of the most controversial writers of our times. His style has been called "magical realism", and his 1988 book 'Satanic Verses' nearly got him killed by Islamic fatwa and he went into hiding. The Satanic Verses were written by Mohammed to be included in the Quran, but because they prescribe prayer to pagan gods, muslim followers began rejecting what was written by a "prophet of God". To get out of the uproar, it was put forth Mohammed wrotes those verses because he was somehow under the influence of Satan, hence, 'Satanic Verses'.

From Wikipedia:
..."The Satanic Verses is Salman Rushdie's fourth novel, first published in 1988 and inspired in part by the life of Muhammad. As with his previous books, Rushdie used magical realism and relied on contemporary events and people to create his characters. The title refers to the satanic verses, a group of Quranic verses that allow intercessory prayers to be made to three Pagan Meccan goddesses: Allāt, Uzza, and Manāt.[1] The part of the story that deals with the "satanic verses" was based on accounts from the historians al-Waqidi and al-Tabari.[1]

In the United Kingdom, The Satanic Verses received positive reviews, was a 1988 Booker Prize finalist (losing to Peter Carey's Oscar and Lucinda) and won the 1988 Whitbread Award for novel of the year.[2] However, major controversy ensued as Muslims accused it of blasphemy and mocking their faith. The outrage among Muslims resulted in a fatwā calling for Rushdie's death issued by Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, then Supreme Leader of Iran, on 14 February 1989. The result was several failed assassination attempts on Rushdie, who was placed under police protection, and attacks on several connected individuals such as translator Hitoshi Igarashi (leading, in Igarashi's case, to death)"..

I've only read the one. I agree on difficulty of style, but after I got accustomed to the cadence of the translator's work, it's ok.

So Rushdie can and does drill right down to the core of what should be serious social and/or religious issues. Gonna have to try him again.

Will 'Shame' be the book to get?

VN Store

Back