Offense Coordinator

Serious question, has UT thrown to the TE at all this year? I feel like that’s the interim piece where you have a run game but no down field passing game. If they haven’t schemed at all for TEs, that is a bad look.

Serious question, has UT thrown to the TE at all this year? I feel like that’s the interim piece where you have a run game but no down field passing game. If they haven’t schemed at all for TEs, that is a bad look.
We haven't thrown to the TE this year much. I can remember the first 2 games we did some. We have Hudson Wolfe coming in next year 6' 6" 240 a playmaker. We have too put the TE back in the gameplan. The middle of the field is open. We used Jason Witten alot and even won a game against Arkansas in a game winner in OT it may have been against South Carolina. I was there dude. I just can't remember which game Man. I was at both of those Overtime games. But we need too use TE and a FB leading blocker in run game. I miss the lead block from the FB alot. The Greg Amslers, Roland Poles, Shawn Bryson, William Howard, etc. That was Tennessee Football!

Reactions: knoxswim890
We haven't thrown to the TE this year much. I can remember the first 2 games we did some. We have Hudson Wolfe coming in next year 6' 6" 240 a playmaker. We have too put the TE back in the gameplan. The middle of the field is open. We used Jason Witten alot and even won a game against Arkansas in a game winner in OT it may have been against South Carolina. I was there dude. I just can't remember which game Man. I was at both of those Overtime games. But we need too use TE and a FB leading blocker in run game. I miss the lead block from the FB alot. The Greg Amslers, Roland Poles, Shawn Bryson, William Howard, etc. That was Tennessee Football!

We are pretty much running the same offensive scheme as we were under Helton with only slightly better results, couple that with the fact Chaney wasn't permitted to hire his offensive staff tells me the problem isn't Chaney.

The only Briles I’d be interested in is Art Briles.. as head coach. The guy got screwed at Baylor. He deserves a chance to rebuild his image. I see no better place than here. At Tennessee.

All this reminds me of a comment by Chief Chavis when he was Fulmer's defensive coordinator and the Vols had just trashed Arkansas. It went something like this: 'I don't want to say anything bad about Arkansas, but we used the thinnest playbook I've ever worked with'. I wonder if Odom (the Hog's D.C.) was thinking the same thing this week.

Those UT offenses couldn't run on an elderly woman in a wheelchair just like this one can't complete a forward pass. Here is Chaney's stats as an OC post Perdue:
UT
2009-6th in the SEC
2010-9th in the SEC
2011-9th in the SEC
2012-2nd in the SEC
Arkansas
2013-11th in the SEC
2014-8th in the SEC
Pitt
2015-11th in the ACC
Georgia
2016-11th in the SEC
2017-5th in the SEC
2018-5th in the SEC
UT
2019-12th in the SEC
2020-13th in the SEC

In his 12 years as an OC since leaving Perdue, his offenses have finished inside the top five in their conference three times. His offenses have finished outside the top ten in their conference five times. His greatest offensive team was the 2012 Tennessee offense but they couldn't move the ball against a decent defense. His Georgia offenses were extremely one dimensional ranking 10th, 12th, and 8th respectively in passing offense. Chaney has been nothing more than an average OC in his SEC tenure

And if you will go back and check, the 3 seasons where Chaney produced the 2nd, 5th and 5th ranked Os in the SEC, he had a legit pro prospect at every position. Iows, he fattened up his stats vs bad teams he could simply overwhelm but only the 2012 O was close to being prolific. When you give Chaney anything else than overwhelming talent, he is more likely to land in the bottom 100 than top 50.

I did not think we even had a tight end on the team.

We need an OC that can draw up plays based on the personnel we have not based on the personnel we hope to have someday.

VN Store

Back